Ways to 'fix' calluses - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Ways to 'fix' calluses

Basically, I have a problem with my fingertip skin tearing. It's not like "Oh crap there goes my last layer of skin better find a few band aids" but it's annoying having your finger's skin flake off, and it looks like I have gangreen if i've been playing guitar a lot (lol), and everytime I get out of the shower it looks like I dipped my fingertips in ice cream, or put them in a blender or something.

I think the reason I have this problem is because, before I started playing guitar, I'd often bite my skin a lot (Instead of my nails, lol. Old habits die hard). I don't do that anymore, obviously. Any advice? Like supergluing my fingertips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 01:23 AM

Re: Ways to 'fix' calluses

How about this?

It's super glue for the skin. Works good for me when the tips of my fingers crack in the winter.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Muffin View Post
Basically, I have a problem with my fingertip skin tearing. It's not like "Oh crap there goes my last layer of skin better find a few band aids" but it's annoying having your finger's skin flake off, and it looks like I have gangreen if i've been playing guitar a lot (lol), and everytime I get out of the shower it looks like I dipped my fingertips in ice cream, or put them in a blender or something.

I think the reason I have this problem is because, before I started playing guitar, I'd often bite my skin a lot (Instead of my nails, lol. Old habits die hard). I don't do that anymore, obviously. Any advice? Like supergluing my fingertips?

The Badass Stevie Ray Vaughan technique is to stick your left hand fingertips to your right forearm with superglue, then rip them off, taking some skin with you.

My less badass/painfull method is to dip my fingertips in surgical spirits.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM77BRMR View Post
How about this?

It's super glue for the skin. Works good for me when the tips of my fingers crack in the winter.
That stuff looks good. I'll check it out the next time around a store that sells those kind of things. Same thing with the spirits.

As for the badass way, I wanna keep my fingertips, kthx
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:21 AM

How long have you been playing guitar?? I used to have the same problem during my first days playing guitar. But now my fingertips are as hard as rocks!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:26 AM

Rock climbers have the same type of problem. There are products that will soften the skin, which is supposed to prevent the splitting and cracking you're talking about. Ripped calluses are terrible when climbing - once you start bleeding all you can do is tape 'em up and grunt through the pain.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:34 AM

I don't particularly try to develop super hard, dry calluses, and if they do start to get rough I give them a light going over with an emery board. Whether this is right or wrong I have no idea, but my fingertips never split or tear.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Banned

my neighbour has the same problem as you.she has to use strings made out of different metal to normal strings,cant remember what strings she uses though
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
my neighbour has the same problem as you.she has to use strings made out of different metal to normal strings,cant remember what strings she uses though
Raspberry Bootlaces?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickbean View Post
Raspberry Bootlaces?
yeah thats it
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Killer View Post
How long have you been playing guitar?? I used to have the same problem during my first days playing guitar. But now my fingertips are as hard as rocks!!
Just over a year, tbh. A lot of the people here have been playing guitar longer than I've been around

As I said before, I think the biggy is that I had the bad habit of biting my fingers before I started playing, so my fingers never really had time to 'heal up'. The biggest problem finger recently has been my index, cause I love doing lots of slides, wild vibrato, crazy major third interval bends, etc.

Tags
callus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode