What do you look for when starting/joining a band? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 21
What do you look for when starting/joining a band?

Recently hooked up with a good mate to start a new project. I've found a professional working relationship works best for me. Even though we are great mates, the positive attitudes brings out a better work ethic.

What works best for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 01:39 AM

Re: What do you look for when starting/joining a band?

hot chick bandmates never hurt. ever. Wait a sec what were we talking about
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Common musical goals, that's the most important thing for me.

There's no use if one guy wants to play Metallica covers in the garage if the others want to be doing originals in stadia...
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:25 AM

I think a somewhat shared goal is important if you expect the band to do more than an open mic or local gigs. That being said, getting with musicians with vastly different tastes can be a great learning experience, and not so painful if we are just talking open mics and local gigs.

I have learned a lot from a jazz orchestra (who has a goal of playing publicly) but got just enough expansion in music ideas by just being in their practice band every now and then. I was one of the "rock" musicians who jammed with them but probably held them back. Of course the best members were those who wanted to be professional jazz musicians and were the high school students looking into majoring in music or the occasional music major from college. But the older students like me just wanted to learn small amounts and had no goal of making it that good since we have to work, pay bills, and put those kids through school in many cases. Unlike the jazz students, we don't have to fashion compositions in different keys and different instruments and write out horn sections. That latter though is usually what makes the difference between amateur and professional. Our very own Steve Vai learned all about horn sections and he's a guitarist which may shock us. However, any jazz musician has to delve deep into horns and all types of music theory to make it work.

The non-traditional musicians like me kind of held the band back usually being unable to sight read well, and being totally unable to transpose in a musical form that had lead sheets not only in C, but in Eb and Bb favoring the horns that make up the juicy parts in most jazz pieces.

The whole experience of working with "real" musicians made me a lot better, even when there wasn't a shared goal. It's like tennis where I only improved when I played with those better than me. I do have long term goal of bettering sight reading and plan on trumpet some time down the line. The only jazz guitarists I personally know who are any good play some sort of trumpet, flute, or sax and knows how they all fit together.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 01:22 PM

I refuse to ever have a band.
I'm a very antisocial musician and it's rare when I find people I like to interact with musically.

But I do have several friends I've met over the years that I invite over to play.
I get enough out of that where I learn things and then when I'm alone, I add that to my own "view".

If I could add anything regarding selecting bandmates or jam partners, it would be (before anything musical) that they have to have a personality that draws you to them. Those are the people who are going to be inspirational to you and help create cool music because you are going to be more likely to observe and listen to the things they offer to contribute. Just some thoughts.

I guess I'm the kind of person that if I don't find someone inspiring in some manner, I wont interact with them at all. They could be very funny, or possess higher intellect, or maybe just have a good aura about them...unless you find harmony in the personalities you have in a band, you're not going to end up with music you like is my whole take. But that's just me.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:48 PM

Personalities are interesting things. The two most talented musicians I worked with were sociopaths, or basically what we called "McNaughton Rules" in law school. Where they didn't have a conscience they did have this incredibly creative streak. It could be some sort of Charlie Manson thing. When the thing came out with Phil Spector and his alleged criminal activities, it didn't surprise me in the least. He was a lot like the two different guys I played for who were both singer/songwriters.

I have jammed with plenty of musicians who weren't good or creative but were nice people and I would rather play with them.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
I refuse to ever have a band.
I'm a very antisocial musician and it's rare when I find people I like to interact with musically.

But I do have several friends I've met over the years that I invite over to play.
I get enough out of that where I learn things and then when I'm alone, I add that to my own "view".

If I could add anything regarding selecting bandmates or jam partners, it would be (before anything musical) that they have to have a personality that draws you to them. Those are the people who are going to be inspirational to you and help create cool music because you are going to be more likely to observe and listen to the things they offer to contribute. Just some thoughts.

I guess I'm the kind of person that if I don't find someone inspiring in some manner, I wont interact with them at all. They could be very funny, or possess higher intellect, or maybe just have a good aura about them...unless you find harmony in the personalities you have in a band, you're not going to end up with music you like is my whole take. But that's just me.
I'm very similar to you in the anti-social side of things. I'm not horribly outgoing anymore (I had a really traumatic experience a couple years ago that shifted my outlook on people) and so I am very careful who I make friends with.

I really want to get a band, but I can't find anyone who has similar tastes as me musically and can't see why I want to do certain things. I am not some "great communicator" either so that does complicate things, along with the fact I'm a foreigner over here. A lot of people would probably find it cool to have me around but most of their musical tastes clash with mine like Coke and gasoline.

Another thing is that I have a real defined musical direction I want to go in, and I doubt many people would be willing to keep their traps shut and just play. In that way I'm a control freak I guess. I had a possibility of getting a band together and the whole reason in fell apart is the vocalist was trying to be mr leader when he knew that I had a defined direction and I explained the best that I could about what I wanted him to do as a vocalist. I had a really nice setup that would've worked, but he shot me down (then pissed me off by trash talking someone I know who used to play in the Industrial metal band Ministry).

So yeah, personalities are a big problem.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Common musical goals, that's the most important thing for me.
This ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post

If I could add anything regarding selecting bandmates or jam partners, it would be (before anything musical) that they have to have a personality that draws you to them.
This ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post

I have jammed with plenty of musicians who weren't good or creative but were nice people and I would rather play with them.
And 100% this ^

You have to be able to stand to be around them a lot and want to play at very least similar stuff
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Independence is another one. Had my fair share of picking up ex bandmates to go to rehearsals and gigs. It becomes very frustrating ...very quickly.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV-7-BK View Post
Independence is another one. Had my fair share of picking up ex bandmates to go to rehearsals and gigs. It becomes very frustrating ...very quickly.
Yeah good point
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
I agree!

Also, sense of volume and tone is important because it is rather annoying playing with another guitar player or bass player who is thundering and drowns everyone else out and then gets defensive when you ask them to turn down...seen it happen too many time.

Also, sense of rhythm is hugely important...I've played with guys who were great players but their timing was off as opposed to other guys I've played with who had simpler playing styles but they had good meter and were rhythmically tight, which I think is much more important. I like playing with players who keep it tight and don't overplay - play for the song and keep it tight - do what you want when you get a chance to blow out a solo but that's usually a small portion of the song...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I agree!

Also, sense of volume and tone is important because it is rather annoying playing with another guitar player or bass player who is thundering and drowns everyone else out and then gets defensive when you ask them to turn down...seen it happen too many time.

Also, sense of rhythm is hugely important...I've played with guys who were great players but their timing was off as opposed to other guys I've played with who had simpler playing styles but they had good meter and were rhythmically tight, which I think is much more important. I like playing with players who keep it tight and don't overplay - play for the song and keep it tight - do what you want when you get a chance to blow out a solo but that's usually a small portion of the song...
Oddly, my drummer is so tight you can set a clock to him. He got professional lessons from a rock star and all that expense paid off.

But as a guitarist, he overplays and in doing so always loses the timing. It's truly awful to hear but everyone put up with him since he's a nice guy. It's OK just sitting on couch and trading blues solos, but when everything is plugged in and a band gets going, he shats everywhere with too many notes going to some strange meter nobody else hears in this universe. He's self taught on guitar and never learned any basic rules on guitar, but did it the right way with drums and those good drumming habits ensured he would finally become a great musician on something.

He only has one drum set which he puts to good use but his guitar collection is larger than anyone's here but that just means he can play out of tune, out of tempo, and out of context on more guitars in every color and size! We all know people like that but thank god for them since they keep the local music store profitable.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 2

"What do you look for when starting/joining a band?"

Hmmmmm.............

A fully stocked mini-fridge and some groupies..........
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 PM

Right on!!!! ahaha
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post

So true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode