Are we due for another revolution? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Are we due for another revolution?

I just finished reading "Brave New World" by Aldus Huxley and it has changed my life. Lately I've been finding myself worrying about the world in general, specifically global warming, wars, America's economy, etc.
But reading that book has really opened my eyes. We are coming closer and closer to that world, and nothing is being done to stop it. Global warming is the biggest threat to ever face humanity and nothing is being done to stop it since people are simply comfortable. Watching TV sickens me; advertisements have really shown me how lucky, fortunate, and disgustingly comfortable Americans really are.
But talking to friends of mine here in Noblesville, Indiana, I feel a slight change. Actually, two changes; something that I have dubbed the Miracles and the Sleepers
The Miracles could be the greatest movement that has ever swept the Earth, if it grows big enough. My generation (I'm 17) seems to be putting together the ideals of the Lost Generation of the '20s and '30s (mostly literary artists like F. Scott Fitzgerald and Earnest Hemmingway who felt disillusioned by America's materialist attitude towards life, and thus moved to Europe) and the Counterculture (aka Hippies...naiive, but had good ideals). Many of my friends have denounced faith, expressed genuine concern for the environment, and have simply become a sort of matured and serious form of the hippies; not acid heads, but people who are concerned for where the human race is heading, and are trying to change it.
Throughout history, revolutions have changed nations for the better; generally, this is the only way that change comes about. The colonial army against the british, the french revolution...etc. All of these have helped their current society, even though they were rebelling against what was commonly accepted as correct and lawful.
The other side is the Sleepers...which are, for lack of a better word, experiencing a sleepening rather than an awakening. They are ignorant; the convince themselves that their efforts are realized and appreciated and converted into a means to help other peoples' lives, when in reality they are just feeding capitalism and making rich people richer. They convince themselves that global warming isn't real, that in fact this is all natural. They do nothing but consume. Like I said earlier, watching TV advertisements makes me sick; I've come to realize that humans really do RULE the earth, but not in a good way. I feel like throwing up when I think about how much we consume and how much we hurt the earth and each other. But the problem is, change is now so difficult.
Business is more important than happiness. The sad truth of it all is that the goal in life is to make money and grow rich off of other peoples' labor. Now I'm not saying that we "regular" people are slaves...most never even notice that this is happening. But our work simply feeds a few peoples' greed. Our wars makes them richer. And sadly, 30 years ago, we could've had new technologies to lessen oil consumption, but these few people wanted to stay rich. And they are staying rich; it looks like it'll stay that way.
People are also too comfortable. They don't want to use less energy and drive less. That makes them uncomfortable and unhappy. (I know that I'm making this sound like Brave New World...sort of idealizing our lives, but it really is true.)
But I've made a vow not to use lights during the day, not to drive to Guitar Center anymore. I'm trying to find the best alternative to oil and use it; sadly, since I'm 17, it is very difficult to afford these new technologies, but atleast I'm informing myself about them. I'm trying to do more. I want to get some sort of petition to make my city go green. But I know that deep down, too few think like me, and that even if a ton of people did, an overwhelming number, our ideas would be squelched so that those few people can stay rich as the world burns.
I'm opening this thread for intellegent discussion; please, if you're going to tell me that global warming is fake, or that I'm a tree hugger, just forget it, don't reply. I just want to discuss my concerns with other people that have the same concerns. I sincerely believe that if enough people are aware and frightened by the looming threat of global warming, then we really can make a change. Change is happening, I know, but not fast enough. And even more looming than global warming is the fact that we will, one day, not have oil, and therefore civilization will, to an extent, fall apart, unless we find a substitite. Global warming will happen anyways, but I think that the biggest concern is getting off of oil so that wars don't start over that. Just think about how important it is: Oil runs the machines that are building our new forms of energy; oil runs the trucks that distribute food and water; it runs our tanks in Iraq. We really are in a very deep whole, and we don't need to simply "ween" ourselves off of oil, as many people put it. We need to GET OFF OF IT, like NOW. We need to look back to World War I for influence; they had "meatless mondays" and such, to ration food. We need the same for oil, and we need grants to those who are trying to make a difference. Especially this one guy that I saw on Episode 17 of the "Beyond Tomorrow" on the Science Channel: He built an engine that runs on air. Search it on google if you're interested.
The oil companies and the governments won't change unless their well-being is challenged.

This was horribly organized and sounded waay to fanatically revolutionary, I know. But the main point is that I'd like to discuss, pure and simple.
Smitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:53 PM

Re: Are we due for another revolution?

No offense but I could not read that.
post #3 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:59 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

cosmic - the mind is a terrible thing to waste you know. sure his thoughts are scattered but they're meaningful thoughts.

the thing is, in all seriousness, the OP gave more thought to things than our president, congress and house have collectively which points to where we are today.

quick someone go buy a new ipod for steve jobs or $75 hollister t-shirt (mommy/daddy paid for) to impress someone... glen
post #4 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:21 PM

It's funny you should bring this up, I've been thinking the EXACT same thing for the past four months. I read Brave New World not too long ago, it's a great book. I personally am also concerned with many major issues such as global warming, but what sparked my concern is actually something else.

Recently, I have been the object of racial prejudice in my town and in my school, being Indian-American (from India), and my town is mostly white. It has gotten to the point where my closest of "friends" have chimed ethnic slurs at me non-stop all day. At first it really got to me (my grades in school fell), but since I've been working on that.

So yes, I see a LOT of the parallels you are seeing.
post #5 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:21 PM

Reviews: 65

smitty you are right in many ways and you show that reading actually can change things.

the source of many problems is IMHO education. nowadays there opens a huge gap between educated people and undereducated people. sadly many educated people become greedy and tend to rather canibalize the undereducated than do anything useful with their education...

then there are the few educated and "aware". like you. who want things to change. but sadly we are a minority.

a quote of steve jobs made me actually almost throw up: "why make a bookreader. people do not read anymore." the pain came from the fact that he is right.

next look at what music is played in the charts... overproduced, compressed and overhyped **** with the cultural value of the average squirrel droppings.
add to that messages like "get rich or die trying" and you are done with the world of music...

the same holds true for the mainstream music etc. I dare not go on on this road.

people have to get their mind opened to see the things you see. they can only do so by: 1. a proper education 2. an eye opener
now that eye opener may be a tune, a movie, a book... but unless you really dig into this things you may be lost in TV commercials...

You know there is some truth in what Vai said once: Music has the power to shape our culture.
Sadly currently that music is gangster rap and buy cheap -> eat big commercials.

Sadly I do not really see the way out here, other than play my music and try to open up some minds by talking to people about the issues and also trying to give a good example, by driving a hybrid car, look into saving energy at home etc. (Yes I have solar collectors at the roof to power my amp hehe I am a lil crazy...)
post #6 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:22 PM

You make some very astute observations for someone of your years (that isn't meant to be condescending). Hopefully the rest of your generation will start to think as deeply.

People's' expectations these days are ridiculous; Very few university students had cars when my parents studied, a few did when I went in the early 90s, and we all had to work summers to pay our way just to eat. But these days every student seems to think that a car, mobile phone, games machines and summer holidays in Ibiza are normal things they all have some right to.

You do make one glaring error:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
The colonial army against the british,
assuming you mean your war of independence, then clearly you should have worked out by now that this is where things started to go wrong for America.
post #7 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM
HDS

Humans are the only animals on this planet that do not adapt to the environment but make the environment form to them. Which means…….
post #8 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:28 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with the entire post. Unfortunately, people won't listen to people like us. To change things as drastically as they need to, we really are going to have to start a revolution.

I've been reading a book called The End of Food by Thomas Pawlick, where he states that the nutritional quality of food has gone down drastically in the past fifty years. It's true, really. Compare an item of organic food with an item of regular food. You'll notice that the food is much more filling, and tastes so much better. It's like night and day. I've also been reading Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, and it's a very informative book. It's also quite disturbing. The thing about food today is that it's not made to taste good: it's made to maximize profits. Screw the consumer, we can do whatever we want to them. And the thing is, nobody will listen, either. I tell people about how wonderful organic food is, and they tell me, "Sorry, I want to eat real food." Real food!? The crap you're eating isn't real food! It's tasteless, nutrition-free, food-shaped objects. They all look the same, like they're made in a factory. I also went vegetarian a couple of years back, so I bypass all of the nasty things that go into meat today. I'm telling you guys, it's just like The Jungle.
post #9 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS View Post
Which means…….
pop corn for everyone?

In all seriousness I agree with what you say. Thats why I intend to have my house surrounded by earth to seal in the heat and conserve energy.
post #10 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM

my thoughts always go back through the ages...
each age does not last that long, medievel etc....
but what i return to is that the industrial revolution and industrial age is just another age, and the most efficient at consuming the planets resources for just about any reason and very wastefully - im no hippie or "green" type BTW - I just see it happening.
at some point the electricity will go off and there will be panic. unless there is a "green" age - where green sources of energy are the only available and the oil runs out and saudi becomes the poorest nation on earth....
a lot to think about really so because im already a consumer in every way and even when im a provider, I consume in order to provide.... I will teach my kids how to hunt and how to survive.....
in extreme cases it could save thier lives, if nothing changes in their lifetimes then I hope that they will do the same for my grand-children..
I do often get the impression and feeling that the way we live our lives is not "as God intended" and feels wrong - but we adapt to survive, thats the way it works...

I dont think that revolution is always for the best and in the same way im repelled by those who clearly live to work and give their lives to corporations that couldnt give a monkies who they were....
before mass transport people had to work locally, now its all about "skillset" ?? what !!! I think weve reached a point where were hndering true human development through not forcing the issue where-ever it happens locally adn making someone on the spot (local) come up with a solution....

I have much much more to say but im fed up typing and you lot likely think im mental by now

im off to the workshop now to consume several cubic metres of gas energy to make some more cool guitars

Jaden
post #11 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
quick someone go buy a new ipod for steve jobs or $75 hollister t-shirt (mommy/daddy paid for) to impress someone... glen
quick someone go buy an Ibanez Jem for Mr. Hoshino

come on dude, it's capitalism man. it's everyone's right to want things. you started an entire website dedicated to people who want $1500 to $8000 guitars. give me a break with all that mess.

it's ok to want nice things as long as you don't become consumed by them. i love my ipod, i love my jems, and i'm still a relatively good person.
post #12 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:42 PM

Hmmm and I was once told to not say anything unless I've something good to say.
post #13 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
The oil companies and the governments won't change unless their well-being is challenged.
This is perfectly formed, the goverment and oil companies stop new way's of powering your engine. Like the fuel cell and solar energy (NUNA of TU Delft, World Solar Challenge). Those way's are already their but need to be worked out for larger things like trucks, cars, trains maybe airplains.
If they (Oil companys and goverments) still make money of a barrel oil they wouldn't stop destroying earth.
We live in a 'I-world' or how you say it, we (developed world population) only think about our selfs.

I need too read the book you talked about "Brave New World" by Aldus Huxley.

Greets Jorn.

Last edited by EconoJ; 01-21-2008 at 04:00 PM.
post #14 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I just finished reading "Brave New World" by Aldus Huxley and it has changed my life.
Just curious. For those of you that have seen the Steven Seagal movie Under Seige there is a part when Tommy Lee Jones' character is having a crazy rant over the microphone about "revolutions" and closes with "Its a Brave New World!...".

Was he actually making a reference to that very book?
post #15 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:55 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem20thlover View Post
quick someone go buy an Ibanez Jem for Mr. Hoshino

come on dude, it's capitalism man. it's everyone's right to want things. you started an entire website dedicated to people who want $1500 to $8000 guitars. give me a break with all that mess.
they were $500-1000 USED and VWH $1300 new when i started jemsite (JEM10 $1900), but thanks for asking and not just spewing misinfo ...glen

Tags
ibanez jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode