What a RAW deal - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

What a RAW deal

OK, here goes. I sold a strat on the bay. $2330. Guy from France asks can he bank wire transfer the money to me. No problem. I call my Credit Union, they give me the IBAN number. His bank said it doesn't work. I call my Credit Union back, they say so sorry, our mistake, the 1st one was wrong and give me a second one that they assure me is correct. I send it to him. His bank does the transfer. 9 days later, still no money. I call my Credit Union and they say Oh so sorry again, the 2nd one we gave you was wrong also, here is a 3rd one. At this point it is of no use to me, because his bank has pulled the $2330 from his account and sent it to the 2nd one which they say worked no problem. Now my credit union says oh well, he has to address this with his bank because they did not send nor receive the money, they can do nothing. His bank says tough crap, you gave us the IBAN number, we sent the money to it, it was received and accepted and we can't just go pull money from some guys account. Who even knows if it has already been withdrawn and spent. I have gone so far as to give my credit union the name of the lady at his bank that did the transfer, the day they did it, and the IBAN number which they provided to me that it was in fact sent to. And they are still saying there is nothing they can do. And now they don't come back to work until Tuesday because of a holiday. WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF!!!!!!!!!!! My wife worked at a credit union for 5 years and her very good friend is now a Vice President there, so I asked him for his advice on what can I do now. I feel obligated to send the guy the guitar, because after all, he sent the money where I asked him to send it. My Credit Union is telling me not to send him the guitar, and that his bank has to get him his money back, but WTF, they sent the money where my dumbass credit union said to send it. My credit union will not take any responsibility except to say sorry, too bad, there is nothing we can do. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:05 PM

Re: What a RAW deal

Ouch. Good luck sorting it out. And after that, i'd suggest finding another credit union.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:34 PM

Man that sucks but don't send the guitar until you get your money.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, we only got this credit union for the time I am here in Munich because we can use them to pay our local bills, cell phone, etc. I've only had them for a little over a year and I have never had more than 200 or 300 dollars in there, which I am sure is a big part of the reason why they could care less about helping me. What a friggin mess.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:49 PM

Don't send the guy crap until YOU have the money. The money didn't just vanish into thin air and also, if you send the guitar in good faith that the money goes through- what if it doesn't? If the money isn't in your account, I could imagine that the transaction could easily be cancelled since it technically isn't completed. If the other guy gets ripped off- it's by your bank (who provided you with the wrong number), not you. Protect yourself.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Vendor

Did they give you the IBAN #'s in any official written way? Or just verbal? Because if it's in a way you can prove they gave you the wrong numbers I can't see any court not holding them fully responsible.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:54 PM

You may have to get the buyer to work on his bank from his end. Obviously, he won't have any incentive if he already has the guitar. Of course, he's out the money too and didn't get the guitar yet. Sucks.

It would seem that since it was your credit union that screwed it up, they should be responsible for either getting it fixed or eating the cost ... but I have no idea what legal course you can take.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

No Rich, it was all done over the phone. When I called their headquarters back in the states about it, they told me they don't know what the hell their overseas people are doing because all 3 of the IBAN numbers are wrong and they were not happy, but of course, they couldn't do anything for me either except transfer me back to the overseas idiots who caused this problem. They have flat out admitted that the numbers were all wrong, they just say there is nothing they can do because they did not send nor receive the money. Of course, them admitting it to me on the phone, and them admitting to it in court are two different things. The fact that I leave here in 3 weeks to go work in Kuwait for the next two years doesn't help either.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
You may have to get the buyer to work on his bank from his end. Obviously, he won't have any incentive if he already has the guitar. Of course, he's out the money too and didn't get the guitar yet. Sucks.

It would seem that since it was your credit union that screwed it up, they should be responsible for either getting it fixed or eating the cost ... but I have no idea what legal course you can take.
I'm with you 100%. His bank is saying they can't recall the money once it is sent and accepted. Which makes sense, because if you could do that everyone would just pay that way and then tell their bank to pull the money back afterwards. Also, this will only be my 5th evilbay feedback, so if he nails me I will be at like 80% and can basically forget ever doing a transaction there again. And to be honest, if anyone should eat it, I should, the problem was on my end. He sent the money where I told him to. My problem. I told him not to worry, he will get the guitar, but I haven't sent it yet. He actually owns a small guitar store, it is the address he wanted it sent to in the first place before all these problems. I googled it and checked it out, nice little store, he is the owner. As much as it sucks, if anyone eats this one, it will be me, because that is the right thing to do, but man that would hurt.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Vendor

They should at least be able to tell you what bank is the IBAN # that it was sent to. Then try to work from that end.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Vendor

In fact for screwing up your credit union should be responsible for making the call to the receiving bank and explaining the situation.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
They should at least be able to tell you what bank is the IBAN # that it was sent to. Then try to work from that end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In fact for screwing up your credit union should be responsible for making the call to the receiving bank and explaining the situation.
Yup, great minds think alike. I gave my credit union the name of his bank, the phone number, the name of the actual lady who did the damn transaction, the date it was done, and the IBAN number that it went to. After much arguing (them explaining international banking law to me, and me explaining to them that I'm not a FU**ING banker, THEY ARE) they finally agreed and called and spoke to the lady. They are due to talk to her again on Tuesday after the holiday. I am hoping beyond hope that they try a little bit to work together but I fear they are just going to each blame each other and point their fingers and say go after the them, not us.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Vendor

Bottom line in whatever country it was sent to [where was it?] the receiver received money they were not due through a banking error and there's got to be a way to force them to return it. Force being the way you don't want to go, but knowing how it can be forced would make the negotiating tool necessary to have it volutarily returned, which is what you want. The receiver [not bank] to voluntarily return the money.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, hopefully they can recover it from whoever the lucky chump is who received it. Hopefully it hasn't already been withdrawn and spent.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 03:01 PM

Hmmm... I was under the impression that if the bank makes an error in your favor (accidently depositing more in your account than they should have, etc.), they reserve the right to correct it by taking back those funds. If the Joe Schmoe who has that extra $2330 in his balance- the bank should be able to take it back because it's not his.

Tags
clean tone , custom guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode