Won my PayPal Dispute! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Won my PayPal Dispute!

I'm pretty happy! Got my 4k back

The guy was too cheap to pay for insurance, then it arrived and he claimed it was damaged. He claimed that I shipped him a bum guitar and was totally unplayable.

LUCKILY, I had made videos of me playing the guitar, videos of me packing the guitar, etc.. and I won my PP dispute with him.

So yeah...all sellers..I would highly recommend making videos of you playing the guitar and packing it. Put the vids on an unlisted YouTube channel and if **** ever hits the fan you are 110% safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: Won my PayPal Dispute!

Smart thinking.

-Wolfram
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! One of mods on MLP asked me to do a thread explaining how to make the videos so ill probably post a quick tutorial here too.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Thanks! One of mods on MLP asked me to do a thread explaining how to make the videos so ill probably post a quick tutorial here too.
That would be cool to know. I'm selling a guitar soon, and have a restricted setup:

1. I don't have an amp or speakers. I play strictly through my FX unit into Reaper (monitor via headphones) on my PC.

2. My movie-making software (iMovie) is on my other computer--my Mac.

Always wondered what the best way to record and synch all this stuff up is. I guess I just video myself playing while I record in Reaper. Then, export the audio file over to the Mac and into iMove, and sync it up. I think that's the method, but I've not tried it yet.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Reviews: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
That would be cool to know. I'm selling a guitar soon, and have a restricted setup:

1. I don't have an amp or speakers. I play strictly through my FX unit into Reaper (monitor via headphones) on my PC.

2. My movie-making software (iMovie) is on my other computer--my Mac.

Always wondered what the best way to record and synch all this stuff up is. I guess I just video myself playing while I record in Reaper. Then, export the audio file over to the Mac and into iMove, and sync it up. I think that's the method, but I've not tried it yet.

Just make sure you do a clap before you start playing, otherwise its a nightmare to sync up exactly
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Just make sure you do a clap before you start playing, otherwise its a nightmare to sync up exactly
Yep! I remember you mentioning that in another thread a few weeks ago. Very useful.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 07:47 PM

Im glad to hear paypal decided in your favor. Im surprised they did though, even with your proof their rules state the item must show up in the condition in which it is described meaning putting insurance on the item is for the sellers protection not the buyers. I have had this issue come up before and they (paypal/ebay) typically don't care if it was damaged in shipping and the buyer wouldn't pay for insurance. Its the sellers responsibility to make sure all the protections are there until the buyer has it in their hands.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
Im glad to hear paypal decided in your favor. Im surprised they did though, even with your proof their rules state the item must show up in the condition in which it is described meaning putting insurance on the item is for the sellers protection not the buyers. I have had this issue come up before and they (paypal/ebay) typically don't care if it was damaged in shipping and the buyer wouldn't pay for insurance. Its the sellers responsibility to make sure all the protections are there until the buyer has it in their hands.
To be honest I was ready to lose my money too, I was looking up statistics and whatnot and it seemed highly probable I would lose.

Also its not like we just didnt discuss insurance, we talked about it and I had a specific message from him saying to insure it for X amount.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
I'm shocked, as this has always been standard MO for Paypal claims. It's your responsibility no matter if insurance is paid or not. Very strange.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm shocked, as this has always been standard MO for Paypal claims. It's your responsibility no matter if insurance is paid or not. Very strange.
Well, like I said above, the guy sent me a message specifically asking to underinsure.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 11:49 PM

Reviews: 11

One for the good guy!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:32 AM

You're telling me that the guy bought a $4k guitar and didn't want insurance?

One thing I hate about eBay is that there's no way to add insurance to a shipping charge unless you just charge a flat fee. It only will calculate the uninsured shipping amount. Is there any way to charge the insurance as a handling fee?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM

As mostly a seller, I am glad you won one for the team! But I still am very surprised as shipping is the sellers responsibility (unless the shipper screws it up and it's provable). A buyer does not need to purchase insurance. Insurance really is up to the seller (I generally self insure my packages because I finally learned what a scam the shipping insurance is...but that's for another day).
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i usually insure using carrier + a third party insurer.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:54 AM

hopefully that guy learned his lesson.

Lots of crazy ppl on ebay. ..

I had a guitar for sale, "paypal only" I said, and I had this person try to rip me a new one in an email b/c my only payment method was paypal. They actually said in the email " I hope something bad happens to you"!!!! WTF!!

And from looking at the persons other purchases, I don't think they played guitar or had anything to do with music. They bought tons of item made from green tinted glass, and the guitar I was selling was a green acrylic BC Rich Mockingbird. I think they just wanted to hang it in the living room.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode