Windows Vista anyone? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Windows Vista anyone?

i would like to get it; eventually i will, but not for a little while. i never get an O/S release when it comes out. not sure if it will even be worth it. if there are nice features that i can use, cool, but i'm not getting it for the "pretty factor." i'll have to dig in and get research done. what have you guys found?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 03:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Windows Vista anyone?

i've used the betas and release candidates on a test PC (software testing - P4/2.0, 1GB ram, updated ATI 9550 256MB Graphic card as the integrated Intel 845g card wasn't supported after beta1 except VGA mode). I think i also was given a full license/code for retail (Release Candidate 2 activation is not disabled or anything). It's nice and inevitable just very different from XP and annoying from a support/usability angle if you go back to XP.

Minimum functional desktop res of 1280x1024 needed IMHO. (i'd like to see Aero on my 1920x1200 24" LCD at home i won't lie). smaller notebooks at XGA will be limited.

XP was more an upgrade from 2000 than Vista is from XP imho.

run the Vista compliance tester before upgrading, that is for sure. Checkyour graphics card.
http://www.nvidia.com/page/technology_vista_home.html
http://ati.amd.com/technology/window.../Products.html

i myself wouldn't bother at this time to upgrade, but since all new PCs shipping will include Vista only (it's as if XP was magically sucked out of supply - try to find one!) we'll all be using it as we upgrade PCs sooner than later.

I just sent in my "XP free Vista upgrade" that came with my home PC - Dell E521 X2 (to vista business pro) - but i'll hold off installing that for the next few months without a doubt... glen
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 03:14 PM

i tried the beta version, some softwares wouldnt work.. as expected..i'll definitely upgrade mines when the softwares got the updates for them..

post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 03:47 PM

Im running Vista Business Edition, and im loving it so far.

The last Beta i tried was a build from almost a year ago that didnt have the Aero interface in it. It even detected my monitor's native res of 1920x1200. .

I havent had many software compatibility problems, but the latest ATI drivers did cause my computer to hang, but the betas work ok, which is a bit strange! Hopefully they'll be sorted soon though .
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 03:48 PM

I tried a RTM beta version. I liked it a lot. Only problem I had was that my sound card (m-audio) was not supported. Maybe it will be soon. If and when it is I will probably switch over. My only concern is what I've read about built in anti-piracy measures that degrade audio and video quality as well as being more CPU intensive. I'm not sure if this is true. It's just something I read online.
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 04:38 PM

i believe most guys would definitely go for Vista! their looks are awesome! definitely the best looking OS out there IMO.
post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 04:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

had to take this over remote desktop but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (47.0 KB, 183 views)
post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 04:51 PM

will you still have to update it every 4 mins or are they going to release something that works and has decent security measures from the get go?
post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 04:55 PM
site founder 0% owner

only 2 "windows" updates since final beta 2 over here. one was for the defender spyware definitions. xp has more and i won't mention other lesser alternates ...glen
post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 07:26 PM

be sure that you will require to update every 4min in the future...

How much that "Aero" resembles OS X interface. Anyway, imitation is the best compliment.
post #11 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
will you still have to update it every 4 mins or are they going to release something that works and has decent security measures from the get go?
Since this is just another look & feel upgrade rather than the structural redesign from scratch as they promised long ago, you can bet you'll be updating and installing patches just as much as with XP. The first vulnerabilties already can be found on Bugtraq.

A buddy of mine wanted to use Vista, but his 4 month old PC won't support it, oops!

But ooh what pretty colors!

j
post #12 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 12:13 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn View Post
Since this is just another look & feel upgrade rather than the structural redesign from scratch as they promised long ago, you can bet you'll be updating and installing patches just as much as with XP. The first vulnerabilties already can be found on Bugtraq.

A buddy of mine wanted to use Vista, but his 4 month old PC won't support it, oops!
no offense, but your buddy is either or moron or got ripped off on his "4 month old PC". ROTFLMAO.

sorry again, but *nix and whatever OS rotten apple is peddling is alot worse ...glen
post #13 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 12:16 AM

here we go Apple versus Windows..

Your never going to come up with a why windows is better than OSX.. Lets see maybe its the computer/user relationship cause you have to spend 90% of your life trying to keep it clean of spyware/adware, or maybe its the constant upgrading, the constant holes being found in its security.. Hell maybe even that nice blue screen that shows up all the time.. And then theres the file structure where windows just throws stuff everywhere so even when you uninstall something its still there etc..

Yeah im glad you like punishment.
post #14 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
no offense, but your buddy is either or moron or got ripped off on his "4 month old PC". ROTFLMAO.

sorry again, but *nix and whatever OS rotten apple is peddling is alot worse ...glen
lol agreed, my pc is a couple weeks old and it can run vista easily, just i didn't have enough moola for a dx10 card so i won't be able to run that once it comes out
post #15 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 12:21 AM

theres plagues of people with new computers having problems running it.. its getting national media attention now..

http://www.break.com/index/how_to_pr...oad_vista.html
Closed Thread

Tags
multi track , randy rhoads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode