Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Windows Media Player

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  jemsite 
#1 ·
Ok stupid question. On my old computer, I used WMP to rip CD's to MP3 and created a library. When it would rip the files, it would automatically put in track name, artist name, album name.
I get a new computer with WMP 10. But when I go to rip a CD, it doesnt automatically put all the details on the file. I dont know what I am missing. I have the retrieve information from internet box checked but dont know what else to do. Any ideas??

Thanks!

#5 ·
Yep. EAC is the only software I have used for about 4 years. It is the standard. Forget WMP, it's a piece of bloated junk.

Actually, foobar2000 is decent for ripping too, but it ain't no EAC. foobar2000 is still my favourite audio player, though. Deceptively plain looking (no flashing lights or graphics-heavy skins here, thank you), but very versatile and flexible.

#4 ·
I was actually trying to rip my daughters CD so she could put it on the MP3 player she has. I have all the settings the same as the other computer. I wonder if it is because it is on the wireless computer and it is just being slow. I will try the WMP11 beta 2.

#8 ·
WMP gets a bad rap for no real reason. 11 beta is excellent.

WMA-lossless is almost a no-brainer... best format (no data loss from CD) and very compatible with small devices and home devices (streaming) and phones (WMP downconverts for mobile devices to lower res WMA files).

now, if you're stuck using MP3s then WMP probably can be beaten with LAME (even though you need a player now) and if you're on an iPod you're limited to iTunes for ACC if you value quality but there are many good reasons to use WMP i have found... glen

#12 ·
if you're on an iPod you're limited to iTunes for ACC if you value quality
Glen, I use an ipod with my own MP3 files, but I use www.ephpod.com to transfer files. EphPod will allow you to transfer file to and from the ipod.

What is wrong with WMP is the quality that it creates when it rips the original disc. The difference is very evident when compared to the same file ripped with Exact Audio Copy. If you are happy with WMP, then use it, but if you want the best possible copy, then use EAC.

#16 ·
it's tough to debate sensibly with apple zealots but lets at least keep a perspective... iTunes has "poor" alot of things. Took to v7 to sniff out and import album art. "compilation" handling is abysmal, too many criticisms to list but it's one strength is enabling newbies to use their ipod AND purchase music.

i use iTunes *only* to sync to my nano but that would be deleted/uninstalled ASAP if i had a different portable player. (i use iTunes to "convert" the .WMA lossless tracks in my main library) down to 128kps AAC for the nano. With the nano you need two libraries if you desire quality music playable on your computer (unless you like low bitrate songs). With WMP you don't (if your player supports WMA) since it will optionally downconvert songs to fit your players memory capacity.

Regarding lossless, I think you have it backwards... AL was a direct response to WMA-lossless based on my knowledge and quick wiki search shows this...
WMA - early 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMA_Lossless
Apple Lossless - april 2004
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless
(and you can't get lossless songs from iTunes Store can you).

But lets be honest, ripping down a large library to Apple Lossess would be idiotic given the dearth of compatible products (and mobile phones) that can play them... with or without an apple logo. As PCs migrate into the living room Apple will still be the "mac" (small percent of zealots) and you'll be stuck with a format (apple lossless) that the own company shows no real interest in. Video game consoles & portables won't them... glen

#17 ·
I don't like WMP. It's too limited, too bloated, too intrusive.. and just crappity! Maybe I spent too many years at HydrogenAudio forums and got spoiled on great free audiophile software? I dunno, but for me, FLAC, Musepack (which most of my stuff is ripped to), LAME encoded mp3, etc. That's where it's at.

#19 ·
i'll try to download.

one problem is i'm relying on iTunes and tagging to "exclude" certain songs (or add them later quickly) to be sync'd. (i don't sync the entire "nano library" and skip bad songs on certain CDs).

can i transfer a "smart playlist"... or exclude songs (to sync) with ephpod based on tags in one field?

also, ephpod can transcode/reencoed WMA-lossless >> .AAC/.M4u right?

i'd love to get iTunes and QT off my last PC.. glen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.