What earbud "headphones" do you recommend - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

What earbud "headphones" do you recommend

I have had the $40 sony's and really liked them but after a few years and a couple pairs later, i needed to try something new. i'm not a bose fan and have looked at shure, seinheiser (sp?) and finally got a pair of klipsch (GARBAGE!) i read reviews and spent $70 on these cheaply made, ok - sounding earbuds. the left bud just completely went out this morning. i rely heavily on my tunes, as i have a 4 hour commute daily to work....3 hours of it by train! i don't want to spend a fortune but don't mind going around $75 or so give or take, if they sound good. I don't want mud. You guys would be the best to ask since of course you're musicians / audio lovers.

thanks!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 AM

Re: What earbud "headphones" do you recommend

They've discontinued them now, but my favourites are the Denon AHC-551 earbuds. They're machined aliminium and therefore pretty durable, and they do sound brilliant too.

I also wouldn't ever buy earbuds without replacing the eartips. Comply foam eartips are the best thing since sliced bread, when it comes to portable audio.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

I posted a few huge bargains recently but the search starts and ends with UltimateEars in my book. Now that logitech bought them you find "dented box" and other clearances taking $150 phones down to $49. I have the Triple-Fi.10 (expensive) and SuperFi.3 Studio both which have fully replaceable wires so when the ends fray you don't toss the 'phones. Sound great, etc.
http://ultimateears.com/en-us/produc...al-accessories

I wouldn't rule out on-the-ear phones either for certain uses as well as over the ear, but you asked about earbuds... glen
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 12:46 PM

Reviews: 9

I tried lots of different ones like wesc, skullcandy, sony, akg, bose, shure, sennheiser, beats, and some brands that I nvr heard before (ex: iWantit)
I owned like 8 pairs of skullcandy headphones and they look awesome but breaks after a week. AKGs are really nice but they look horrible and too pricy. Beats are just pricy because of their brand and the audio sucks. I really like the sonys because they are not too expensive, decend audio quality, looks cool and never breaks. But since u wanna try somethin new, I would try wesc. They arn't that great if you are a audio freak, but they are great if ur using them outside or listening in the train.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

thanks Guys! i have heard great things on the ultimate ears Glen. i may check those out. i have over the ear in the studio and love them but won't bring them on the train...not to sound stupid but with gel in the hair, on the way to work, they will matt down my head, so it's earbuds. thanks again you guys!

as long as things work great i don't mind staying with brands. i wonder if best buy carries ultimate ears? i would like to get something tonight, as i have nothing.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 02:07 PM

If sound quality is important to you, why not go with a good set of phones?
In my experience, there is no good sounding earbuds. Even high priced dual driver in ear monitors sound like crap.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 PM

I'm with Musikron. No in-ear buds will ever sound as good as a decent pair of headphones.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 05:52 PM

Rocketfish is farily inexpensive.....$25-$30 USD...

I like them, I check my mixes on them and they to translate well from my studio to those earbuds...

It is worth a try
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 PM

Reviews: 11

The best most cost effective in ear buds are skullcandy, no dobt. Check em out, they are quite good for the money. Sennheisers? No, but they are good enough for non pro work. I listen to a lot of trance in them and love it. fairly dynamic.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 10:11 PM

Meelec M9. I have them, I used to have two pairs of skull candy Ink'd earphones but they broke quickly and are nothing in comparison to these. The m9 has aluminum housing, amazing sounding drivers, braided wiring, and comes with like 4 pairs of extra different sized tips and a case. Check the reviews. I can now here the smallest detail in clarity that I couldn't hear before in songs. http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_...-m9-sl-mee.htm
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizukster777 View Post
I owned like 8 pairs of skullcandy headphones and they look awesome but breaks after a week.
You do know you're only supposed to put them in your ears, right?

Just got moved into our new, super-open plan office, no white noise, and for the first time ever have started bringing an iPod into the office. Skullcandy's pretty comfortable over a relatively long duration and I haven't managed to break 'em yet
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

i have been seeing a lot of this skullcandy everywhere and the price has scared me to tell you the truth. i went to best buy and spent a long time looking at the skullcandy and senheissers and sonys. i was going to order ultimate ears from their site but $$ wasn't quite in the budget for them. haven't had sony in awhile and decided on them over the senheisser. they were $65 noise cancelling inner ear, like the rest, but with much larger drivers. MDR EXR something or other, can't remember. I really like them and they're pretty comfortable. good highs, tight base, proper midrange...just perfect. no mud. Down the road i'm going to have to try the skullcandy just to see, or the senheissers.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM
site founder 0% owner

best buy sells mainstream stuff at 2x the online cost. skull candy is ok for cheap, mediocre headphones but lets keep it real...

$46 (these are better than any SK phones but not my choice)
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-...3826836&sr=8-4

$80 (highly discounted, although can be found cheaper on occasion. very good)
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-...3826924&sr=1-4
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

I'll agree best buy CAN be a little more pricey but these aren't the $40 sonys. These have the large drivers with 8 sets of noise cancelling buds. You can tell by looking they aren't your normal buds. I have seen them for $2 more or less in other places. I really LOVE these things and can't imagine there being better...although I really do need to try the ultimate ears sometime.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Reviews: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyH View Post
You do know you're only supposed to put them in your ears, right?
cheap n weak plastic for a headphone material doesnt seem to work for me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode