Windows 10 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
dex

Windows 10

Just wondering if any of you have taken Microsoft up on their free upgrade to Windows 10 offer and what are your thoughts.
I have 3 computers that are eligible for an upgrade but I am reluctant to do it as I really don't want to deal with relearning where everything is and having to configure them and install all my essential software and utilities.
I tried Windows 8 when the free beta version was out and used it sporadically for months before I decided that it's really not for me and went back to 7. Then I got a new laptop with 8 and again downgraded to 7 but the last laptop I bought several months ago came with 8.1 and I stuck with it. I'm afraid that having just learned to live with Win 8 the new Win 10 will again be a pain to move to.
Also I've noticed that Windows update left to it's own devices has the uncanny ability to pick the worst possible time to slow down my computer to a crawl so I always select the "notify me about updates but let me chose when to download and install them" option which apparently is no longer available in Win 10.
Anyway, were any of you guys brave enough to switch to 10?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 10:24 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Windows 10

I upgraded my desktop and wife's old laptop 3 weeks ago. Just bought a new 2 in 1 laptop with Windows 10 already loaded. I really like it. Back to the old desktop mode but the app screen was put in the start menu. Makes everything easy to navigate. Haven't really used the new browser (microsoft Edge) because it doesn't support add-ons until October so Norton can't be sure it is safe. Internet Explorer is still there so I use that for now. Desktop is only 6 months old and uses I5 processor and took about 1 1/2 hours to upgrade. Older laptop with AMD 6 processor took 2 hours but another 2 hours to get Norton working again and an AMD upgrade. So far, pretty happy with Windows 10. Kind of like 7 with 8 in the background if you like using the app look.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 01:02 PM

I tried 10 sporadically (dual boot with 7). As of right now 10 just sits there taking up space and never used. Win 7 does everything I need it to do right now without all the unfinished/unliked aspects of 10.

The biggest turnoff for me is the collection of personal information. Microsoft says it uses this either to personalize your computer or to help make 10 a better operating system ...

What specific information is collected nobody seems to know. While there are ways to turn some of this off, it's either not completely off, or you really have jump through hoops and dig in to the OS to do so. Even then, who really knows for sure. There are some programs being written specifically for the purposes of privacy.

As for reinstalling your software, a suggestion might be to try and find portable versions of what you use and put them on a separate partition. Really simplifies things a lot and helps keep the OS clean from a lot of junk, and survives OS installs/reinstalls.

If you have a need for allowing the OS to automatically do things for you such as updates (including 3rd party drivers), push news/info to you directly, have a need for DX12, then you'd probably find 10 to your liking.

My advice for right now would be to hold off for a while because there are some hardware incompatibilities as far as drivers go. Might want to find out if all the hardware in your computers have drivers specifically written for 10. Incompatibilities might also be true for software, but not as likely.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 05:30 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

you can always roll-back...

I've installed 10 on several PCs & laptops including one from XP->7->10 with all drivers intact and working. Highly recommended if not now within the next 3-6 weeks there is just no reason to wait. Win8 was a bit of a mess and Win7 is a nightmare in comparison to 10.

I have a personal surfacePro3 and desktop on the insider program (fast track release) and no problems.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 09:59 AM

My 2 desktops are both Win10, and my laptop is Ubuntu. No issues with 10 so far on either machine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 12:52 PM

Win 10 is working very well for me, once you uninstall the bloatware app crap, and regain your right to privacy by changing/uninstalling all of the tracking and Microsoft cortana/edge crap, and then make it so that Windows doesn't automatically install updates(it will always automatically download updates, which is kind of weak) then you're good to go!

Very stable on my system, and I have been Win 10 since it was released. And yes, they do give you 30 days to roll back if you just hate Win 10.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 AM

I did, and I am really pleased with it now that I have eliminated all of the extra junk I'll never use. Runs great and looks clean on my new laptop, an Acer E5.

Tags
win 10 , windows , windows 10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode