Why do we bother? Tons of time and $$$$? For What? - Page 5 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 AM
Banned

Re: Why do we bother? Tons of time and $$$$? For What?

what started me off with guitars was,i bought a video the ultimate ozzy,and jake e lees guitar solo just totaly blew me away.so i went out and bought a cheap guitar (marlin sidewinder) and a carlsboro amp which i still have today (only used as a speaker wired up to my line6 amp).but back then i had nobody to show me chords ect,so after a year or 2 i gave up but still loved the guitar.then one night i went to a local club and the guitarist had a 777dy.that set me off again,but this time around i took lessons 4 years worth.to cut a long story short,for me its not the showing off or trying to impress its the sheer power of rock music,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 04:31 AM

Its Zen. A musician is a musician. Same as a carpenter is a carpenter. A computer programmer is a ......well you get the idea. I was born a musician. So I am. And will always be. I could never stop playing and performing. Its like asking a dog to stop wagging its tail or asking a bird to stop singing.
post #63 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 09:59 AM

It's therapy for the soul to play and perform for me. Working on guitars and just the love of gear in general is a nice "hobby" with a purpose

I look at it this way, for pro players, it isn't a big deal to have 1000's of dollars in gear/guitars, just look at the average mechanic and ask how much he has invested in his tools, more than likely $40-$60k. Most of us are under the $20k mark in gear.

As for those that are more collectors rather than players, it is actually a cheaper hobby than say collecting antique cars or in some cases firearms

The thought that occured to me awhile back (rare, yeah I know ) that we really only "own" our guitars and gear temporarily. Life is short. The fact that we go thru so much time and money to get the right gear or the perfect guitar and knowing that most likely those whom might end up with the stuff after we're gone most likely won't have the same appreciation for it just kinda hit me like a ton of bricks and made me want to sell off most of my guitars and get down to around 4-5. It was a very depressing thought.

Tags
acoustic guitar , combo amp , double neck , electric guitar , guitar playing , iron maiden , les paul , les paul standard , pink floyd , playing guitar , practice amp , ritchie blackmore , steve vai , string acoustic , tube combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode