What do you think of this? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

What do you think of this?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

suspended from school for long hair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 PM

Re: What do you think of this?

I remember school dress codes back in the day..... plus being raised in a military family it was "high and tight" or else. I chose "or else" late in HS!

I say if they want it long fine, but keep it clean and for Gods sake.... wash the dreadlocks somehow.... they stink otherwise!

There does need to be some sort of a dress code.... can't go around looking totally outrageous! But who decides that?
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:20 PM

jemplayer, what happened to you when you chose the "or else" in HS.
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:41 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: What do you think of this?

My kids have a dress code similar to that. I am all for it, kids need to compete academically not socially in school. dress codes bring everybody to a level playing field. Rich kids, poor kids, nerds, jocks, all look the same. So now the value of a friendship is a little more about the person rather than how cool the clothes mommy and daddy buy are. I was an absolute wreck in school, drugs, bad grades, drugs, skipping classes, drugs, rebellious, no clue whatsoever...I think a lot of it had to do with the permissiveness of the school and my parents. I'd like my kids to have a better start out than I did. However my parents were first class inattentive, dumb asses, probably what my kids will say in 25 years, but I'm trying. A dress code is the start, parents have to take the next step, and actually be willing to parent.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:52 PM

I'm male and I have shoulder length hair (2 years' worth of growth, to be exact). You might expect me to be outraged by this... but I'm not. The school seems strict on issues concerning appearance...
"Students at Kerens high school are also prohibited from wearing sleeveless shirts, excessively tight or baggy pants, mismatched socks, "disruptive hair styles" and "unnatural" hair colors, according to an 86-page student handbook."

Hence, I'm not surprised that hair length is an issue. And an 86 page student handbook? Hot ****ing damn
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:53 PM

I don't like how some people praise their hair. If it keeps you from staying in school, just get it cut. It's not a big deal. I know I felt better after I voluntarily got mine cut. But I also don't like how schools think that they can control that kind of stuff.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 02:56 PM

Reviews: 18

They should institute wearing uniforms in schools in the US. It's all a fashion show that shouldn't even occur.

Jimmy
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 03:12 PM

I watched the video related to the story. The "kids" (at least one of them is an 18 yr old "adult") are refusing to cut their hair, even though they've been suspended and threatened with exclusion from graduation ceremonies. They were given an ultimatum - haircut or suspension. The "straight A student" idiots chose to be suspended.

As my dad taught me: "Choose your battles wisely."
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

wow, not what I expected. my kids go to school in there pj's, they listen to Dream Theater and Satch if they want in school. They eat when ever they want at there 'desk'. In the summer, we'll skip school and go take the jetski to the river whenever we feel like it. They stay up till 1am sometimes, my 16 most the time. She has VERY short dyed black hair.

we home school. I'm a bit of an Anarchist. I believe we can do better job teaching our kids in whatever way they learn best. They are all straight A students, and are learning that the Authority mentioned in that article is meaningless to us. Living ina a country of laws, it impossible to ignore forced authority forever. We are subject to laws. But only because it's the way it is currently. I am teaching them to make efforts to not place themselves under another mans authority willingly. Authority olny comes from force, and at the end of a barrel of a gun. Face it, if you don't obey the laws, men with guns come to make you. Unless you can get more men with guns to show up than they can, you have to subject yourself to the other mans authority. Even if unwillingly. Which brings me back to the article. If you willingly place yourself under the authority of the school, you gotta do what they say. I am self employed, for 18yrs. I will never be an employee again.

I guess I can expect to get clobbered on this one.

Imagine this. You are the only person on a gaint island. No need for laws. Now a boaut shows up with 20 people, with money. Which is meaningless, you don't need money. But out of kindness you decide to break the island up into 21 pieces. Who's to say anyone owns their piece if someone wants to take it. That's where it all gows down hill. Ownership requires laws. Laws require government of some kind. But I'd like to live in a world with no government, no authority from other men with guns. What a crazy dream.

Rock on!
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 03:22 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: What do you think of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
They should institute wearing uniforms in schools in the US. It's all a fashion show that shouldn't even occur.
I agree and I have long hair to the middle of my back...I tell my kids 2 things
1) no on has longer hair than daddy in the house
2) you can do what you want when you're paying the bills, because you graduated college and have a career
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
jemplayer, what happened to you when you chose the "or else" in HS.
I got booted out of the house! So I grew my hair and got an apartment with some friends, and joined my first band. Then my mom set my dad straight and I moved back home for a short while. Then the choice was go to college or else..... again!

Chose to pursue music instead of getting my degree in Architecture or engineering!

It's all worked out fine though! But there were many a time I questioned my early decisions! You know, 20/20 hindsight!

So I got the best of both worlds in the end.... played music for twenty some odd years and thanks to some schooling, I now own a architectural engineering firm. But I had to hire licensed engineers to get work certified!

Priorities..... best gotten right the first time, but almost impossible when you're young, headstrong, and think you've got a Ph.D in life already!
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
wow, not what I expected. my kids go to school in there pj's, they listen to Dream Theater and Satch if they want in school. They eat when ever they want at there 'desk'. In the summer, we'll skip school and go take the jetski to the river whenever we feel like it. They stay up till 1am sometimes, my 16 most the time. She has VERY short dyed black hair.

we home school. I'm a bit of an Anarchist. I believe we can do better job teaching our kids in whatever way they learn best. They are all straight A students, and are learning that the Authority mentioned in that article is meaningless to us. Living ina a country of laws, it impossible to ignore forced authority forever. We are subject to laws. But only because it's the way it is currently. I am teaching them to make efforts to not place themselves under another mans authority willingly. Authority olny comes from force, and at the end of a barrel of a gun. Face it, if you don't obey the laws, men with guns come to make you. Unless you can get more men with guns to show up than they can, you have to subject yourself to the other mans authority. Even if unwillingly. Which brings me back to the article. If you willingly place yourself under the authority of the school, you gotta do what they say. I am self employed, for 18yrs. I will never be an employee again.

I guess I can expect to get clobbered on this one.

Imagine this. You are the only person on a gaint island. No need for laws. Now a boaut shows up with 20 people, with money. Which is meaningless, you don't need money. But out of kindness you decide to break the island up into 21 pieces. Who's to say anyone owns their piece if someone wants to take it. That's where it all gows down hill. Ownership requires laws. Laws require government of some kind. But I'd like to live in a world with no government, no authority from other men with guns. What a crazy dream.

Rock on!
Jeez Darin..... you sound like John Lennon! Hey just givin ya a hard time!

I will say though all kids must learn the lesson of respecting authority. Even the basic family unit requires that! Disagreeing is fine, but be ready to bare any responsibility for your decisions and always show respect! I was taught you have to pay a little respect first before it may be returned or earned. Oh, and to never get respecting and expecting confused!
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

"respecting" authority a is pretty strong statement. You have to be subject to it. You don't have to 'respect' is
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 04:07 PM

Reviews: 120

I can't believe all the fuss over some long hair on some guys in school.

Some residents of a small town are not open minded enough to accept boys with long hair, so they kick up a stink at the school demanding that these kids get a hair cut. Never mind the fact that at least one of the boys is a straight A student. His hair is obviously not affecting his school performance.

I'm sorry but I think this is ridiculous. I can understand enforcing a school dress colour code and that sort of stuff, but forcing someone to cut their hair because some backward thinking people just cannot get over the fact that a boy might have long hair. That is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard.

People need to get over such superficial things and just move on...
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
"respecting" authority a is pretty strong statement. You have to be subject to it. You don't have to 'respect' is
I kinda see your point. But it's kinda like dealing with wildlife and the wilderness..... you'll be subjected to it, but if you don't have a healthy respect for it's powers you'll surely get "bit" by it when you least expect it!

Last edited by jemplayer55; 01-09-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Added Darins quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode