windows vista laptop wireless issue - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

windows vista laptop wireless issue

this new laptop with vista can't connect to the internet via my wireless network. driving me nuts. my xp laptops work fine with the linksys router but not vista. i tried a lot of things and i'm tapped. no ip is being assigned. anyone seen this? it's something in vista. i changed my network password, disabled firewall and antivirus as a test on the laptop, nothing, no ip. i can see the network and the networks in my neighborhood but when i try to connect to mine i get the error...connected with limited connectivity. i have no internet access. proxy settings are fine and firewalls are blocking nothing. i have found some internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) which is in vista. not familiar with that but it seems it halts internet connectivity since most routers can't see that. disabling it may work. been up till midnight the last few nights and i'm going mad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 AM

Re: windows vista laptop wireless issue

I know its not helpful but I would suggest getting a mac.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

yeah yeah, i was waiting for that. i'm not a fan but thanks.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:56 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

disable ip6 immediately as it wastes tons of bandwidth.

you might have to enable ssid broadcast on your router, then sniff out the wifi then disable ssid broadcast again. my vista notebook was just too flakey over time and i did a XP install the thing is bullet-proof now and rips. but even with vista it worked pretty good in random places when traveling (hotels, panera, etc).

if you can't get an ip assign a manual one as a workaround... glen
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordiesel View Post
I know its not helpful but I would suggest getting a mac.
And/or XP.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 12:44 PM

I haven't had any trouble with my Vista-based notebooks. You might want to check your IPv4 connection properties and manually enter your DNS server addresses. If there are IP and DNS addresses already keyed in, set it to automatically detect and then disconnect/connect to your wireless network.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 PM

Reviews: 25

Your best bet is to ring your internet providers technical help department and get them to talk you through connection via Vista.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Your best bet is to ring your internet providers technical help department and get them to talk you through connection via Vista.
It should work right out of the box, ISP networks are DHCP-enabled for that very reason.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

yes, help should be a call away but they are all idiots. i'm a tech, do this stuff a lot, but vista is difficult. it's something in vista. i'm going to check again now. just upgraded the firmware on the router.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

well it's working. not sure what the exact deal was but after upgrading the router's firmware and selecting a different security other than WEP, it worked. got right in. odd. thanks guys for your assistance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode