who has ditched cable tv? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

who has ditched cable tv?

this is something i have been thinking about more and more to save money, not to mention, i can't stand the cable companies! one would think, after YEARS of cable tv, the price would come down! not so! it's gone way up. comcast is beyond ridiculous! monthly bill the price of a small car payment...i cancelled with them over a year ago. i'm with a smaller / cheaper co. and do like them, but still, it's around $70 a month or so. no movie channels, just basic cable with HD DVR. if it was only me, i would cancel cable altogether, as i very rarely watch tv. my wife and mainly my son, watch it. he has his sesame street and everything else a 2 year old would need. i have the ps3 recently connected to the tv where he watches his shows. i have been thinking about netflix, as it is $9 a month and many of his shows are on it. i could also surf youtube, etc.

the issue though...what about regular tv if i cancel cable...and the recording of those shows? i do watch american idol when it's on, and when conan hits TBS later this year, i can't stay up that late. if it's all on netflix, cool. i won't connect a computer to the tv...that's too much to go through. i read that google was coming out with a box for people to get away from cable.....

check this out...

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...ries-a-article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 AM

Reviews: 59
Re: who has ditched cable tv?

I just dropped my ATT uverse about 2 months ago. I didn't have anything too fancy but I thought I'd miss the DVR. Honestly, between Netflix (I've got it on xbox) and Hulu as well as network websites, I haven't missed that at all. I had to adjust to not being able to pause or rewind or come in halfway through the show and skip commercials but within a week or two, I didn't even notice those sorts of things anymore.

I dropped cable altogether and just use an antennae for over the air stuff. I live in a mostly flat area so reception is good, that may not be the case for you.

For me, the only real let down is when sports are on cable. That's one thing I don't like to watch after the fact (even when I had a DVR). Still, my teams aren't where I live so without the really expensive sports packages anyway, so I was always at the mercy of the networks that are over the air.

As long as your internet is solid, I recommend the Netflix/hulu/bunny ears route. It's saving me $60 a month and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:39 PM

When I was younger I bugged my parents all the time to get cable/satellite. When we finally did when I was about 16 I think I watched stuff for a few months and then I got bored of it. Now that I've moved out I don't even own a tv. I couldn't afford a cable bill if I wanted to, but there's nothing out there that even appeals to me. I just play the guitar, video games, and like you said, find movies and shows to watch online for free. ABC has all 7 seasons of Macyver posted on Youtube which I enjoy watching on occasion.

As for sports, so long as you have an email account with a major cable provider you can watch a lot of stuff on espn3.com for free. I watched nearly all the world cup matches on there.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

We've thought about it considering we pay the equivalent of $1000 a year for HD satellite.

There's so very few programmes we watch, but so far haven't been able to make the final leap into abandoning it all together
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:33 PM
site founder 0% owner

it's mostly impossible to ditch cable/satellite TV if you have kids.

I personally could dump it tomorrow and subscribe to a few sports stations (YES Network, etc). Due to triple play (phone, cable, internet) deals though i wouldn't save much yearly as one TV would need replacing for PC hookup.

To cut costs you can lower the # of cable boxes (DVRs) and replace them with slingboxes... glen
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Vendor

Cable and internat - $173 [Comcast]
Phones - $85 [Verizon]
Cell - $42 [Verizon]

$3600 / year
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:59 PM

Tv/Phone/Internet all from Cablevision here - it all works fine. I had gone through 2 speakerphones and was on my third when we switched over the phone to Cablevision, and the phone line signal became much louder and clearer. I'd like it to be cheaper, but it works for me (and the 4 kids).

I only watch cartoons and hockey on TV anyway
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 PM
site founder 0% owner

Rich You're getting JACKED by comcast. LOL. Do you have FIOS TV down there? if so you should consider a verizon triple play bundle TV/Inet/Phone (becomes quad play $10 additional off monthly for vzw cell). Even Verizon has you over a barrel, you can't change a line over to unlimited mobile... glen
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 PM

I ditched cable over a year ago and by way of that, also ditched TV. I haven't watched TV since. The internet keeps me entertained, although I do notice that I have to actively search for things like new movies and new products since I'm not being force fed them anymore via commercials.

They day I can sign up for a plan that lets me pick the 10 or so channels I actually care about and just pay for those is the day I'll go back.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Rich You're getting JACKED by comcast. LOL. Do you have FIOS TV down there? if so you should consider a verizon triple play bundle TV/Inet/Phone (becomes quad play $10 additional off monthly for vzw cell). Even Verizon has you over a barrel, you can't change a line over to unlimited mobile... glen

If I use internet/phone I'd have to pay $500 / year in insurance premiums for the merchant account, I'd loose anything I'd save.

No FIOS on my street yet, but the price is no cheaper, my best friend switched just because he was sick of Comcast, didn't save a penny.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:26 PM
site founder 0% owner

Rich - you won't get competing comcast vs fios offers until a town has 100% coverage. then you save significantly if you switch back & forth.

not sure who your merch. account or gatweay is thru but based on what you posted you might be paying too much. You manually process all orders right? How would you incur a $500/yearly premium?... glen
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Vendor

My friend has 100% coverage, there was no savings with FIOS over his triple play.

The insurance charges have to do with how the information is transmitted. If it's over hard phone lines there is not security issues, but once it goes over the internet then it becomes a risk and they will charge you insurance. They did a complete sweep [this was my old provider] 2 years ago on how the data was actually transmitted.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

2 years = dog years. i'd check again.... glen
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Glen, you're right...and if it was just me, it would be gone. i will look into the slingbox thing.

i ditched lan line about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. it was very odd the first month, but it just made sense. i have moved others over to the cell-only world. it's difficult to abandon if you were raised with it, as we all were.

i did check with netflix and all my son's shows...full seasons...are there. this is cool. the only thing i would miss would be recording tv. i do not want to connect a pc to my tv...i like the clean look, not the macguyver mess.

so the only issue would be dealing with stuff on network tv and how to watch them. i don't want to do that on a laptop. i may try the netflix thing out, it can't hurt, and it's only $8.99 a month.

so network tv: american idol, house, etc...what do i do for that? and hockey..... have to find out how to watch that. maybe it will still hit the airwaves..antenna?

Rich - $173 a month for comcast?! AHHHHHH.....so many people are doing that. that's why i got away from them. i'm spending around $95 a month for WOW (wide open west) for the same HD channels, fast internet, and HD DVR (no movie channels..HBO, SHOWTIME, ETC...waste of money.) i'm saving $90 a month. i want to save more....only using WOW for internet....$42 a month. add to that netflix possibly, and it's $50 a month.

i'm a little lost with the insurance / lan line thing? what is that in regards to? not taking credit card payments is it? i take credit cards via quicken over the web with a bank...no insurance charges lan line thing? what is this in regards to? what is going on?

Last edited by shredmaster; 07-21-2010 at 04:11 PM.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM

Theres another option. The PS3 is getting Hulu and they are only charging 10 bucks. But i think the catch is you need Playstation Plus, which is just Xbox live, in a sense. But im not sure how much it costs since my PS3 is mainly used as a flashy doorstop.

Or theres other ways to go about it.
Like this: http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Online/gu...-a-workaround/

You can watch your shows, your son can watch his. Everyones happy

Actually, apparently they took Conan O'Brien off of Hulu. Dont know why but they did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode