Who is this guy? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 825
Who is this guy?

Ok so I was looking up the trans- Jem pickups used on the 20th anniversary because I was very curious to what was different about them and I came across this guy

Go to 2:30. http://youtu.be/egFPOB1wens

What's this guys qualification? Is he like the athiest of woods? 90% of people think wood makes a difference, but 10% don't?

Wood makes a difference in a way that's not always blatantly audible. It can be evident in passages of playing, overtones, etc. I've never met another musician who doesn't know wood makes a difference. It's also a feel thing, sustain etc.

Is he just blatantly saying this to piss people off? I mean, who would he if he doesn't actually believe it?

You'd think that if he had an acrylic guitar, and another guitar with Trans Jem pickups, he would notice a tonal difference? I think it would be kind of hard not to. (I know you can't buy the teans Jem pups but you know what I mean)
Kyle am I is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 05:22 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,559
Re: Who is this guy?

lol!! You found Scott Grove!

Youtube's favourite Guitar Internet Troll with some actual factual knowledge that he uses along side his own strong opinions to get on the nerves of many.
wilch is offline  
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 07:02 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,245
Reviews: 2
Re: Who is this guy?

If I post an audio clip of me playing a guitar, you're not likely to guess what kind of guitar it is, let alone what kind of wood it's made out of. So yes, the differences in woods factor is a bit overblown.
therightjem is offline  
post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 11:34 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 987
Reviews: 13
Re: Who is this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
lol!! You found Scott Grove!

Youtube's favourite Guitar Internet Troll with some actual factual knowledge that he uses along side his own strong opinions to get on the nerves of many.
lol
Rachmaninoff is offline  
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:10 AM
dex
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 2,107
Re: Who is this guy?

I thought you found the "Everything you know about guitars is wrong" guy from Zachary guitars.
dex is offline  
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 02:42 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West 'By God' Virginnie, USA
Posts: 1,454
Re: Who is this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
If I post an audio clip of me playing a guitar, you're not likely to guess what kind of guitar it is, let alone what kind of wood it's made out of. So yes, the differences in woods factor is a bit overblown.
I've read this argument over and over on this, and other, sites.
No one has ever claimed they could tell you what wood has been used in a guitar they are listening too.
Pick up two guitars that are supposed to be identical and play them unplugged.
Often they will sound subtly different, sometimes very different.
This sound has to be translated through the amp. Unless you're playing through a ton of distortion and effects, there will be a difference, albeit subtle, in the final sound that comes through your amp.
Different types of wood 'lean' towards certain properties, but that being said; even two pieces of wood from the same tree can sound different.
So, in my humble opinion; wood matters.
It may be subtle, but a harmonic there, or not there, is a difference and to say it's not is like saying all Pecorino Romano cheeses are the same.
And if you don't know what that is, your opinion means nothing to me. LOL
J/K
Meechy is offline  
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:44 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,559
Re: Who is this guy?

Building the perfect guitar: Paul Reed Smith at T…: http://youtu.be/sNzJjlV1TOA

Here's a TEDx talk from Paul Reed Smith about the subtractive nature of materials when it came to sound.

It makes sense to me.
wilch is offline  
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,958
Re: Who is this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Building the perfect guitar: Paul Reed Smith at Tů: http://youtu.be/sNzJjlV1TOA

Here's a TEDx talk from Paul Reed Smith about the subtractive nature of materials when it came to sound.

It makes sense to me.
Thats a great way to look at it... in the simplest terms.

Scott Grove is a knowledgeable guy... and is entitled to his own opinion. He just talks way too much and takes too long to get to the point! My favorite video of his is the amp comparison - A classic Fender tube amp vs the cheap Walmart bass amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TnhZaKPRmo
FireEagle is offline  
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 825
Re: Who is this guy?

This was the first I've ever seen/heard of him

Saying that Ibanez & Vai are retarded for thinking the dense acrylic body would effect time shows me he spends a lot of time judging and thinking he's a master analyst of tone, and that his word is final.
Kyle am I is offline  
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 01:06 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 6,200
Re: Who is this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle am I View Post
This was the first I've ever seen/heard of him

Saying that Ibanez & Vai are retarded for thinking the dense acrylic body would effect time shows me he spends a lot of time judging and thinking he's a master analyst of tone, and that his word is final.
It's actually far simpler than that. He's intentionally offensive, because he knows every time he gets under someone's skin, they'll post a link to his video saying, "Can you BELIEVE this a-hole?!?!" and he'll get another couple hundred youtube views.

It's pure click-bait. I'd just ignore him.
Drew is offline  
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 01:51 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,245
Reviews: 2
Re: Who is this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meechy View Post
I've read this argument over and over on this, and other, sites.
No one has ever claimed they could tell you what wood has been used in a guitar they are listening too.
Pick up two guitars that are supposed to be identical and play them unplugged.
Often they will sound subtly different, sometimes very different.
This sound has to be translated through the amp. Unless you're playing through a ton of distortion and effects, there will be a difference, albeit subtle, in the final sound that comes through your amp.
Different types of wood 'lean' towards certain properties, but that being said; even two pieces of wood from the same tree can sound different.
So, in my humble opinion; wood matters.
It may be subtle, but a harmonic there, or not there, is a difference and to say it's not is like saying all Pecorino Romano cheeses are the same.
And if you don't know what that is, your opinion means nothing to me. LOL
J/K
So if you can't tell the difference in the end product, what does it really matter? People become so absorbed into this subject without garnering any noticeable results.
therightjem is offline  
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:26 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West 'By God' Virginnie, USA
Posts: 1,454
Re: Who is this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
So if you can't tell the difference in the end product, what does it really matter? People become so absorbed into this subject without garnering any noticeable results.
Well, like I said; if you're playing through a ton of effects and heavy distortion, it really won't matter (much).
But the cleaner you play, the more pronounced it will be. There is a difference.
Even with the distortion, the emphasized and repressed harmonics it will make the amp react differently.
Everyone hears things a little differently. To many people, all guitars (especially through distortion) sound the same, to others, with more discerning ears, they can hear and/or feel this difference.
Just because one person can't hear it/feel it, doesn't mean that the conclusion is invalid.
Meechy is offline  
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 04:33 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,245
Reviews: 2
Re: Who is this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meechy View Post
Well, like I said; if you're playing through a ton of effects and heavy distortion, it really won't matter (much).
But the cleaner you play, the more pronounced it will be. There is a difference.
Even with the distortion, the emphasized and repressed harmonics it will make the amp react differently.
Everyone hears things a little differently. To many people, all guitars (especially through distortion) sound the same, to others, with more discerning ears, they can hear and/or feel this difference.
Just because one person can't hear it/feel it, doesn't mean that the conclusion is invalid.
My point wasn't to say there is no difference, it was to say the difference is negligible concerning electrics. Forget effects for a moment, pickups alone have so much more to do with tone than any wood. I'll submit this video as evidence to support my point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyQXy74xz4

One other thing to consider, how many people are really in a position to compare woods of the same model guitar? I didn't have that opportunity on my JEM7VWH or my UV777BK. I had to order the JEM, and the UV was used. It's not as if I was in the position to try multiple 7Vs out to see which one had the best wood, if I could even hear such a thing. And same with used guitars. Would you pass up, say an LNG based entirely on the wood it was made out of? Not likely.
therightjem is offline  
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 06:50 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West 'By God' Virginnie, USA
Posts: 1,454
Re: Who is this guy?

Maybe not so pronounced that the average listener can hear it, but some people can.
Even if it's just psychological, an imagined difference is still a difference.
Meechy is offline  
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 06:59 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,245
Reviews: 2
Re: Who is this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meechy View Post
Even if it's just psychological, an imagined difference is still a difference.
Well, I would have never imagined that response.
therightjem is offline  
Reply

Tags
some guy

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome