Want to buy ALIENWARE Area-51 M15x Laptop any opinions - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25
Want to buy ALIENWARE Area-51 M15x Laptop any opinions

Hi all

I am wanting to buy a new laptop, and love the ALIENWARE Area-51 M15x.

Anyone had any experience with Alienware laptops and the company itself.... ??

http://www.alienware.com/products/ar...de=SKU-DEFAULT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:53 AM

Re: Want to buy ALIENWARE Area-51 M15x Laptop any opinions

Alienware is highly overpriced, get it if you like to show off to your friends... if you are practical, you'd drop the idea. Assuming you picked Alienware because of the dual-GPU solution, keep in mind a single high-end desktop GPU will beat it (by a mile) any day of the week.

I've owned many notebooks and prefer Dell, primarily because of the high level of customization and complete cover warranty. At present, my main computer is an XPS M1330 which I use for design and recording. Only problem with it is the cooling solution for the 8400M GPU, Dell needs to fix that yesterday.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
Alienware is highly overpriced, get it if you like to show off to your friends... if you are practical, you'd drop the idea. Assuming you picked Alienware because of the dual-GPU solution, keep in mind a single high-end desktop GPU will beat it (by a mile) any day of the week.

I've owned many notebooks and prefer Dell, primarily because of the high level of customization and complete cover warranty. At present, my main computer is an XPS M1330 which I use for design and recording. Only problem with it is the cooling solution for the 8400M GPU, Dell needs to fix that yesterday.
Yeah I hear you

I build all my desktop PC's so I do understand about hardware. I am soon to be moving to Hongkong with the wife, and I need to turn a powerfull desktop into a laptop. I do work in animation graphic design and play alot of games, so the Alienware seems nice and powerfull for that stuff. Yeah its overpriced, but I do enjoy bells an whistles. Kinda why I like the Jem777 Im blinded by the lights !!!

Also If im gona spend 2 grand I might as well buy something thats pleasing to the eye.

Its just the type of person I am.

when I get a vision or idea into my head I cant rest untill I have it in front of me...

its a problem but I can deal with it..

Anyone else thats ever owned an Alienware care to share. Id be interested in hearing about experiences...
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:56 AM

Since you need a multi-GPU notebook for graphics intensive work, consider the Dell XPS M1730. A friend recently bought one and he's loving it: T7700, 2GB PC2-5300, 160gb 7200rpm HDD, Dual (2x256MB) 8700M GT in SLI, WUXGA TFT Display (1920x1200).

Not exactly portable IMO, but since you need all this power I'm sure you'll be ok with the weight.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Im not getting a Dell the model I want is higher speced then that and Iv always wanted one. If you have never used one, I can nly assume you like dell because you have owned one. Iv owned Dell toshiba HP and now its time for an Alienware.

I'm willing to take the risk...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:03 AM

Those M15x's have had dreadful problems in relation to handling the heat generated by the 8800M. They just can't; the laptop is too small and the cooling solution is too poorly designed, they've been overheating and downclocking their performance as a result.

There have been various bios fixes etc from the company, but personally I wouldn't touch one of those laptops with a ten-foot pole.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 12:27 PM

The best value for money in the UK at the moment would you believe it is a sony!

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...690&CatId=2743

Got 3gb and a T8100 ... its a sony so it will need an OS format and reinstall ... but hey for £600 inc vat you cant beat it on this side of the atlantic
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo View Post
The best value for money in the UK at the moment would you believe it is a sony!
? That's not a gaming laptop.
Quote:
I do work in animation graphic design and play alot of games
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:10 PM

Looks like a cool machine. Not a budget pc but if you have the cash....

My only concern would be that heating problem that was mentioned. I would do a little research and make sure it's been taken care of.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 04:16 PM

From looking at the specs I thought there was very little difference... my bad I guess... there must be somthing I'm missing...

Certainly the CPU and RAM is as fast or faster (see below) in the cheapo sony.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

can one not add on some extra GPU power?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
From looking at the specs I thought there was very little difference... my bad I guess... there must be somthing I'm missing...

An 8800M GTX (as in the Alienware M15x) will rack up around 9000 in 3DMark06 (test of 3D performance).

The 8400M GS in the Sony will score maybe 1500. Worlds apart in terms of gaming or 3D graphics performance.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

You cannot add GPU, which is essentially a graphics card. The fact is all models of the Alienware comes with Dual GPU. Pretty much your stuck with it. Laptops dont allow for upgrading graphics cards.

i have done some research today, and the overheating issues, have been fixed with a recent Bios firmware upgrade. Also I always use a cooling pad on any laptop I own. This really helps overheating issues alot and helps to extend the life of the laptop.

The alienware has a stealthmode button which reduces GPU and CPU processing power, for quiet use and will generate less heat and less battery power.

this is great when your on a plane or in a cafe and just want to check email, surf the net or banter with friends on Jemsite

Fact is Animation requires some heavy graphics number crunching. Dual Video cards is awesome.

Im going for work purposes to HK with my wife, and I need to spend the cash on a good laptop. Iv had to cancel work on a custom guitar just to be able to afford the laptop. Im kinda upset about that, but getting a sexy Alienware PC should cheer me up.

Just aquick point Alienware Australia is charging an extra $1500 for the same spec as on the USA website. I will be buying from the USA having it delivered to a friend in the USA and then getting fedex to courier it to Hongkong where I am moving to .

Im gona save so much cash.

You Yanks dont know how good you got it.....

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 06-16-2008 at 03:10 AM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:18 AM

cool. thanks for the info... thats quite a significant difference ...

i should really know more about this stuff...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Fact is Animation requires some heavy graphics number crunching. Dual Video cards is awesome.
Right, but those dual video cards are still not going to be nearly as good as let's say a previous generation desktop G80 that scores 14k in 3DMark06. The price/performance ratio is really low with all notebooks (worse with Alienware/Voodoo) but it's the price you pay for mobility. You make it sound like this Alienware is going to be as fast or faster than your desktop, which is not possible unless you were running a 6 or 7 (or midrange 8 ) series GPU. Besides, SLI real-world performance will be roughly 40-50% higher than a single GPU solution, but you're still paying 2x for GPU's. And if number crunching is important, why aren't you looking at Quadros?

All the best though...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
Right, but those dual video cards are still not going to be nearly as good as let's say a previous generation desktop G80 that scores 14k in 3DMark06. The price/performance ratio is really low with all notebooks (worse with Alienware/Voodoo) but it's the price you pay for mobility. You make it sound like this Alienware is going to be as fast or faster than your desktop, which is not possible unless you were running a 6 or 7 (or midrange 8 ) series GPU. Besides, SLI real-world performance will be roughly 40-50% higher than a single GPU solution, but you're still paying 2x for GPU's. And if number crunching is important, why aren't you looking at Quadros?

All the best though...
Your missing the point. I want an Alienware Laptop not a Desktop, and I want dual video cards.
and just to add to your Dell love affair. Not sure you know this but Dell owns Alienware

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/g...us&l=en&s=corp

and just to further my point you cant get the speed and graphics power of the Alienware m15x in any other laptop unless its a 17 inch.

I dont want a 17inch laptop
It renders the whole portabilty of a laptop useless. The quadro only comes in a 17inch laptop cause thats all it will fit.

The deal is that the Alienware Area51 M15 is the fastest 15inch laptop available period. This is why I want it.....

I do understand you dont like the Alienware, cause you seem to be wanting me to go Dell for some reason. Like I said been there done that...

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 06-16-2008 at 05:59 AM. Reason: I always re read my post and change my mind about something arrrgghhh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode