Wasps nest in my custom shop ???? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Wasps nest in my custom shop ????

OK, I've just finished water proofing my garden shed and also spent a little bit of money making it secure, only to come home tonight and find the beginings of a wasps nest hanging from the cieling.
I've had a long running arguement with this very same wasp for about 2 days now. He started out by creeping into the gap of the door and buzzing around whilst I was working. I made it clear to him that he'd best not hang around as I'm a little bit afraid of wasps and I wouldn't hesitate to nitro cellulose his ass....
...Anyway it turns out he's a plucky little fella and he's decided to start building a nest in my shed. It's about the size of an upside down egg cup at the moment but I've seen these things grow to the size of footballs before. The thing is I had a look inside it tonight and it looks like there's some small black things there (didn't dare check it out too closely). Now I'm no fan of wasps and I've got all manner of spray paints that would easily cure my problem but I do have a feeling that it would be cold hearted killing and perhaps there's a way of "relocating" them without me being stung or them getting hurt.....

...any ideas ???

Ben

Last edited by Eggy; 04-24-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Re: Wasps nest in my custom shop ????

What I didn't mention was that the things inside the nest kinda looked like his family and having recently started my own family I couldn't bear the thought of coming home to find somebody had lacquered them. The whole straight out killing them off just seems a bit hardcore for me and I'd prefer to find a sort of middle ground..
..Don't get me wrong though, If he'd have stung me already I'd have poured lighter fuel on his family and waited til he got home to torch them. But as things stand , that's just not my bag.

Ben
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 08:18 PM

get a thick garbage bag and slowly creep up on it.. get it in there close it up and take it where ever and then run like a god darn cheetah is behind you cause him/they are going to be pissed LOL
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 08:21 PM

Sorry to hear about this, I hate wasps and bees. I'd be getting rid of that nest real quick.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 08:41 PM

Go give a call to your local pest control.. pay some other guy to take it away and get stung.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:06 PM

I'd say just get some of that industrial strength 20' (7 metres) spray and nuke their wasp-asses clean to hell.....

but that's just me. I hate them things
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
Sorry to hear about this, I hate wasps and bees. I'd be getting rid of that nest real quick.
+1 I'm afraid of bees and wasps, I'll squat one if I see em near me.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 04:26 AM

If you're unsure of what to do, contact your local pest control. If it were me, I'd destroy it myself the best way possible simply because of my history with them.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:03 AM

Go to B&Q and get wasp and nest killer spray. It's brilliant, it will reach 20 foot, so you can stay a safe distance away.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Not exactly BBC Wildlife quality camera work but I did manage to get a photo of him .

As soon as he leaves the nest alone and flies out the door I'm gonna have to bag it and bin it.
He keeps buzzing round my head while I'm sat at my workbench and frankly it's putting me off.

Ben
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:26 AM

That looks scary. Don't touch it. He'll know when the nest is in danger, wait til he's there then spray it. Go down B&Q or somewhere, only about £4 a can and well worth it. I did one in my loft with it.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:27 AM

That's not a wasp; it's a hornet. They are very defensive of their nest and will sting aggressively. No safe way to relocate the "family", IMO, so I'm with Ant1981. Wait until nightfall and nuke it with spray.

And I'm no bug-o-phobe; I coexist peacefully with a couple species of wasp around my home - Mud Daubers & Potter wasps. But hornets & yellowjackets get the boot.

Last edited by JESTER700; 04-25-2006 at 11:15 AM.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:31 AM

I recommend exterminate with extreme prejudice. And believe it or not, I'm an advocate of insect relocation.

I even take spiders outside and let them go..

That, however, is a hornet nest, and his dumb ass shouldn't have built it in your shop. Therefore, Darwin must rear his ugly head..
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:39 AM

Hornet? Oh shi*t, don't mess with those, me and a few friends know all about thier defenciveness - one drunken summers evening.

Get the spray, save yourself.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Uhm, I'm not sure ? I don't know if we get hornets in my part of England or not ?
It could just be the photo, It's not realy in focus as I had to keep ducking my head when he decided to fly around.
Anyway, I tried the relocation idea when he'd flown away and the nest was thinner than paper, it just crumpled in my hand (which was inside a plastic bag BTW). It seemed to be stuck to the roof with some kind of natural super glue and I ended up breaking it. The wasp came home and seemed p*ssed that i'd fu*ked up his home, so I got a bit nervious and whacked him with a rolled up newspaper.
It seems a shame realy as I'm not into killing stuff (I once flat spotted two front tyres just to avoid running over a rabbit) but that wasp was in an enclosed area with me and realy "my shed's not big enough for the both of us".
RIP Wasp

Ben

Tags
clear coat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode