What to do with old PC's? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb What to do with old PC's?

Well, some people, if not more than a few, pr9obably have an old PC lying around gathering dust, so instead of talking about the latest and greatest, why not have a thread about uses for old PC's and systems.

What do you do with them? What do you reckon could be done with them?

Currently, when the new system gets built (depending on time and component delivery, some time this week or next) and set up properly, the current machine will get semi-retired and used as a "storage" for all my mp3's and pictures, and as such I'm going to hook it up to the TV in the front room (and the stereo) and use it as a sort of jukebox through the TV (all this while still hopefully being able to play the mp3's etc from the new machine)

And then, upstairs I have a 500Mhz duron or something like that, ancient thing, but there may be a use for it, can anyone think of one?

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:08 PM

Re: What to do with old PC's?

With an old PC I'm soon going to build a MythTV. It's like Tivo, but better, and free.

http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures

By the way, MythTV can do the pictures and MP3s thing, too.

We'll see how well it works in practice.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:33 PM

Even a 500MHz Duron is a capable web browser. LOTS of people just use a PC for web, e-mail, and office-style apps, and any PIII-equivalent and up should do fine.

A pal of mine is doing that MythTV thing, too. If I had cable, I'd probably consider it myself (except that I just gave away my Hauppauge 250 since I never used it after getting a DVD recorder).
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:06 AM

As the old Unix guru once told me.. "old computers don't die, they get reborn into Linux boxes" and rightly so!!

7 Dying Trees, aren't you back in school studying computers or something?? Why not build your own linux server and turn it into a web server or something? Or if you're really looking for something to do, rent a copy of the movie "Office space" and get some ideas from that machine they trashed
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:56 AM

yeah i turned all my old computers into dedicated cs linux servers...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 01:35 AM

Here's an idea for those of you that have too many old boxes. Install Linux on them and then cluster them!! It'll really be one big learning experience! A super computer at your own home.. well.. technically speaking if they were high end computers you'd have a super computer, four really slow machines is about as fast as one relatively fast machine with four times the electricity bill.. but it IS a great learning experience!

(I actually did that once with some old 486DX's that I found and it only turned out to have the same amount of power as a PII-233 but I sure learned a lot.. now only if I could remember HOW I did that)

Note: Is it just me or do processors like 386, 486SX and 486DX sure sound a lot like something made by Ibanez? Sooner or later Ibanez will have model names that sound like 'something-ium' or 'somethin'-on'... ok I better stop before I look too geeky...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 05:57 AM

There are also charities that used them in educational projects in underdeveloped areas, at home and abroad.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannifive
With an old PC I'm soon going to build a MythTV. It's like Tivo, but better, and free.

http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures

By the way, MythTV can do the pictures and MP3s thing, too.

We'll see how well it works in practice.
That's just opened a can of worms for me
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 06:14 AM

do a server with it or you can lett it run with this
http://dl.ncgamers.net/pub/utilitair...lais_18018.exe

it will really help .... World Community Grid
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 11:27 AM

Reviews: 34

Install windows 98, and try to play all the old games I bought and now can't use. Particularly X-wing vs Tie fighter.

I also had a recording suite called databecker which was really easy to use, and that ran on 98 only.

Think I might do this actually.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
Here's an idea for those of you that have too many old boxes. Install Linux on them and then cluster them!! It'll really be one big learning experience! A super computer at your own home.. well.. technically speaking if they were high end computers you'd have a super computer, four really slow machines is about as fast as one relatively fast machine with four times the electricity bill.. but it IS a great learning experience!

(I actually did that once with some old 486DX's that I found and it only turned out to have the same amount of power as a PII-233 but I sure learned a lot.. now only if I could remember HOW I did that)

Note: Is it just me or do processors like 386, 486SX and 486DX sure sound a lot like something made by Ibanez? Sooner or later Ibanez will have model names that sound like 'something-ium' or 'somethin'-on'... ok I better stop before I look too geeky...
I have a friend do something like that.. he has his older machine running in front of his newer machine for internet use. The older one runs all his AV and spyware blockers etc....
I couldn't even begin to tell you how he has it hooked up, cause computers are his life.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:31 AM

Im trying to get mine to record hehe... like thats gonna work!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezroadstarII
Im trying to get mine to record hehe... like thats gonna work!
Well, you *could* record - just use older software (if you can find it). You can get 8 tracks out of an old win98 pentium (even more, depending on FX); people certainly did it back in the day.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klp2332
yeah i turned all my old computers into dedicated cs linux servers...
I have an old P3 that I borrowed that I use as a dedicated cs server when I game on a LAN with friends. Got the zombie mod installed - that's a whole new twist to the game!

My desktop is an old computer but aside from gaming (no AGP slot) it burns up most newer computers. Dual Pentium III-S 1.4Ghz CPUs, 2gb RAM and I have a 320gb internal hard drive, 320 external, dvd burner and a cd burner/dvd combo drive to sweeten it up. I put an ATI 9250 256MB PCI video card in here and it runs Counter Strike Source, so that is all the gaming I need...
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe
Install windows 98, and try to play all the old games I bought and now can't use. Particularly X-wing vs Tie fighter.

I also had a recording suite called databecker which was really easy to use, and that ran on 98 only.

Think I might do this actually.
That was an incredibly fun game. I have an old celeron I am going to do that with sometime!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode