Why do we bother? Tons of time and $$$$? For What? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Lightbulb Why do we bother? Tons of time and $$$$? For What?

Imagine if you will, all the time over all the years spent practicing. Now add to that, all the thousands of dollars you spent,and will spend. For what? To impress who?

You look at the thread about the 8 String crazy guy. How many hours did he devote to being phenomenal at THAT? Clearly, hardly anyone is impressed. He must know that by now. Guys on here buy DNA's, Donnies, Cromeis etc. then post pics of there new babies. I'm guilty of practicing for HOURS trying to get 20 secs of music 'just right'. I ask for opinions, I get different opinions from everyone. (which is cool, thank you) But in the end, I don't know any of you. Most you guys don't know each other. We play for people we don't know, want to write and record and sell CD's to people we'll never meet. 99% will never ever break even on our expenses.

For me, when I record something to the point that I like it myself. I'll listen to it a hundred times. If I put that much time into it, and it's where I like it, I want to hear it. Again. And again. Kind of like painting a beautiful picture, then looking at it again and again. It's not so much ego that makes me want to hear my own songs over and over. I suppose it's a sense of accomplishment. "Look, heres a song that didn't exist before I made it! That's my creation right there." I wish others would dig my material. But it's like having a baby, your is beautiful.....to you. My wife (kind beyond words) has listen to my music and gave me props since I knew her 22 years ago. She's my biggest fan.

I want a couple new guitars. An AT300, a Chromie, and a Carvin. I don't need them, I have guitars I don't play now, because I have guitars I do play, that are just fine. I got all the tone I need covered. So why spend a few more grand on guitars. I could put that towards my house, or paying off my truck. Which is much wiser. But, I'll probably resolve to get an AT300 in a few months. Then I'll post pics, some of you'll ohh and ahh. Some will say it ok, but that they like their Jem better.

So do we practice and spend all this money to impress anyone? I think the list of the impressed is quite small ya know.

Just thinkin out load is all.

Your thoughts? Why do you do it? Imagine investing $2500 at a decent rate for 20 years instead of buying an amp or guitar. A $500 will do fine. We all know that, but still we HAVE to have "impressive" gear, and write and share impressive songs. It's a sick hobby we all share. But darn gratifying at times too!!

Your in randomness, Darin

By the way, Merry Christmas my noodly brothers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 12:34 AM

Re: Why do we bother? Tons of time and $$$$? For What?

I agree with alot of that...It's fun??

Merry Christmas!!!
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 12:52 AM

I think the initial draw of the guitar for me was "to impress someone", and because it just sounded so cool. But only after I had the guitar in my sweaty palms, and learnt how to play that first chord did I realise that this thing, this inanimate object that I held in my hands could give me so much joy.

After 20 years of playing, I now play, practice and write for me. The guitar became my best friend, my enemy, and even my psychiatrist.

Merry Christmas to you guys too.

Last edited by wilch; 12-24-2007 at 04:22 PM.
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 01:55 AM

The day I first heard Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden, I decided I wanted to learn to play guitar. I've been addicted to distortion ever since. Something about crunchy metal tones just makes me smile.

Honestly, I think that the desire to impress others is low on the list of reasons for why most people choose to play guitar (or any form of artistic expression fo that matter).

There are plenty of ways to impress people that take way less effort than learning to play an instrument with proficiency, let alone excellence.

I think the main reason most people play guitar is because it makes them feel good. I know it's the reason that I play.

As for gear, i reckon that it's more of a grass is greener situation. No matter how happy you might be with your current tone, when a new amp hits the market, who knows, it might have an even better tone?

Posting pics of your gear is less about showing off (on this site anyway), than it is about sharing your love of all things guitar. I thoroughly enjoy looking at fellow Jemsiters new purchases, and I wish them alot of enjoyment from their new gear, cause I know how much I like getting new gear myself.

I think we bother because it's fun. I too have poured alot of time and cash into my guitar playing, but I don't regret a cent or a minuite. The ammount of fun I have had playing guitar has been well worth the cost in dollars and time.

Hope I havn't bored anyone with my dribble.

Merry Christmas and a happy (and rocking) new year.

Rock on!

Last edited by HeavyMetal4Ever; 12-24-2007 at 02:05 AM. Reason: I made a mistake...
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 02:07 AM

I play cause I like too. But to answer your questions I will quote Pink Floyd.

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way"
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 08:30 AM

It beats sitting in front of the telly for the evening

I started learning because i love guitar music, not because i thought it would impress anyone. And to this day....i haven't come close to being at a level i would like to be ability-wise, but the joy and satisfaction of knowing i can come home from a crappy day at work, with all else in the world being wrong....i walk into my room and there waiting for me are my beautful guitars that always put a smile on my face. I am in debt due to my recent GAS....but the joy they bring to a mundane life is priceless It's all about what makes YOU happy in YOUR life

If anyone does hear you and is impressed...whether noodling in front of friends or playing a gig....that's just a rewarding bonus.

I can understand people who have music as a career would have a different perspective due to the pressures of having to find success to pay the bills.

Some people spend small fortunes on tv's (no Cid.....i'm not talkin' trannies ) and home entertainment systems....others have expensive hobbies. Our chosen vice is the guitar and music
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
The guitar became my best friend, my enemy, and even my psychiatrist.
I LOVE this quote
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 09:55 AM

That is a good quote wilch and it sums things up for me.

I have always said that playing live in front of an audience is like therapy that I get paid for rather than paying someone to psychoanalyze my thoughts.

Happy Holidays friends!!!

best wishes,

Bones
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 01:21 PM

Guitar (and music in general...I'm a pretty mean pianist if I do say so myself ) is my love and is always going to be. I'm 17 and I'm dead sure I want music to be my career, however it turns out. I've been the biggest music dork since I was 11 (when I started guitar) and I've played piano since I was 5. By the time I was 13 I was studying (teaching to myself) "college-level" (if music can be categorized into grades) theory.
Music is very natural to me, and guitar is especially. My job now is teaching guitar all around the great city of Noblesville, Indiana
And thus, playing and studying leads to the study of awesome tone. That does require cash, but besides living, what else am I going to spend my money on? True, all the essentials of living come first, but all other money goes to funding new gear. It's trying to find the medium through which you best express yourself. I'm "almost" there in terms of tone, but I know my tastes will probably change 5 years down the line.
I try to impress myself on gutiar so that given the opportunity, I can impress others, and thus get a job doing what I enjoy most.
But also, it's a hobby. It's just like car collectors...many of them don't even drive their cars! They spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on things that just sit there and pollute the earth when they're used! We guitarists atleast use our treasures.
But then again, if you want to get into psychology...what is the point of life...?
Smitty
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Why do we bother? Tons of time and $$$$? For What?

I play for my audience, my bandmates and myself!!! and that fullfills me!
No wasted money or time from my point of view!!!
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:25 PM

Reviews: 1

I play and practice because it's my anchor in life. I go to a good place with music that I cannot get to any other way - and no matter what happens in my life - my guitars are always there for me. Jobs, partners, family, homes, friends -all can change- but my music is always right there for me. Always.

-jemaholic
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Imagine if you will, all the time over all the years spent practicing. Now add to that, all the thousands of dollars you spent,and will spend. For what? To impress who?

You look at the thread about the 8 String crazy guy. How many hours did he devote to being phenomenal at THAT? Clearly, hardly anyone is impressed. He must know that by now. Guys on here buy DNA's, Donnies, Cromeis etc. then post pics of there new babies. I'm guilty of practicing for HOURS trying to get 20 secs of music 'just right'. I ask for opinions, I get different opinions from everyone. (which is cool, thank you) But in the end, I don't know any of you. Most you guys don't know each other. We play for people we don't know, want to write and record and sell CD's to people we'll never meet. 99% will never ever break even on our expenses.

For me, when I record something to the point that I like it myself. I'll listen to it a hundred times. If I put that much time into it, and it's where I like it, I want to hear it. Again. And again. Kind of like painting a beautiful picture, then looking at it again and again. It's not so much ego that makes me want to hear my own songs over and over. I suppose it's a sense of accomplishment. "Look, heres a song that didn't exist before I made it! That's my creation right there." I wish others would dig my material. But it's like having a baby, your is beautiful.....to you. My wife (kind beyond words) has listen to my music and gave me props since I knew her 22 years ago. She's my biggest fan.

I want a couple new guitars. An AT300, a Chromie, and a Carvin. I don't need them, I have guitars I don't play now, because I have guitars I do play, that are just fine. I got all the tone I need covered. So why spend a few more grand on guitars. I could put that towards my house, or paying off my truck. Which is much wiser. But, I'll probably resolve to get an AT300 in a few months. Then I'll post pics, some of you'll ohh and ahh. Some will say it ok, but that they like their Jem better.

So do we practice and spend all this money to impress anyone? I think the list of the impressed is quite small ya know.

Just thinkin out load is all.

Your thoughts? Why do you do it? Imagine investing $2500 at a decent rate for 20 years instead of buying an amp or guitar. A $500 will do fine. We all know that, but still we HAVE to have "impressive" gear, and write and share impressive songs. It's a sick hobby we all share. But darn gratifying at times too!!

Your in randomness, Darin

By the way, Merry Christmas my noodly brothers
I think you need to get out a little more .
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 05:07 PM

I play with myself!

No,no,no.........i mean FOR myself
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 05:15 PM

That'll be a double neck then .
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
I play and practice because it's my anchor in life. I go to a good place with music that I cannot get to any other way - and no matter what happens in my life - my guitars are always there for me. Jobs, partners, family, homes, friends -all can change- but my music is always right there for me. Always.

-jemaholic

Well put. And hit's the spot for me too pretty well.

Tags
acoustic guitar , combo amp , double neck , electric guitar , guitar playing , iron maiden , les paul , les paul standard , pink floyd , playing guitar , practice amp , ritchie blackmore , steve vai , string acoustic , tube combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode