What operating system do you use and why? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
What operating system do you use and why?

I use Ubuntu 10.10, and never looked back. i love how you can customize everything, how easy it is, how user friendly it is, the look of it, how its free, and how fast it is. i can usually go from a cold start to being on the internet in about 40 seconds ( it could be faster, but i have the mac style dock, and that seems to slow the start up time a tad). you dont need ms offise, open office does it all, and its great. so tell me what os you use, what you like about it, what you dont.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: What operating system do you use and why?

I use Windows media player edition cuz it's what my computer came with...my wife has a Mac and that is definitely enticing in that I would love to get a Mac someday...I don't love Windows and wouldn't mind trying something different but I don't want to create any unnecessary PC headaches for myself...

You say Ubuntu 10.10 is free...is it easier to chage over from MS windows? Is it a pain to find everything if I were to switch over? Will Itunes, Audacity, Sonar, media player, etc. - all the programs I use regulary - will they all convert over fine?
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

great question! audacity actually comes with ubuntu, you can replace itunes with rhythm box, not sure about sonar, there is a program called wine, that is supposed to make any windoes program work with ubuntu, but reaper didn't really work that well for me in ubuntu. basicly in ubuntu, you have your photo folder, music, videos... if anything, ubuntu is more like mac osx than windows in my opinion, but no, its not difficult to switch. you can download it free from their website, or order a dick( which is free, or you can donate money). you can start up the computer with the dick i the drive, and test ubuntu first, with out making changes to your computer. instalation is really easy, its basiclly just a install wizard, and only took about 35 minutes for me. yes, its totally free, you dont need to worry about viruses, no anti virus needed
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 PM

OSX for the win! lol
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 PM

Oops, why? Because it is rock stable and powerful as all hell. I switched to Mac years ago and never looked back. My 5 yr old macbook smokes the little ladys new Viao.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

wanna hear a story? my sisters sony viao laptop, less than 6 months old, 4 gbs ram, and inten i5 2.4 ghz, windows 7, my laptop, lenovo t61 originally with vista, 1 gb ram, intel core 2 2.0 ghz with ubuntu 10.10, mine runs way faster than hers. yes, mac osx is very nice, too bad i cant afford a mac, one day though. whatever, at the moment, ubuntu does everything i need it to, without any hassles, and its not Microsoft
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM

Reviews: 2

I currently have Window 7 - 64 bit, Vista and XP installed on various computers.

I like Windows because it actually works with everything and I can build my own computer exactly the way I want and it's cheap among other reasons.

Also before the Mac Verus PC wars start:
All OS suck. Every single one of them. I've used them all, plenty. Just pick your poison.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

well every os has problems, mac and linux being its not very compatible with other programs, but i guess you choose based on what works for you.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 PM

I'm interested in trying out Ubuntu. Did you allude to being able to do a sort of "try before you buy" type thing and still be able to revert to windows, or was that just my imagination?
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

yes! simply order a cd from them, put it in the disk drive, start the computer, and it will start with ubuntu from the disk. though getting a disk from them takes a few weeks, so your better off to simply to download it from their site, and put it on to a flash drive, or a cd.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

this thread will likely end badly

windows 7 is as bullet and fool proof as they come. If you're a geek get an SSD for the boot partition and 32-bit unless you do memory intensive stuff. Especially for any laptop.

40 second boot... ROTF i have old laptops that cold boot in under 25 seconds.

It will never crash and run any worthwhile application ever made too. The few bucks required to legally license it will pay for itself over and over. especially if you do anything worthwhile or require actual productivity software (office, outlook) and think beyond "free" where "free" equals HUGE WASTE OF TIME ... glen
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
this thread will likely end badly

It will never crash and run any worthwhile application ever made too. The few bucks required to legally license it will pay for itself over and over. especially if you do anything worthwhile or require actual productivity software (office, outlook) and think beyond "free" where "free" equals HUGE WASTE OF TIME ... glen
+1 Very, Very True.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 AM

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64.
Runs fast and stable. Compatible with tons of programs.
No brainer to use.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 AM

I use a Motu828mkll FW AI for my studio, and Windoze just don't fly right with that. Plus I hate PT and like logic and Cubase, so again, the mac is the best choice for me.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 02:16 AM

I dual boot windows 7 and pinguy OS. Pinguy is a really nice version of Ubuntu with lots of software out of the box. It looks great, it's super fast, but until they make a version of Adobe Photoshop that runs on Linux I'm still going to use Windows. I know you can technicaly run Photoshop in Linux but it's a PITA.

Tags
fender , ibanez , ubuntu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode