What inspired you to pick up the guitar - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

What inspired you to pick up the guitar

What event inspired you to pick up the guitar what event like a song or video or film or somthing also which song had the most effect on you growing up what inspired you to keep picking up your guitar .

Last edited by Markice9; 02-25-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: What inspired you to pick up the guitar

Mine was watching Back to the future and seeing Marty Mc Fly play Johnny be good . The song that effected me most was Flying in a blue dream by satch or maybe eruption can`t decide lol
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:55 AM

Reviews: 25
Re: What inspired you to pick up the guitar

playing piano from age 4 to 11, I complained to my parents who pushed me to play the piano each day, said that I could quit the piano, only if I chose another instrument....

and the rest is history
post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 AM

Not to get to personal or to tell a sob story but im young I hit a really hard spot got in with the wrong people awhile ago, parents brought me a guitar opened up the world to me in a new way, I started to practice then I found you guys, yup jemsite, was determined to learn how to play like Vai and Satch and to own a jem that's my story!
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Banned

i bought a ozzy video (the ultimate ozzy) and jake e lee's guitar solo just blew me away.also yngwie malmsteens solo from heaven tonight.i didnt last long with guitar cos there was nobody around to give me lessons.but this day i was on the beach and this guy had van halens 5150 album blasting really loud and i thought holy **** thats amazing,so i went out bought more gear and found a guy that did lessons.
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:17 AM

Well, back in the early 80's a friend introduced me to Iron Maiden. After hearing Killers for the first time, I didn't really have a choice, I HAD to play guitar.

Rock on!
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:53 AM

watching scorpions world wide live video.
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 09:31 AM

Reviews: 5

I had decided to play drums (not sure why). I had a "practice pad" and sticks and was listening to the radio playing along the night before I was going to the music store to pick out a drumset. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" came on, and (my parents listened to Simon and Garfunkle, and John Denver) hadn't known a guitar could be so inspiring. The next day I bought a Squire Strat...
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 AM

When I was about 11 I saw the video for Mr. Big - Addicted to That Rush on Hard n' Heavy video magazine (remember that?) and decided then and there that I wanted to be Paul Gilbert when I grew up. I didn't know that guitars could sound, look, or be played like that! That combined with the fact that my dad and older brother played guitar before me made it a no-brainer.

My first guitar was a hand-me-down POS, but my second was a Jewel Blue EX370 because it was the closest thing to a PGM100 that I could afford. Then I got pink DiMarzio's. 17 or so years later, I am absolutely nothing like Paul Gilbert but he's still my hero.
post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:08 AM

Seeing The Beatles on "The Ed Sullivan Show" when I was 2 1/2. I started asking for a guitar before the next commercial came on.
post #11 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 AM

The 12 string sound in Bostons tune "More Than A Feeling"
post #12 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 PM

Reviews: 59

I listened to good classic rock music growing up (thanks mom and dad) and played piano for a couple years. That inspired me to pick up a tennis racket and play some good old air guitar. It wasn't until I was around 13, when my friends started to get instruments and mess around with rock music, that I got the fever...and the only cure for it was more cowbell...
post #13 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 PM

This guy

post #14 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 PM

My dad plays, albeit it not that well. I remember hearing him playing the theme song from top gun and thinking, "that sounds awesome!".

It's now, 7 years later, reached the stage where he's asking me for lessons
post #15 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:23 PM

Reviews: 120

Well the first album I really remember digging as a kid was Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast. I would have been maybe 3 or 4 years old when I first remember hearing it. At that moment I knew I loved the sound of guitars.

My Dad had a sort of cut out flying V bits of body and neck that his Dad cut out of some cheap wood. My Dad when he was doing electronics as a teenager was going to try and build it, but gave up (plus the wood was crappy). I found it, nailed the neck to the body, put some nails in as mounts for elastic bands, and I would bash that around for a while (maybe 8 years old when found the bits).

Rocked out on my tennis racket for a few more years, and when I was 11 really heard AC/DC for the first time, and thought that Angus Young was amazing. When I was 12 I finally asked for a guitar for Christmas, and thats' where it really all started.

Sorry for the long story.

Tags
favourite song

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode