what the hell...? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

what the hell...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0bj76389U

just watched the 5 parts to this.

i'm obviously pretty skeptical, and i got UBER skeptical when the dude started talking about religion and took on a whole sinister kinda tone in parts 4 and 5. i didn't even fully understand what is supposedly gonna happen to earth that's gonna screw us all up.

thoughts...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:57 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: what the hell...?

Yes. Stop looking at youtube vids. I dunno why people make these idiotic videos, but such as it is, there's around 300 possible world-ending factors at work, every day. I mean think about it: USA and Russia go to war. A few nukes, and the earth is already FUBAR.

Or: The moon, as time passes, moves farther from the Earth's gravitational field. The moon is important to tides, our climates, and so forth (source: A discovery video I saw a while back). Think snowing in Egypt.

Or: No USA and Russia nuke war, just World War III breaking out because people are desperate on account of the economic crysis.

I think there's about enough crud to worry about, and that needs fixing before we bother with whatever kills us in the future. And on the note of religion -- there have been around 5-6-7-8-9-10 priests talking about the end of the world on TV stations here. It's getting tedious.

The Earth might suddenly just explode for unknown reasons tomorrow. You shouldn't fret about random things. As Jack O'Neill put it: "We'll jump off that bridge when we get to it". Besides, worrying isn't gonna move planets.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteGuitar View Post
Yes. Stop looking at youtube vids. I dunno why people make these idiotic videos, but such as it is, there's around 300 possible world-ending factors at work, every day. I mean think about it: USA and Russia go to war. A few nukes, and the earth is already FUBAR.

Or: The moon, as time passes, moves farther from the Earth's gravitational field. The moon is important to tides, our climates, and so forth (source: A discovery video I saw a while back). Think snowing in Egypt.

Or: No USA and Russia nuke war, just World War III breaking out because people are desperate on account of the economic crysis.

I think there's about enough crud to worry about, and that needs fixing before we bother with whatever kills us in the future. And on the note of religion -- there have been around 5-6-7-8-9-10 priests talking about the end of the world on TV stations here. It's getting tedious.

The Earth might suddenly just explode for unknown reasons tomorrow. You shouldn't fret about random things. As Jack O'Neill put it: "We'll jump off that bridge when we get to it". Besides, worrying isn't gonna move planets.
yeah, i'm with you on all of that, but this seems kinda extreme. sure, any catastrophe can happen anytime soon...but a massive freakin' planet comes swinging around near earth? you don't hear of that every day.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 09:10 AM

Reviews: 3

Don't forget all the Nostradamas stuff too. http://www.nostradamus101.com/
Then all the planets were going to align and poof. Only God knows.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 10:32 AM

The mass hysteria created if the idiots release this on the news ensures we'll kill ourselves before the planet hits us.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Reviews: 21

I only skimmed through a few minutes of this but the concept seems to be very much crap and very much about making money off fear.
First off, lots of people are making a big deal of 2012 - probably because of the way the Mayans calculated their calendar. The Mayans simply got tired of calculating the years out and just stopped at 2012. Their calculations can be used to calculate the next cycle in their calendar. You can probably do this at home if you'd like. It might be easier now that we have these nice sophisticated calculators called "computers".
I'd also like to think that NASA would spot (and track) a planetoid-sized object on-approach to Earth. December 2012 is 3 years away, but 3 years is barely a nanosecond in galactic scope. It takes Haley's Comet roughly 40 years to make it back to Earth from somewhere around Neptune. The idea that a Kuiper Belt object can get here in less time is just plain silly! Also, we don't really have any true photos of Pluto! How the hell did they see Planet X?!?
Lastly, I would worry more about the Apophis asteroid, which has a track that brings it very close to Earth twice over the next few decades. Even as close as it will get, it has a very low probability of hitting us so I'm not really worried about that one at all. My point is that if we can track Apophis, we would probably have a better track on a larger Kuiper Belt object that's (apparently from this video's predictions) traveling much faster! :P
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 AM

i only believe in 2112
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I only skimmed through a few minutes of this but the concept seems to be very much crap and very much about making money off fear.
First off, lots of people are making a big deal of 2012 - probably because of the way the Mayans calculated their calendar. The Mayans simply got tired of calculating the years out and just stopped at 2012. Their calculations can be used to calculate the next cycle in their calendar. You can probably do this at home if you'd like. It might be easier now that we have these nice sophisticated calculators called "computers".
I'd also like to think that NASA would spot (and track) a planetoid-sized object on-approach to Earth. December 2012 is 3 years away, but 3 years is barely a nanosecond in galactic scope. It takes Haley's Comet roughly 40 years to make it back to Earth from somewhere around Neptune. The idea that a Kuiper Belt object can get here in less time is just plain silly! Also, we don't really have any true photos of Pluto! How the hell did they see Planet X?!?
Lastly, I would worry more about the Apophis asteroid, which has a track that brings it very close to Earth twice over the next few decades. Even as close as it will get, it has a very low probability of hitting us so I'm not really worried about that one at all. My point is that if we can track Apophis, we would probably have a better track on a larger Kuiper Belt object that's (apparently from this video's predictions) traveling much faster! :P
yeah, i realised that, if they can't even see this freakin' huge planet the size of 8x the earth, how come it's gonna come swing around us in 3 year's time...? i mean, 3 years in the context of the universe is like...literally 0.00003 seconds to us or something.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:58 AM

Beware of guys names 'HomeBake' watching too many youtube vids.

I kid, I kid...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Allow me to set all discussions to rest.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 10:07 PM

I love that little photo essay, Dante! It's amazing the stuff that's out there.
We're pretty fortunate also to be in a relatively quiet part of our own galaxy.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:48 AM

Pretty humbling stuff there man.....still, little things mean alot!!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I love that little photo essay, Dante! It's amazing the stuff that's out there.
We're pretty fortunate also to be in a relatively quiet part of our own galaxy.
I was impressed myself! It's unfathomable how our greatest and most humbling buildings are so tiny in the grand scheme of things!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteGuitar View Post

Best pic in the universe plzz have my babies

Tags
2012 , doomsday , planet x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode