What would you do in my situation? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 07:52 PM
dex

Re: What would you do in my situation?

Go for the dorm.
Nothing will get you "in" the whole student experience like living in a dorm would but make sure you put your education first and any friends/dorm buddies second.
Several years after graduating I only see 1 person from my major and about 10 people from my dorm so making real good friends is much easyer in a dorm than at clases.
It'll also give you the chance to find someone mature/focused that you might want to share a flat with next year.

As far as the powerbook goes, you will need a PC for college, no doubt about that so get the 14" ibook (don't pay silly money for the 17" super drive pbook) and get a part time job as well for extra pocket money.

ilia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 08:17 AM

Coming from a guy who missed the whole college experience because I was directionless kid, I say if you can live at home and go to school do that. They'll be plenty of time for *really* living on your own later. If we're having this conversation 4-8 years from now when school is done, well, something is wrong with you. ;-)

I say live at home as long as you can stand it. Concentrate on your studies. *Nearly* everything else at this point -- hindsight being 20/20 -- is secondary.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

I just filled out my paperwork for living in the dorms. An opportunity like this is just too good to pass up. The other reason is a lot of my scholarships can only be used at this university, and I plan on going there only for this year. I may not have made that clear, and I'm still going to do a bit more thinking before I send it off, but at this point, I think it's the right decision. Thanks for the advice.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 04:13 PM

Move out.

College/university is the ideal time to start living on your own and learning about yourself. If i had lived at home when i was in university, i don't think i'd be half the person i am today. I learned some hard lessons those first couple of years, and it broadened my horizons and life experience immeasurably.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Move out.

College/university is the ideal time to start living on your own and learning about yourself. If i had lived at home when i was in university, i don't think i'd be half the person i am today. I learned some hard lessons those first couple of years, and it broadened my horizons and life experience immeasurably.
I'd have to agree with that. Even though being a freshman I got the WORST FLOOR OF THE WORST DORM ON CAMPUS, it was still an awesome experience that I wouldn't trade. I wasn't very outspoken in HS but college really made me a more sociable person (if for no other reason than the fact that I HAD to talk to people everyday).

As for the computer thing, I agree with the other guy. Just get an iBook, save a little bit of that money, and get a part time job if money gets tight. I didn't get a job while going to school until this year. Usually I just would work over the summer but situations change...
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

So I'm going to talk things over with both my parents a bit more, but I think the decision for me to move out is for the most part made. I was thinking about this a bit, and I've determined a number of things.

1.) I'm not going to live in my house anymore in just a mere 5 months.
2.) I have acquired a lot of junk the past 17 years of my life.
3.) I have to fit all this junk into a room with another person and his junk.
4.) It's going to be really hard to move out.

I know my parents will just be across town, but the more I think about it, the more I really appreciate having them around. But this is a transition that needs to be made sooner or later.

Tags
darren wilson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode