What five songs/solos changed the way you played guitar? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

What five songs/solos changed the way you played guitar?

1 Van Halen Eruption

The thing that blew me away was the entire first Van Halen album and I saw guitar as more than a backing instrument. Eruption gave a whole new generation a few good tricks. These guys were not just another hard rock band nor were they another pop band, but something totally unique.

2 Joe Pass Virtuoso

When can a guitar sound like more than one player? Joe Pass. When I wanted to hear stuff outside of rock and roll, my friend introduced me to the late great Joe Pass. He didn't hide behind studio tricks and effects and nothing was as artistic as his passages from anything I ever heard in rock.

3 Joe Satriani Surfing with the Alien

To me this is the pinnacle of shred guitar and perhaps the thing that started it all in an all instrumental context. While there were players who surpassed Van Halen, this guy rewrote what it meant to shred. When I heard his playing on the title track, I literally thought that what he was doing was truly impossible.

4 Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit

Simplicity can be effective.

I am waiting for the next big thing and that will be my #5 on this list.

What songs/solos changed you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 04:29 PM

Re: What five songs/solos changed the way you played guitar?

Really too hard to say because there's been so many but quick five....
Crazy train-Ozzy
Cowboys from hell-Pantera
Get you back-Shawn Lane
Far beyond the sun-Yngwie Malmsteen
Technical difficulties-Paul Gilbert
And the list goes on and on and on.....
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM

Reviews: 15

Deep Purple - Highway star
Rainbow - Stargazer
Gary Moore - The Loner
Dokken - Kiss of Death
Yngwie - Rising Force
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 07:26 PM

Reviews: 15

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Black Sabbath - Ironman
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Van Halen - Poundcake
Vai - FTLOG
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Talking Re: What five songs/solos changed the way you played guitar?

Hi,

Carlos Santana - Samba pa ti
I was a classical player and 7 years old then. It made me want to play electric guitar

Van Halen - Eruption.
What can I say that has not been said about this one?

I don't know - Ozzy
The approach of Randy Rhoads still marks me as a guitarist.

Far beyond the sun-Yngwie Malmsteen
I actually quit guitar for some time after hearing this tune.

Crush of Love - Joe Satriani
This one came with a sound page in Guitar Player Magazine in '88 or so. It blew me away. I recorded it some days ago in a youtube video and it is in another thread

There are of course tons of other tunes

Regards,

JP
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 AM

Specific songs are ok, but I think that these musicians in their totality have had much more of a profound impact than any one of their songs specifically:

1. Ron Jarzombek: I absolutely adore almost everything Ron has ever done. I love the bizarre tonalities and the absolute brain f*cking speed. Also a super nice guy and very knowledgeable.

2. Frank Zappa: About 85% of everything he has done is pure genius, especially his orchestral work. I saw Edmonton Symphony Orchestra does Frank Zappa with Ed Mann and Ike Willis, and it completely changed the way I view music and musicians. Bands that utilize a wide range of timbres are basically using more of the available auditory pallet, and I like variety.

3. Nirvana: For raw, brute honesty. Especially early Nirvana, there is so little that is contrived about it. It is almost pure displayed emotion, in my opinion. Heart touching and heart wrenching.

4. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum: This band reminds me of a mix of Primus, Unexpect Marilyn Manson, Trent Reznor and Frank Zappa, except slightly more subtle and creepy. Absolutely brilliant band, again making good use of available instruments and making a variety of their own.

5. Steve Vai: While I love a great deal of his music (and his guitars, I own 2 Jems and a Universe) and that has impacted my playing, I am mostly influenced by his integrity, work ethic, and passion for what he does. His entire philosophy about expression and working hard as a musician is very inspirational, and I wish more people would be interested in that side of him rather than just the product of that philosophy.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM

Not wishing to be obtuse or a PITA, but I can't name any songs or solo's that have influenced the way I play guitar significantly. I would like to think that many factors have changed the way i play, and maybe they have, but to be honest it feels like it's just a function of ability and subconscious musical knowledge.

My playing is mostly a reflection of anything buzzing around in my head, most likely being a product of the last few things i listened too. As that can take into account anything from Trivium to folk/roots stuff God only knows what i sound like. Maybe i should stick to the bass.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 PM

Reviews: 5

1. Steve Vai - Windows to the Soul. I loved the blistering and fluid sound of his legato and tapping here.
2. Steve Vai - Big Trouble. Angular, aggressive, smooth, and exotic sounding.
3. David Gilmour - The Final Cut. Such great phrasing and tone.
4. John Mayer - Wheel. Beautiful and exactly what the song calls for.
5. Joe Satriani - Rubina.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:27 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattheadversary View Post

5. Steve Vai: While I love a great deal of his music (and his guitars, I own 2 Jems and a Universe) and that has impacted my playing, I am mostly influenced by his integrity, work ethic, and passion for what he does. His entire philosophy about expression and working hard as a musician is very inspirational, and I wish more people would be interested in that side of him rather than just the product of that philosophy.
Well put, and I agree wholeheartedly!

I will weigh in as well:

1. Gilmour - Comfortably Numb. Still one of my favourite guitar players and the 1st solo in Comfortably Numb is still one of my favourite solos of all time. Such beautiful phrasing, touch and tone. Reminds me to slow down and play a guitar solo like an angel would sing it. I think he is the total package and is brilliant in all of his roles as a singer, songwriter and guitar player.

2. Satch - Always with me. I'll never forget the first time I heard that song - it almost brought tears to my eyes...so beautiful and melodic, but also techinically brilliant, and groundbreaking at the time it came out. He started a lot with that song and album. Rubina is also a beautiful solo.

3. Steve Vai - FTLOG. Also a groundbreaking album and this song is still an emotionally stirring piece of music for me. I also think it captures what cattheadversary was saying in that you can hear his hard work, dedication and passionate expression coming through loud and clear in this piece.

4. Michel Hedges - Aerial Boundaries. A magical piece of music by an amazing player. Tragically taken too early from us. I am so happy I was able to see him perform here in Vancouver before he passed away. This song takes me to a special place and is always therapeutic for me. I only listen to it on special occasions. You don't just listen to the song - you experience it. If you've never heard it then go listen to it now.

5. Jimmy Page - No Quarter. I was a total Zep head when I was a kid. They were before my time but their music is still very relevant. I've probably spent more time learning Zep music than any other band or musician so Page's playing definitely had a big impact on me. So many clever hooks and melodies - but the solo in No Quarter is my favourite Jimmy Page moment.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:30 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattheadversary View Post
1. Ron Jarzombek: I absolutely adore almost everything Ron has ever done. I love the bizarre tonalities and the absolute brain f*cking speed. Also a super nice guy and very knowledgeable.
Intriguing - I will definitely check him out!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 09:40 PM

Songs and solos didn't change how I played, but they certainly
changed how I thought about guitar playing.(if that makes sense...?)
Solos
"Ease" on PiL "Album" solo by Steve Vai
"Cliffs of Dover" intro on the 1988 Austin City Limits by EJ
"Far Beyond the Sun" by that Malmsteen guy
"Paris is Burning" intro solo by George Lynch
"Comfortably Numb" outro solo by Dave Gilmour

Songs
"Attitude Song"-Steve Vai
"Disposable Heroes"-Metallica
"Scarified"-Racer X
"The Final Peace"-Jeff Beck
"Bristol Shore"-Eric Johnson
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 AM

1. Black Star - Yngwie
2. Far Beyond the Sun - Yngwie
3. Sails of Charon - Uli Roth/SCorpions
4. Comfortably Numb - Gilmour/FLoyd
5. Another Brick in the Wall - Gilmour/Floyd
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 PM

Psycho Holiday- Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)
The Animal- Steve Vai
(It's) A Monster- Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme)
Hangar 18- Marty Friedman (Megadeth)
Altitudes- Jason Becker
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 AM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: What five songs/solos changed the way you played guitar?

1 Always with me Always with You - It came out just as I started playing guitar and I HAD to learn it

2 One - Metallica started everything for me, and this was the best at the time

3 La Bamba - First thing I ever learned on guitar that wasnt a chord or practice exercise

4 Sweet Child O Mine - The TONE of Slash's guitar was the most amazing thing I had ever heard

5 Soldier of Fortune by Loudness - Akira has great tone and kick ass leads! But the Rhythms are where its at on this one.

I didn't even get to the Dokken or other hair bands!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffDaddySmurf View Post
1. Black Star - Yngwie
2. Far Beyond the Sun - Yngwie
3. Sails of Charon - Uli Roth/SCorpions
4. Comfortably Numb - Gilmour/FLoyd
5. Another Brick in the Wall - Gilmour/Floyd
3 and 4 were also really amazing things for me.

When Eddie came out, it blew me away but I knew that I had heard a diatonic shredder in the past before Van Halen and Sails was it!

Comfortably numb is one of the ultimate feel solos of all time! It's so well written by David Gilmour than even so-so guitarists posting their YouTube renditions sound good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode