Windows 7 Media Center - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Windows 7 Media Center

I'm going to be installing Windows 7 Pro 64 on my home theater PC. I use a Logitech Harmony 880 remote, and want to use it with Windows Media Center. I know the easiest way to do that is to buy a Windows remote/receiver and just program the Harmony around that. Anyone have recommendations of a remote that works especially well? Not sure what features are must-haves for a Windows remote...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Windows 7 Media Center

i upgrade my media center to win7 64 myself earlier this year but haven't found an IR controller that can emulate a mouse. Windows XP has several legacy products such as zapstream that let your IR remote do basic things and also run a few macros.

I use the Logitech DiNovo Mini as it's highly recommend to go with your remote.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...d/devices/3848

I don't use "media center" but there area a few extenders for windows mobile and possibly iPhone/iPad... glen
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I currently use a mouse and it's fine for Video/Music... but my plan is to ditch TiVo and go with a Ceton Infinitv 4 tuner and make that my TV/DVR. Definitely will need a fairly full-featured remote for that.

I like the DiNovo Mini idea, but the wife will think it's too big and a pain. :-)
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 AM
site founder 0% owner

gotcha. the mini is only *slightly* larger than a smartphone and the cover prevents accidental clicks. in short a nice addition to any media center or home theater pc.. glen
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:02 PM
site founder 0% owner

check this out Jay... super impressive
http://wmpoweruser.com/meteor-window...l-looks-great/

or direct video link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wssxuN-OYvk

just a taste of what can be done... glen
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Glen, that looks like a pretty nice solution.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 PM

Reviews: 11

Speaking of microsoft........... I just got the new Zune HD. Im actually posting this on it. Seriously, try one. Two things really pop out when im on the internet with it. 1. UV7BK's and 2. The guitar guru logo at the top of the page. Green stands out ssssoooo much on here when its against a black background. And btw, they come with 16, 32, and 64GB of memory. The only real problem is that it doesnt work with youtube and other vid websites. Byt all together, 1000000x better than any ipod touch. I recommend it to everyone. Just figured id share
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:10 AM
site founder 0% owner

zune HD is really nice and Microsoft has just released some new (free) software for it. unfortunately it was "apple'd" and ignored in marketplace. Luckily Zune lives in Windows Phone 7 shipping now in Europe and Nov 8 in the USA... great stuff.

Regarding jemsite on the mobile browser in ZuneHD... after you login select "mobile default" style and see if that helps navigation. there is a large thread about mobile browsing on jemsite.... glen
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
zune HD is really nice and Microsoft has just released some new (free) software for it. unfortunately it was "apple'd" and ignored in marketplace. Luckily Zune lives in Windows Phone 7 shipping now in Europe and Nov 8 in the USA... great stuff.

Regarding jemsite on the mobile browser in ZuneHD... after you login select "mobile default" style and see if that helps navigation. there is a large thread about mobile browsing on jemsite.... glen
i have no problems with mobil browsing on here but ill check it out. by the way, 1 post away from 9000 for you haha
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
i upgrade my media center to win7 64 myself earlier this year but haven't found an IR controller that can emulate a mouse. Windows XP has several legacy products such as zapstream that let your IR remote do basic things and also run a few macros.

I use the Logitech DiNovo Mini as it's highly recommend to go with your remote.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...d/devices/3848

I don't use "media center" but there area a few extenders for windows mobile and possibly iPhone/iPad... glen
The more I think about it, I probably will go with this. There's no single remote solution that will cover everything, so it'd be far worse to use the universal remote for some HTPC stuff, and have to get up and use the keyboard/mouse for others.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM
site founder 0% owner

i've been thru enough gear to really appreciate the Mini. It's just soooooo handy to totally control a PC with a keyboard just a little bigger then a smartphone. Another alternate i toyed with was the gyration air mouse before the DiNovo Mini was released
http://www.gyration.com/index.php/us...keyboards.html

... glen
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

My phone has an air mouse app... and it works, but it's confusing to guide a pointer wirelessly from across a room.

I'm glad I didn't rush to buy anything, because once I thought through it more that Mini just looks perfect.

Also, Windows 7 actually isn't horrendous from a usability standpoint, so that's making me feel a lot better about ditching TiVo.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay ratkowski View Post
My phone has an air mouse app... and it works, but it's confusing to guide a pointer wirelessly from across a room.

I'm glad I didn't rush to buy anything, because once I thought through it more that Mini just looks perfect.

Also, Windows 7 actually isn't horrendous from a usability standpoint, so that's making me feel a lot better about ditching TiVo.
comcast DVR FTW!!!!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:43 AM
site founder 0% owner

Jay, here is software for MC that supports iPhone. I will install the trial myself shortly as there alread is a windows phone 7 version out. For me it would be great as i wouldn't have to power on my projector to listen to music in my home theatre
http://validbit.com/RemotelyPossible/

... glen
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Glen - interesting find! Currently using iTunes and the iphone remote, which works well aside from the fact that you need to use iTunes. Would be nice to set it up with VLC player and have control over pretty much everything from the phone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode