Who do you sound/play like? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Who do you sound/play like?

I saw this thread on another forum and thought it would be interesting to hear from you guys. I suspect I will get really different answers here from the other place.

Pick 5

This, for me, is the hardest question ever to answer; mainly because I play in different styles when I pick up different guitars. For example: on my Ibanez, I make every effort to emulate Satch, Vai, etc. On my tele (which is usually in drop-D, has a much narrower neck and chunky riffing tone) I go for metal/punk ballsy riffing with fairly simple solos. I suppose if I put more effort into being consistent I could actually give a decent answer, but for the moment, that's about it. My main influences in terms of writing would probably be Dave Grohl (Foo), Fightstar, and a bit of Vai for the technical stuff, so it would be a strange culmination of those, but mostly with pretty bluesy solos. Wow, my playing must sound a f***in' mess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 03:26 PM

Re: Who do you sound/play like?

I always hear from my music buddies i sound a lot like the old Greg Howe.

A huge compliment, but i can't stand in his shade...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:31 PM

Toni Iommi/Jimi Page/Jimi Hendrix/Neil Young. Something like that.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:26 AM

Tiny Tim. Ukelele solo's rule.

Rock on!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

Brad Gillis from Night Ranger
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 12:09 PM

I like to think I just sound like myself. I don't try to emulate the tone/style of others and it would be difficult for me to compare myself to other guitarists.

But I'll try nevertheless... How about Andy Timmons meets Buckethead meets John Petrucci?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
I like to think I just sound like myself. I don't try to emulate the tone/style of others and it would be difficult for me to compare myself to other guitarists.

But I'll try nevertheless... How about Andy Timmons meets Buckethead meets John Petrucci?

I absolutely was hoping to sound like Brad Gillis. This was back in '83ish. Night Ranger was huge. He still is one of my favorite players. I'm certainly not trying to sound like him now, but some of the remaining influences are a bit unmistakable. At 15, I had no tone of my own. I don't think young teens learning to play are going to have "their own tone" to develop. You run across the occasional tastefully playing teen, but not often. It's natural and proper I'd say to be heavily influenced by a favorite player. With that, you're own tone, which I would argue is your "hand tone" will overcome the influenced tone. Even when making great efforts to sound like your favorite player, you're going to end up sounding different anyway. Some guys can cover other players perfectly, which I don't like at all, and is oddly unimpressive. But it's not the worst place to start by trying to cover EJ or Vai pretty darn well. I know that just the way I have come to hold my pick effect my tone greatly. I sound like just like me on any guitar in any amp.

I think "emulating" a guitar players give you direction. Just so long as you don't take it too seriously.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 12:15 PM

My playing's not up to scratch to be saying I sound like anybody else, although people have told me my tone sounds a lot like George Lynch, odd sicne I've been trying to get a sort of EVH tone for the last few years, although recently I've been leaning more on trying to get 80's era Vai tone.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 PM

Reviews: 22

I sound like Gus G. maybe not as fast but our tone is very similar.
(new Gus g. stuff/last 2 albums)

play like noone.... not boasting.... i'm not as speedy or as technical as most guys here.... i just look,feel,and move different than other players.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 PM

Reviews: 2

No matter how I TRY to play it always sounds like George Lynch of Dokken or a bastardized version of him anyway.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:57 AM

i make a huge effort to sound like satch.......but iīm really far from doing it......i canīt avoid getting into the blues box again and again....gotta learn the modes some day....
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 AM

I shred like this guy. Hes my hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MI-_jWAmlE
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 AM

Reviews: 22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYGXi...eature=related

i cracked my front right top tooth..... in half doing this crap.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:34 AM

I am currently going through a reinvention process. Used to be alot of Metallica and Megadeth type stuff, but now I am trying to keep that, with some nice Satch and Vai, maybe some Johnson, and then Mayer too. Not sure what the end product will be but I am trying to get a way from the blues box, and try something different, but still keeping a heavy edge on it. So ask again in a couple of months
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Hm.."metal wise", I'd say Michael Romeo from Symphony X. lead/solo wise I'd say Andy Timmons. Not that I'm even on the same planet as those guys, but I try .

Tags
influences , sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode