What's Navy/Air Force life like? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

What's Navy/Air Force life like?

Yo all.

I know there are a few of you on here that are active duty, so I was wondering if you can give me any good info about the Navy/AF?

Basically, I've taken a good long look around, and although I'm going to uni to get my degree in audio tech, I'd still really really like to fly.

I've been to both the official sites, etc, but I wanted some info from people who actually are serving. Anything you can tell me that the websites won't will help!

Mucho Gracias!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 02:42 AM

Re: What's Navy/Air Force life like?

In answer to the heading: better than army life.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyH View Post
In answer to the heading: better than army life.
Lol...no joking there
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 04:41 AM

Mylo, first things first, you have to be an officer to be a pilot. That means you have to have at least a Bachelors degree just to start. There are programs out there where the military will send you to (and pay for) school and then when you graduate you owe XX number of years (not sure how many) to the service in return. Your guidance counselor can hook you up with applications for that. If you are serious about flying, go Air Force. Their quality of life is far beyond anyone elses. And be very careful if you go talk to recruiters. I was an honest recruiter (oxymoron?) but many aren't. Before you know it you could be scraping bird crap off a runway in Guam for 4 years.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Banned

They'll pay for your uni education, but you owe them four years.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
They'll pay for your uni education, but you owe them four years.
I beleive it is longer for pilots due to the length of the schooling (not college, but military flight school) and the extremely marketable skill they have. It is very difficult to keep the pilots in because they can make so much more with the airlines. And the stewardesses are much nicer
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 05:22 AM

My nephew back home was approached with a similar offer (USMC) college ed partially paid for in exchange for 2 years. The scholarship offer was worth 50K, with a free trip to Guam for aptitude tests (no, not a holiday). A classmate of his I believe is going to Stanford fully paid, but will owe Uncle Sam 4 years.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 05:34 AM

Yeah, there are numerous programs out there, some for military colleges, some for regular colleges, also depends on if you have some college already done or not (if the military only has to pay for 2 years of school because you already have 2 done) etc etc.
Another option is to go in the reserves. A lot of state colleges offer free tuition to those in the reserves but it differs from state to state. And being in the reserves these days often means extended active duty time.
Dang Mylo, I just noticed you are in the UK, but I would bet it is still very very similair.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys, mucho appreciated. I was kinda nervous of talking to a recruiter, because they DO have a job to do after all - I wanted honest advice from people.

lol @ DavyH. My friend is joining the army. I pity him.

Whoops Gilk, I forgot to say, it is the USAF and USN I'm interested in - I just live over here because my dad retired from the USAF here!

Is an english Bsc degree the same as a bachelors? I have NO idea because I've been in english schooling all my life!

Strange, no?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned

BA = Bachelor of the Arts

BSc = Bachelor of Science
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
A classmate of his I believe is going to Stanford fully paid, but will owe Uncle Sam 4 years.
Holy sh!t!!!! What a deal!! The top privates in the US charge around $65,000 per year!!! And it's a four year education!

Wow.

Makes you appreciate our measly £3,000 fees over here

I actually love government subsidy.

Last edited by dannymills; 06-01-2007 at 06:16 PM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:23 PM

Wink Re: What's Navy/Air Force life like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymills View Post
Holy dh!t!!!! What a deal!! . . .

I actually love government subsidy.
There are some really good deals available in the military, but they often come with strict requirements/restrictions. A recruit or officer candidate has to be really smart and ask to see the deal/policy/list of options/whatever the recruiter says in writing before he or she signs.

I never caught a military recruiter in an outright lie, and I believe that all United States Marines are people of the highest integrity. But remember how we make witnesses who testify swear to tell the truth, THE WHOLE TRUTH, and nothing but the truth? What any recruiter will do is avoid telling the whole truth. And it's always more complicated than "four years at Stanford fully paid in exchange for four years with Uncle Sam."
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 05:02 PM

I had considered going that route when I was younger and I was informed that, out of every 6000 applicants who want to become fighter pilots, only one makes it. Or was it 6 out of 6000? It was extremely low. So there is a high likelihood that you could start out wanting to be a pilot, and wind up becoming something else later on. Military pay is also quite low, so there is a very high incentive to leave the military and go commercial afterwards. Your chances of landing a successful airline career is much better if you were trained in the military, but it can be done through civilian channels, too. So my point is, you have to really want it, if you're going to go that route.

Talk to some pilots if you are able to. Web sites, or chit chat at a local small airport.

I have several family members who were in the aviation industry, and I could go on, but I don't think this is the place for it. Do some research and decide what you really want to do, is my advice. You can also learn to fly a civilian general aviation airplane if you just want to learn to fly.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Banned

Physics degree => pilot career
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

I'll pester some of the pilots I see at work, see what they say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode