Why? Just why? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Why? Just why?

Was trollin at guitar center today, they got a new kirk hammet ESP in (IT IS AMMMAAAAAZZZZZIIIIINNNNGGGG btw) so I went to go jam on it.

Some dude and his girlfriend come play next to me with a brand new squier fat strat. He turns around, asks me how long I've been playing, we talked for a few minutes, and he asks what he thinks about squiers. The one he had was around 300$ so I told him if hes gonna spend that much on a squier, that he can get a used real deal fender for cheaper (there was a mexi with david gilmour pickups for 290$). He kinda thinks for a minute and says "eh, I just prefer buying new stuff". Why'd he ask then? lol

Im sure some of you are the same way, but probably not for cheaper guitars like this. Whats the mentality behind it? I've never bought a brand new guitar besides an OLP MM1 and that was becuase used cost just as much as new at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Why? Just why?

Inexperience and hesitation--that sums it up...

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

I never bought and never will buy used guitars unless it's something rare which I always wanted,people scratch their balls while playing it
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 01:09 PM

I always buy ebay now, its such good value.

But I get why people buy new, it just feels better to know no dirty smelly poor person has touched your guitar.

Its a psychological illusion, like when your own cooking tastes better or being afraid of the dark, but as such its deep rooted and its probably more trouble than its worth to try and ignore or reprogram it.

And if its new you can take it back if its not OK, but I dont mind broken guitars as you learn stuff when you try to fix them.

How can a guitar be bad anyway, its just a bit of wood that makes a noise, if you dont like the noise use more distortion.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:36 PM

What's it to you what he does with is money? I'll buy new or used depending on what I want and the price I can get it for, and how much of a pain it's going to be to find something used vs just going to buy it, and have it with a warranty. If yuo buy something on ebay or craigslist you have nowhere to go if yuo get a piece of junk. I was only burned once on ebay and it hasn't stopped me from going that route, but if my choices are going $100 for something used or $1300 for it new, it's worth the extra $200 to not run the risk of buying someone else's problem.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:55 PM

I almost only buy used guitars. A few reasons.
1. They just don't make em like they used to, I'll take a beat up 87RG over a brand new prestige any day, its just a better guitar.
2. The duds don't survive long, if a neck survived 20 years of play, then its a good neck.
3. Materials, there is just not that much good quality wood stock left, it has been over logged.
4. Price, most guitars are like cars, as soon as it leaves teh showroom floor, it becomes worthless compared to what you paid, there are exceptions to this rule.

I will buy new if I have to, but I always try to find it used first.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:30 PM

never had a new guitar in my life haha i prefer used simply because a few paint chips doesnt make it any less quality. and if the paint annoys me, i can always refinish. i hate 90% of the stock finishes anyway (obsessed with purple, green and teal)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
What's it to you what he does with is money? I'll buy new or used depending on what I want and the price I can get it for, and how much of a pain it's going to be to find something used vs just going to buy it, and have it with a warranty. If yuo buy something on ebay or craigslist you have nowhere to go if yuo get a piece of junk. I was only burned once on ebay and it hasn't stopped me from going that route, but if my choices are going $100 for something used or $1300 for it new, it's worth the extra $200 to not run the risk of buying someone else's problem.
Lol you should re-read my original post. 1) the other strat was less then 10 feet away lol 2) he payed the same price for a lower quality guitar 3) He asked me for advice.

I dont care how people spend their hard earned money, I just think its silly to buy a brand new squier when a flawless mexi strat with upgrades for the same cost is right next to you
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 06:55 PM

No need to reread it, you were talking to a guy he asked something, opinions were exchanged and you ran to the internet to tell everyone. The guy wants what he wants, no big deal
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 06:59 PM

I will say that the Squier CV Strats and Teles are better than the current crop of Mexis. With hardware and electronics upgrade they are just as good as an Am Std.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 PM

i think its not that good..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode