We need help arranging our setlist! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

We need help arranging our setlist!

Hi all you good people!

So myself & the band have been hidden away for the last 3 months getting our setlist together, all we need to do now is arrange the order of the songs which is where you guys come in!

Could you arrange these songs in order for which they would be played at a gig?

Eg: First half of the gig (15 songs), then another 15 songs for the second half...

Also, what do you think of our song selection?

All input appreciated dudes & dudettes!

Our list of songs are :

Dandy Warhols Bohiemian Like You
The Killers Mr Brightside
The Killers All these things I've done
Queen Queen Medley - I Want to break free
Under Pressure
Radio Ga Ga
We Will Rock You
Its a Kinda Magic
Bohiemian Rhapsody
Michael Jackson Billie Jean
The Killers Somebody told me
Kid Rock All Summer Long
Red hot Chilli Peppers Danni California
Kings of Leon Sex on Fire
My Chemical Romance Teenagers
Robbie Williams Let me entertain you
Black Eye'd Peas I've got a feelin'
Lady GaGa PokerFace
Blink182/Jedward All the small things
Jimmy Eat World The Middle
Thin Lizzy Dont Believe a Word
Bruce Springsteen Born in the USA
The Police Message in a bottle
Snow Patrol All that I have
U2 Pride
The Kaiser Chiefs I Predict a Riot
Bon Jovi You give love a bad name
Gun's N Roses Sweet Child Of Mine
Thin Lizzy/Metallica Whiskey in the Jar
Lenny Kravitz Are you gonna go my way
Queen We Are the Champions
The Zutons/Amy Winehouse Valerie
The Verve Bitter Sweet Symphany
AC/DC Highway to Hell
Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
U2 Where the streets have no name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: We need help arranging our setlist!

I think we need to know a bit more about the gig...

Firstly where is the gig, is it a club gig, a pub gig or a wedding or...? This will tell you what sort of overall atmosphere you're going for and what the people will be doing whilst they're at your gig, will they want to dance or just get drunk or are they actually coming to see a band.

Next, who's coming to the gig? Spotty teenagers, scruffy students or Davey O'Hardman, infamous Guinness drinker, pub fighter and all round scarey bloke? Or will Great Aunt Edith be there in her sunday best?

When is the gig? is it a late night Friday or a saturday afternoon function... If it'll go on till later then you can't count on everyone seeing your best songs if they have a bus to catch etc.

Devising a set list is a lot more difficult than most people think Hope that us lot can help
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Jono!

Some more info about the gig :

It is a pub gig in a venue with a great repuatation for live music, they are also one the highest paying pubs in our area so we are pitching for a residency spot (1 gig a month).

The crowd who go there like their rock music & the age group range from people in their 20's to early 30's.

We go a prime spot for the gig, its on a Saturday night (the busyest night of the week), and we will be on stage from about 9.30ish to after midhnight, with a short break in between sets.

Thanks for all you input guys & if you need more info please shoot!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 AM

Reviews: 59

There's no rule to it but I tend to prefer to start of some simple stuff to get warm and the nerves under control. Songs that is tricky for the vocalist should be placed accordingly on the set list. Not too early as the voice should be warm and not too late as he/she might run low on stamina. Also it's a good idea to end the gig with the songs you think will be received best, since people tend to remember that better.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp29 View Post
There's no rule to it but I tend to prefer to start of some simple stuff to get warm and the nerves under control. Songs that is tricky for the vocalist should be placed accordingly on the set list. Not too early as the voice should be warm and not too late as he/she might run low on stamina. Also it's a good idea to end the gig with the songs you think will be received best, since people tend to remember that better.
The thing about the vocalist is definately true. With regards to ending on a high, that's a definite, but I have to say that in a pub gig, lots of folks won't remember the las few songs at all Just remember to leave them on a high so they want to come back, even though they won't remember why they feel good after your gig.

Personally I'd open Set 1 with Whiskey in the Jar because you're in Ireland, it's a great song, and from experience it really works as an opener. If you play the thin Lizzy intro, it lets those who know that version get ready to listed, or if you lurch in Metallica style, it shocks people into listening.

I prefer the Thin Lizzy version (as people hear the guitar then sort them selves out with a seat before the whole band comes in) but with Metallica tone

Let people get drunk before you belt out the Robbie Williams and people WILL sing along (or they're not drunk enough ) I'd do that late in the first set before they get too rowdy(or even move it to the second as you go along if they're not drunk enough). The closer of the first set need to be something that shows you're taking a break, but the audience feels they NEED to come back. U2 Streets would be my choice. Or Sex on Fire, I've seen a fantastic rendition of that once in a pub and everyone waited out till second set.

Sweet Child of mine is a good second set mid player (where it comes on the actual album so to speak) and I would imagine that We are the Champions is a good encore of second set closer in a pub gig, but I've never seen it myself. Mrs Jono used to be a majorette and it was her troupe's exit music with sing-along-effect as people left.

I'm a bit old to know all the songs, but watch for some sour reactions to Lady Gaga and Michael Jackson as they're a bit left field compared to the rest of your set. and take out the kid rock one, it's halloween thus winter. This one won't fit. Play Sweet Home Alabama instead

Overall I'd go for UP down up (set break) up down UP as the general pattern.

That's my take on it. Looking forward to what others say.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 06:21 PM

Reviews: 34

My take on it. Split into 2 sets. I have to admit that I didn't know some of the songs, but I guessed at the dynamics a bit.

I think that to I would normally avoid 2 songs from the same artist, even Queen or Thin Lizzy, for 30 songs, I reckon you probably need about 5 more from different artists. You do seem to have a pretty good mix in general though. I would definately like to see you guys live playing this range.

1 Robbie Williams Let me entertain you
2 Michael Jackson Billie Jean
3 The Kaiser Chiefs I Predict a Riot
4 Under Pressure
5 Dandy Warhols Bohiemian Like You
6 My Chemical Romance Teenagers
7 Jimmy Eat World The Middle
8 Thin Lizzy Dont Believe a Word
9 Bruce Springsteen Born in the USA
10 Snow Patrol All that I have
11 Lenny Kravitz Are you gonna go my way
12 The Verve Bitter Sweet Symphany
13 AC/DC Highway to Hell
14 Kid Rock All Summer Long
15 U2 Where the streets have no name

16 We Will Rock You
17 The Killers Somebody told me
18 Thin Lizzy/Metallica Whiskey in the Jar
19 Lady GaGa PokerFace
20 The Police Message in a bottle
21 The Zutons/Amy Winehouse Valerie
22 Bon Jovi You give love a bad name
23 Blink182/Jedward All the small things
24 Black Eye'd Peas I've got a feelin'
25 Thin Lizzy Jailbreak
26 Gun's N Roses Sweet Child Of Mine
27 Red hot Chilli Peppers Danni California
28 The Killers All these things I've done
29 Kings of Leon Sex on Fire
30 Bohiemian Rhapsody

Left out:
The Killers Mr Brightside
Queen Queen Medley - I Want to break free
Radio Ga Ga
Its a Kinda Magic
U2 Pride
Queen We Are the Champions
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
15 U2 Where the streets have no name
Well there you have it. Confirmation this song has to close the first set.

Tags
band , setlist

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode