Wanted to Share - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Wanted to Share

Hey guys, my district is planning on changing our schedules in highschool to this crappy 6 period schedule which would take away our time to do AP classes and it would add to the hw workload and also take even more time away from our time to work after school. So many of us have been going to board meetings and trying to convince the directors to not change the schedule. It will save money by cutting jobs and classes and books we need is their argument but they seem to have money to waste on crappy statues, new football fields for schools and a lot of money to pay their salarys which are actually much higher than the salary they should be getting. Somehow they managed to like triple their salary, but no they have no money....

My highschool has made local headlines because we arranged a sit-in to protest the schedule change that would take away so many classes and cut teachers jobs. The vote on the schedule is today so hopefully we made a little change. Btw we did go to their meetings and tried to talk to them but they wouldnt even make eye contact so it came to protest. I am kinda watching the board meeting right now so sorry if I didnt finish an idea or left something out.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/...lf-coast-high/

btw a lot of kids were idiots at the protest because some were just there to get out of class
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 06:58 PM

Re: Wanted to Share

I'm guessing you have a block schedule? I've always had a 6 period schedule and I assure you it sucks.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

yes we have block and Ive had many schedules and I think block is the best. I am watching this board meeting with my mouth open, people are yelling people are flipping people off and board members are fighting with one another even. This dysfunction is horrible, only one man on the board we got to. He voted to have a vote on if he could revote (yeah I know...) he got pisssssed because they were screwing him over and I am not sure due to all the confusion but I believe they are going to 7 period day but idk if they are doing what they said earlier about making it block next year then possibly changing it. If it is block next year no worries for me but I will still fight for the kids who will get 7 even if I get block my last year
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Banned

never heard of a block schedule
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
never heard of a block schedule
it is like an hour and 40 minute class(maybe like 10 min off lol) rather than the 7 period schedule which is I think 45 min per class. Which they are cutting our time to learn AP material in half with the new schedule and they want to now even with block. Also it makes more homework on us because my teachers are A holes and give like 4 hrs a night per teacher >_>. Also with orchestra, band, culinary and some others, it will be almost impossible to get anywhere in class because it takes like 20 min to tune the full class and it takes mroe than 45 min to cook most things

btw
they are cutting the ESE program, JROCT and other programs because of money....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 PM

I had a 7-period system in the high school I graduated from. I took 3 AP courses, was heavily involved in the school band program, and worked 30 hours per week (graduated with a 3.74 too) and I never had too much trouble. Switching to that system will not be nearly as bad as you are making it out to be. It sucks that all those jobs will be lost and that the money is being handled poorly enough that this is how they choose to fix it, but the system itself isn't going to be nearly as bad as you are making it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meedlyx10 View Post
I had a 7-period system in the high school I graduated from. I took 3 AP courses, was heavily involved in the school band program, and worked 30 hours per week (graduated with a 3.74 too) and I never had too much trouble. Switching to that system will not be nearly as bad as you are making it out to be. It sucks that all those jobs will be lost and that the money is being handled poorly enough that this is how they choose to fix it, but the system itself isn't going to be nearly as bad as you are making it.
I've had a 7 period system, trust me... and this district's system is sooo weird. Also 3 AP's a year? or just 3? because I was planning on doing 5 ap's next year actually and I've already taken 3. 5 ap's will be hard but I do apply myself very hard in school, I have a 4.5 gpa and I have national merits. But I am not taking one of these AP's with the new schedule. (maybe one of the ones that is half a year on block because that will still act as a the same length of learning for the class).
I can see how AP could work with 7 classes but not such a fast conversion, the teachers have to now tailor their curriculum and I don't think they will have time to get it working by next year.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 PM

Wow, I had the seven period system and I turned out fine. Actually, I took AP too. I think this is overreacting to the change (it is highschool though and that's they way it goes).

To be honest even if you take AP some Universities wont recognize them and your highschool teachers may have not been as good as a uni prof. And when you get into a class you'll find out that you should have taken the Univiersity course anyways because you're behind in the next class up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Wow, I had the seven period system and I turned out fine. Actually, I took AP too. I think this is overreacting to the change (it is highschool though and that's they way it goes).

To be honest even if you take AP some Universities wont recognize them and your highschool teachers may have not been as good as a uni prof. And when you get into a class you'll find out that you should have taken the Univiersity course anyways because you're behind in the next class up.
I know it can work, but if you have been in this district you will know they don't know how to manage, even their block is faulty. Their 7 periods though are completely off, and we won as of about 2 hrs ago. Block for at least another year, and it is possible it will go on. From all the stats it showed that our system did exponentially better on block and the students wanted it so we managed to get the majority
sooo many teachers, students and parents turned out I think they were kinda scared

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode