Working out, advice for first timer with no experience please!! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Cool Working out, advice for first timer with no experience please!!

Hey up,

I know theres a few people into their fitness on here, so I'm hoping you can help me out.

I'm not particularly fit, and I want to feel healthier, look a tad more buff on the arms, and have a more defined chest. I've got no experience at all with working out, and need some advice with some general living, eating stuff and how to do excercises/work outs to reach my goal .

Cheers for any help give,

Spikey!xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 01:30 PM

Re: Working out, advice for first timer with no experience please!!

I work out on the treadmill for a half an hour about 3-4 days a week and lift wieghts for about 20 minutes about twice a week. Im about 5' 9" and weigh about 150-160 or so. Ever since I quit smoking about a year and a half ago, i've been working out more.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 01:49 PM

Reviews: 6

Eat smaller portions. Pushups are really good if done correctly. Also aerobic exercise is important. Find something you like, mountainbiking, hiking, skateboarding. Aerobic is usually easier when it's something fun. At least for me. It's always easy to whip off a couple sets of pushups/situps in front of the tv or in the morning.
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 03:48 PM

I would start out with push-ups and their many variations.

Do some leg stuff, too. A lot of people forget about that. Simple squats will work just fine.

I wouldn't worry about getting into any supplements, but a decent protein powder might not be a bad idea.

Eat a pretty well balanced diet, and try not to live off of fast food.

After you start getting the hang of it, I would start doing some pull ups, incline and decline bench, various curls, etc.

Grab a few copies of Men's Health and Men's Fitness and start reading those as well. Although a lot of the info in there is boring and monotonous, they typically contain at least some worthwhile info.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemwielder View Post
Also aerobic exercise is important. Find something you like, mountainbiking, hiking, skateboarding. Aerobic is usually easier when it's something fun.
Definitely. If you're trying to develop a habit, it's much harder to develop if you hate what you're doing.

Another thing I'll throw into the mix: don't overdo it. Make sure you're doing things properly before you start throwing weight on and trying to turn yourself into The Incredible Hulk.

Might also suggest some form of martial arts classes?
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 03:59 PM

Definitely watch the diet. Watch the Carbs intake. Contrary to popular belief, fats don't make you fat, carbs make you fat. (especially the bad ones)

an example of bad carbs = processed sugars, white breads, candy pop, etc.

an example of good carbs = red potatos, 7 grain breads. (healty foods)

Anyways, it would also be a good idea to go pick up one of those DP beginner weight sets. Then you have some barbells, etc to lift with and they come with a progrom booklet for beginner weight routines. If your not used to excersing, START SLOW. Low reps and sets with little weight. (it's all in the booklet that comes with the set.)

Have fun and good luck in taking the first step to a healthier lifestyle And NO, it's isn't true that bulking up a bit slows you down so don't worry bout your guitar playing
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 04:25 PM

All the above advice is good.

I would sign up to your local gym asap, start light - do not go crazy!

Do some stretches, some abs, bit of rowing machine, bit of light weights (start on the machines)....get your heart rate going.

BuY a few copies of Men's Health and talk to people who work out regularly, they'll provide most of the advice you're gonna need.

Eat sensibly, stay off dirty carbs, drink plenty of water and the best advice I can give at the moment is to just turn up at the gym 2-3 times a week, the rest will fall in to place.

Have fun with it and don't make it like hard work.

Well done for wanting to look after yourself

Last edited by Batchimp RG; 03-25-2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 05:02 PM

i just joined my local gym and asked them for an exersise program and they made one to suit me.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 05:17 PM

my ap bio teacher does work out programs for people and he says the fastest way to get muscles from lifting weights is doing what he calls the 2sec 4 sec lift, 2 seconds lifting up and 4 seconds going down controlled. When you do a controlled drop it breaks off the cross bridges in your muscles which causes growth of the muscle (damn college bio class ) he wont really tell our class much more cause he charges 350 an hour for this stuff so thats all i got right now for ya
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 05:23 PM

Don't bother man. Weights are really heavy and you have to lift them up, then lift them again. Pfft no thanks.
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
Don't bother man. Weights are really heavy and you have to lift them up, then lift them again. Pfft no thanks.
Good thing you don't play a Les Paul, Rot!!! :mrgeeen:
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Good thing you don't play a Les Paul, Rot!!! :mrgeeen:
That kind of working out I can handle.
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Lift heavy things up and put them down again.

Eat twice as much as you normally do (you need extra calories to build muscle)

Do this for an hour a day, four days a week.

Ten years from now, congratulate yourself on the fact that youve wasted 2080 hours of your life lifting things up and putting them down again.

At an average 16 hour day, thats 130 full days of your life that could have been spent playing with your kids, walking on the beach, watching the sun set with your wife/girlfriend, travelling the world and visiting exotic places.

You'll also have eaten enough extra food to feed a small African country full of starving children.

But at least you'll have big muscles.

** public service announcement - this post was a joke . Maybe... **
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 06:31 PM

1) Exercise about 20 minutes every day. yup, aerobic exercises are good actually. Better still if you can have cardio vascular exercises...

2) Dont have heavy meals for dinner, just light ones will do. Our body burn food less faster at night.

3) Dont sleep after every important meal like breakfast, lunch or dinner. All those excess food that are just consumed will happily turn into fats.

4) Keep a well balanced diet. Eat a wide range of food category like fish, vegetables, fruits, fibre. Red meat should be eaten less.

5) Keep rockin' until hell freezes over. Whats the point of having a healthy body but feeling lifeless inside.........Keep Rockin' man, life is short. Enjoy it
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 07:01 PM

you could always call john petrucci and ask for advice

Tags
gauge strings , guitar playing , heavy gauge strings , john petrucci , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode