What would you do and how? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 2,244
What would you do and how?

Hey guys, just a little question for those amongst you that may be able to help.

We've had a new electrician start at work, which is fine, but the thing that's pissed me off is that he's getting paid a few thousand more than me already. Add to that, he's a bit c*cky.

Anyway, I'd like to approach my manager, asking him if the pay can be at least matched, without rocking the boat, but I'm really not sure how. It just isn't fair that they can start someone 2 years younger than me and pay him more at the same time.
Ant1981 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 02:29 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,470
Re: What would you do and how?

I'd just go up to my employer and go talk to him about it. I'd just say what was on my mind. I don't think there will be a problem if you do that.

How did you find out how much he's getting paid? Did he just tell you?

Alwin

Last edited by Myst and rain; 04-02-2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added sentance #2 and #3.
Myst and rain is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 02:50 PM
 
JJEMMER777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 8,373
Re: What would you do and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
It just isn't fair that they can start someone 2 years younger than me and pay him more at the same time.

Welcome to the modern world

I have a question, Ant. How did you find out that the new guy is making more??? This could be key in the way you approach your manager



*EDIT* Thanks Myst! Great timing with your edit

I guess great minds think alike, lol
JJEMMER777 is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 02:56 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,470
Re: What would you do and how?

I guess they do, Jim.

Alwin
Myst and rain is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 03:00 PM
 
sick-boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hillsdale, MI USA
Posts: 1,190
Re: What would you do and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Welcome to the modern world

I have a question, Ant. How did you find out that the new guy is making more??? This could be key in the way you approach your manager



*EDIT* Thanks Myst! Great timing with your edit

I guess great minds think alike, lol
I was thinking the same thing. Most places I've worked at have a rule where you are not allowed to discuss pay (not that that ever stopped us).
sick-boy is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 03:01 PM
 
chef21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 676
Re: What would you do and how?

yea, if you found that out from the new guy and as you said he is co-ky, he may just be BS'n you. Does he have more or different experience than you. I would just talk to your employer ( find out if it's true first) tell him your not trying to rock the boat, but you feel your work is worth equal to what the new guy is being paid. from experience if you go to your boss with a list of reasons that show you are worth the extra money, and you can back them up you will have greater sucess. It's all in how you bring it up, and how you comunicate to the boss. But try to find out if it's true first or you may just end up looking stupid.
chef21 is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 2,244
Re: What would you do and how?

Well people, it came out in coversation with him what they've started him on.
Ant1981 is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 03:10 PM
 
sick-boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hillsdale, MI USA
Posts: 1,190
Re: What would you do and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
Well people, it came out in coversation with him what they've started him on.
If he's as c0cky as you say he is then I would tell him that you don't believe him. As a matter of fact, tell him he's full of sh*t. If he really does make that kind of money then he's bound to show you a pay stub.
sick-boy is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 2,244
Re: What would you do and how?

Well I don't think someone would go that far to go flashing pay slips about.
Ant1981 is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 03:57 PM
 
sick-boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hillsdale, MI USA
Posts: 1,190
Re: What would you do and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
Well I don't think someone would go that far to go flashing pay slips about.
He might if you keep telling him you don't believe him. Otherwise, how will you tell if he's lying or not?
sick-boy is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 2,244
Re: What would you do and how?

Ok, I think you're turning this into something else. Why would someone lie about what they're being paid to someone they work with?
Ant1981 is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 01:54 AM
 
sick-boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hillsdale, MI USA
Posts: 1,190
Re: What would you do and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
Ok, I think you're turning this into something else. Why would someone lie about what they're being paid to someone they work with?
1. I never said he was lying. I was suggesting that you figure out whether he is or is not, before you turn this matter into something that needs to be taken up with the boss.
2. You stated he was c0cky, therefore he may be lying anyway.
3. I have worked with enough *ssholes to know that some people will lie about anything and everything. I've worked with many story tellers. Sometimes the only highpoint in my day was calling out people on their b.s. lies. So if this guy just started, you may not know him well enough yet to know what type of person he is.
sick-boy is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 2,244
Re: What would you do and how?

I know what you mean, anyway.

I had a chat with a few people I can trust and then I plucked the courage up to chat to my main boss.

Basically, he said, yes, it's true, because they couldn't get another guy in for less, he wouldn't take anything less.

The money side of things are out of my boss's hands, it's down to the area manager, which I know is fact, so I'm not being fobbed off there.

What people get paid is agreed by the area manager which we have now. When I was taken on, we had a manager who was very tight with money.

However, my boss said I can ask for a raise, but he reccomends I wait until after the regular annual raises in July. If I ask now and get the raise, I wouldn't get the July raise, which he said the new guy will not get as he has started on higher than the company policy to start people on. So my boss is thinking wait, so that if I do get what I want, I at least get both raises.

And if I don't get what I want? Well, then it's not fair, which my boss knows, he is a good manager and it's unfortunate that pay isn't in his hands directly. So if I don't get it, well, what can I do, start messing around or look elsewhere.

I haven't said I'd go if I don't get it, I don't want to say anything silly or start to burn bridges. My boss said he doesn't want to lose me, he's hoping that I do get the raise also. I had explained before hand that I don't want to cause any problems or rock the boat, but I've got to ask in the best way I can find to approach such a sensitive subject. He understood.

So I could wait for July to ask, could.
Ant1981 is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:59 PM
 
sick-boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hillsdale, MI USA
Posts: 1,190
Re: What would you do and how?

Well, at least you have a cool boss, so that's good. At least if you do decide to look elsewhere for work, you'll have a good reference.
sick-boy is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 01:17 PM
 
jb4674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA - USA
Posts: 4,612
Reviews: 18
Smile Re: What would you do and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981 View Post
I know what you mean, anyway.

I had a chat with a few people I can trust and then I plucked the courage up to chat to my main boss.

Basically, he said, yes, it's true, because they couldn't get another guy in for less, he wouldn't take anything less.

The money side of things are out of my boss's hands, it's down to the area manager, which I know is fact, so I'm not being fobbed off there.

What people get paid is agreed by the area manager which we have now. When I was taken on, we had a manager who was very tight with money.

However, my boss said I can ask for a raise, but he reccomends I wait until after the regular annual raises in July. If I ask now and get the raise, I wouldn't get the July raise, which he said the new guy will not get as he has started on higher than the company policy to start people on. So my boss is thinking wait, so that if I do get what I want, I at least get both raises.

And if I don't get what I want? Well, then it's not fair, which my boss knows, he is a good manager and it's unfortunate that pay isn't in his hands directly. So if I don't get it, well, what can I do, start messing around or look elsewhere.

I haven't said I'd go if I don't get it, I don't want to say anything silly or start to burn bridges. My boss said he doesn't want to lose me, he's hoping that I do get the raise also. I had explained before hand that I don't want to cause any problems or rock the boat, but I've got to ask in the best way I can find to approach such a sensitive subject. He understood.

So I could wait for July to ask, could.
If you don't get the raise, then you let the area mgr know what this guy has told you his pay rate is. You approach it as a concern you have that this person is telling everyone how much he makes and that you feel your added experience is strong enough to warrant such a raise. Never ever ever say the word "unfair" to anyone who is above you at your workplace because you will lose the argument immediately.

Jimmy
jb4674 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome