Vizio TVs? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Vizio TVs?

Are these any good? The wife and I bought a Magnavox 42" LCD TV (720p) and it was delivered Monday. Well the damn thing is broken! It's got a thin vertical line running from the bottom to almost half-way up the screen. We called the 800 number and talked to our salesman, and they both said it's out of stock and can't be replaced because they don't have anymore 720p TVs, just 1080p. Well we aren't going to shell out more money, so the wife called today to have them cancel the sale, pick it up, and close our Sears card. I guess she got a manager then, and he is offering a Vizio 42" LCDTV that is 1080p, for no extra money out of our pocket. I know it's a newer brand, but does anyone have experience with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Vizio TVs?

this one:
http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=31

i haven't critically viewed them but i'd do the trade in a second. they're very popular in large stores around here as customers wised up to paying more for the same exact panel with a "sony" or "sharp" branding.

the drawbacks from what i've seen is sometimes the styling and some little things like the remote.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

That sounds like it, the manager told my wife it's 1080p and usually $1200. But there are 4 different 42" models on the vizio page, so I'm going to call the manager myself and get the exact model. If that's the one, it has good reviews.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:07 PM

I have 2 of the 32 inch flat panels. I love them especially for the money i paid for them
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Well I just talked to the manager, and we're getting the top vizio 42": http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=35
And for what we paid for the Magnavox - $749!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:15 PM

Reviews: 3

I am in the market for a new TV myself and am seriously considering this brand. Let us know how you like it once you give it a try.

Jay F.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:35 PM

I have a Visio 42" and it is great, I love it. I'm not into high end A/V equipment so I don't know how it falls in that regard, but it is a great TV and it was cheap.

jim
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 AM

This is good info - we're going to on the market shortly for a 50" for the new bedroom - we don't do much TV watching in the bedroom, but for late-night talk shows and a primetime show or two. We don't need home-thater quality up there, but we do need a big TV becuase the TV will be far from our eyes becuase of the size of the room.
We're budgeting around $1,000

Thanks for the info!
~Kenny
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:19 AM

so now the question, plasma or LCD? i have seen great looking westinghouse tv's. that is another brand to look into....Westinghouse. went to bestbuy and the 50" Westinghouse LCD 1080 looks just amazing. i have a 26" flat panel Westinghouse for the bedroom and love it. it will be Westinghouse or Vizio for me.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 AM

Kenny I was over at the Commack Walmart yesterday and they have a 42 inch Vizio for $949. I have a 34 inch sony crt widescreen that takes up a huge amount of space. I'd swap in a heartbeat....infact, I might pull the trigger on this deal sooner than later but I need to get a piece entertainment furniture for it to chill out on...these Vizio's have been getting awesome reviews, they're the only company that guarantees there aren't any broken or missing pixels, and theyre outselling the major brands almost 2 to 1 since the second quarter of '07. Sounds like a ringing endorsement to me. The founder was the guy that used to sell screens to gateway for their flat panel lcds...left them after they started closing their gateway country stores...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:48 AM

We have a 47 inch Vizio Gallevia LCD and its great.The remote worked with our Comcast cable system without any programming.The price was $200 less than we paid last time I saw one in the store.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:48 AM

I was right near there yesterday...had lunch at the Green Cactus on Jericho on our way to Home Depot Expo by the Guitar Ctr. (the fact that we only went to expo and not to GC says something about me...not sure what, but something

We should meet some day...i'm not doing that Thrusday night in farmingdale anymore, btw.

~K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeChannel View Post
Kenny I was over at the Commack Walmart yesterday and they have a 42 inch Vizio for $949. I have a 34 inch sony crt widescreen that takes up a huge amount of space. I'd swap in a heartbeat....infact, I might pull the trigger on this deal sooner than later but I need to get a piece entertainment furniture for it to chill out on...these Vizio's have been getting awesome reviews, they're the only company that guarantees there aren't any broken or missing pixels, and theyre outselling the major brands almost 2 to 1 since the second quarter of '07. Sounds like a ringing endorsement to me. The founder was the guy that used to sell screens to gateway for their flat panel lcds...left them after they started closing their gateway country stores...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
so now the question, plasma or LCD? i have seen great looking westinghouse tv's. that is another brand to look into....Westinghouse. went to bestbuy and the 50" Westinghouse LCD 1080 looks just amazing. i have a 26" flat panel Westinghouse for the bedroom and love it. it will be Westinghouse or Vizio for me.
yeah, the Vizio and Westinghouse tvs are definitely a lot of bang for the buck. I've heard good things about them.

I just bought the new Samsung 4671 model....my 2nd LCD in 5 months, lol. But I dunno if I should return it and just keep my 65 model--I've been GASing for a new amp. But the AMP motion thingie is pretty cool though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode