Wireless network question - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
EdE

Wireless network question

Ok so I finally got a wireless router. I have set it up to the point that I can access the internet with the laptop but I cant see the network. Also, in the router configuration window, I cant see the laptop (to get MAC address) to make it the only wireless device to be able to log on to the network. How do I get the router to recognize the wireless laptop so I can add to the Wireless card access list? I have a Netgear WGR614 and a Dell Inspirion 1505 if that helps.
I know I am missing something stupid but for the life of me I dont know what.
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 11:24 AM

Re: Wireless network question

to get pc's to see each other on your network at home they MUST be a member of the same workgroup. right click on MY COMPUTER, go to properties, click on COMPUTER NAME, then click CHANGE. make sure the computer name is there. i name it something so i know what pc it is on the network. then type in a workgroup name. this must be the same for each pc. also, click on MY NETWORK PLACES on your desktop. double click on network setup wizard. follow the prompts. you should be good to go. this all goes for winXP. good luck. after you do this you might want to consider setting up for mac addy filtering for extra protection on that wireless nic.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 11:39 AM

To find your laptops MAC address, on the laptop click start - run, type cmd and click ok. In the black window that will open up type: ipconfig /all
Look for the line that say physical address and thats the number your are looking for. IT should look like this: Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-61-2A-94-9D, with different numbers of course since every network card have a different MAC address.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 01:41 AM

Make sure to install the Netbeui protocol if you want them to see each and then follow shredmaster's advice. Sometimes it can be picky if it wants to see each other so once you've installed it on both machines, make sure to switch them both off then switch them back on.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
EdE

So I am an idiot.
I cant get the thing to even connect to the network unless I have all the security disabled. Which I know I dont want to do.
I cant get connected to the router to even browse the internet.
I used WEP 64 encryption with a Key. I went to the Wireless connection properties, on the Association tab set Network authentication to Open, Data encryption to WEP, and entered the Key under network key. It still wont connect.
Any ideas? I tried calling NetGear but was on permahold. I couldnt find a Netgear forum either.
Grrrrrrr.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode