Who here uses supplements??? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Who here uses supplements???

Yep, got talking to some guys at work about this who exercise and thought it would be cool to hear what you lot think, So what do you lot think about supplements???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Reviews: 16
Re: Who here uses supplements???

I used to train alot of people, but I don't anymore. However, I know quite a bit about nutrition and exercise. Your question really depends on what you're wanting to obtain. If you're just wanting to stay fit, then I'd say maybe get a multivitamin, eat clean foods, exercise regularly, and not waste your money on things that you don't really need. If you're wanting to get into bodybuilding there is a host of things you can take that will help.

What are you wanting to do?
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 12:31 PM

I have tried them all and think that basically the only two supplements you need are a creatine supplement and a good protein powder. alot depends of what you are trying to do as well. Also keep in mind that 90% of your gains and losses (especially if you are trying to lose weight) are related to your diet. You and workout like a madman and if your diet sucks you won't make alot of gains. Just my 2 cents.
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 12:37 PM

I don't recommend enoxplode.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

my friend at work uses testostarone boosters and stuff like that, apparently the side affects are bad.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 PM

I go with a men's formula multivitamin, fish oil supplement (cause my kids don't like fish and we don't eat enough at home then). I also completly quit McDonalds and all other fast foods, quit drinking 2 bottles of Mt. Dew a day and switched to water and started exercising every day. I lost 55lbs between January and August. I now weight train more, continue to eat right and still do some aerobic exercise 3-5 days a week. No weight has come back. I am back to my College weight from the mid 1980's! Eating right and exercising does work! The supplements were recommended by my Dr.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 PM

I know a guy who puts lifts in his shoes, does that count?
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 PM

i was a training instructor and i also had a diploma in nutrition, not that mean ccrap, but one thing i would say is find out what the ingredience of the stuff you considering using are, stay away from stuff with sweetners like aspartame and any stuff with MSG monosoiumglutimate (not the michael shenker group) in them! MSG was proven to give babies holes in the brains, so it was banned in baby food, but get yourself some doritos and cheese brain here we come! do some reserch, the FDA has now become, put it on the market and if it kills people, AND YOU CAN PROVE IT IN COURT, then we'll consider removing it from your food... maybe. boy i should get out more ofter. best of luck with you training. HAGO
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrojem View Post
apparently the side affects are bad.
Understatement!!! I've been on a pretty regular program since highschool. I've tried suppliments back when (many) they ALL have side affects. (especially the testy boosters and different forms or roids) Just eat right (plenty of protene) and good veggies and fruit. If you want to keep the bodyfat down, keep the bad carbs (breads, candy etc) at a minimum. they aren't good for you anyway Healthy is the way to go and suppliments just mess everything all about (not to mention turn you psycho and can have long term negative affects) It's all in the ~mind~ bro

You can achieve very good results without the use of suppliments and remain much healthier and happier (and sane)

~ROCK~

Just to annoy some of the long term members I'll post these

Pretty soon they are going to start calling me Eddie

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Hey, Thanks Jemmer, Too bad i carn't make out that last image too well. anymore?
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 01:55 PM

Reviews: 16

If it's mass you're going for here's one trick for getting large gains in the gym. Take every rep slow and actually look at the muscles that are being used for whatever exercise you're doing. Imagine with every rep that they are growing and they're getting huge. The mind is very powerful supplement in this regard.

Also look in the mirror when you're doing your sets. Make sure you have the proper posture, and you're keeping things slow and controlled. You gain little by throwing the weight around. Isolate each muscle by limiting your body movement and make your muscles work. If you can't get the reps you want, then drop the weight. Bodybuilding isn't about how much you can lift. It's about taking the weight you can lift and building your body.

Use high reps for getting lean mass, low reps for building bulk and rest 30 to 40 seconds between each set...no more than that. This keeps your routine high intensity, which keeps your heart rate up, which helps burn body fat. You get a good cardio workout just by doing that.

Then finish up with 30 to 40 min. of cardio, like on a stair climber, or treadmill, or something similar. Or you can go for a fast paced walk outside.

Workout first then do the cardio after. This makes sure that your cardio work is using stored fat for energy rather than the unstored energy that's in your system.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Just eat right (plenty of protene)
And with that, don't eat tons of meat to get your protein. People always bang on about meat giving you protein, and it does, but most of the protein is UNUSABLE. Going vegetarian is best thing you can ever do for your health. Human beings are not designed to eat meat.

Anyone wanna argue? Don't bother. Read this:

http://www.celestialhealing.net/physicalveg3.htm
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

If it's mass you're going for here's one trick for getting large gains. Imagine that it's growing and getting huge. The mind is very powerful supplement in this regard.
this isn't a penis enlargement commercial is it???

Kidding aside, Courtney is spot on!!! Proper form is essential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Human beings are not designed to eat meat.
Some of us are not human Seriously, quality Lean beef and white meats (chicky and pork) are just fine. Especially for type "O" blood. If I restricted my diet to only veggies, I'd be a very tired old withered soul.

I love my veggies, but I gotta have the ~animal~ too.

don't believe everything you read, mate Dee
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

creatine is awsome but expensive,,i also used to give it to my pigeons on long distance races hahaha
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:14 PM

I take vitamin supplement, CLA (not sure what this is, I think it has something to do with building muscle after exercise,) and a carb inhibitor with the Transitions diet I am doing.

Concerning protein, I eat a lot of black beans, which is a good non-animal protein. Not fun to hang out in the same room with me, though.

About blood types, I found out about a year ago that I'm A-neg (now the Blood Bank wants me all the time.) Then I found a book called "Eat Right For Your Blood Type" and, according to this, I'm supposed to be a vegetarian.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode