Working Out/Exercise - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Gex

Working Out/Exercise

Hey guys, I'm gonna need some health advice here.

I'm 18 years old, 6'2" and about 205lbs. (Big build, wide shoulders) A year ago, I weighed 250, but after cutting the soda and french fries, and smaller portions, more salads, I've trimmed down considerably after eating better to a weight that kinda hovers around 205. My neck, arms, and upper body have slimmed down, and so have my feet, and lower legs. I currently am not on an exercise program, and I dont play sports, and haven't done either for several years.

Unfortunately my midsection hasn't slimmed much. My belly, behind, and thighs/lovehandles are still kinda fatty.

Lately, I feel a lack of modivation, a lack of energy, lack of mental speed. When people talk to me, I really have to think kinda hard for a response, its not automatic like I feel it should be. I feel like a zombie most of the time, to be honest. There are some times when Im bouncing off the walls feeling good and being very quick, spontaneous and funny like Robin Williams or something. People tell me I'm hilarious (when Im in one of these good moods) but Im quiet and dry other times, since I cant ever think of a damn thing to say. Those moments of mental agility and hyperactivity are usually short-lived and I'll go back to my sluggish state again. I have to CONCENTRATE to keep from stumbling over my words, because every time somebody talks to me, I feel like I have to "pull myself back to conciousness" to think of a response. Something is definately wrong here. I'm not shy.

I constantly have that "I just woke up" feeling, and it lingers, unless I jumpstart myself with a ****load of caffeine (not good. .addiction headaches, ect). I feel that "out-of-it". I sometimes just feel like shaking my head, jumping up on the table like a wildman and screaming my lungs out. But I can't. . I'm constantly in a sedated sort of mind, WAAAAYYY too chilled out.

Note: I am NOT Depressed. Im not feeling sad, just lethargic and energyless.

Tonight, a strange idea hit me. I was late to my friend's birthday dinner, so I randomly decided to run though the apartment complex to my car (where my friend's brother just moved in). It was the first time I'd run in probably close to a year. (pretty sad, eh? well read on. . .thats part of my point here)

It felt good to run, it was exciting. I think it might be what I need to start doing regularly. One thing it did, is it kind of force shocked me out of one of my chilled out moods. It kinda "shook me awake" and I felt alive again for a brief second as I was running to my car, looking like a maniac who's sprinting for no reason. It made me realize, that maybe its lack of exercise thats bringing me down mentally.

Now that the background info has been laid down, I have two questions:

1. Working out obviously improves the physical appearance and physical health of your body. Does it really change the mental aspect? The body is all connected, the mind is part of the body, so my hypothesis is. . .If I start to exercise, I'll kick my brain into gear, and wont feel so damn stupid all of the time, and tone my tush.

2. Whats the best way to trim a flabby behind? Running?

Thanks for the help and support guys, I need some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 12:35 AM

Re: Working Out/Exercise

I work out about 3 or 4 times a week 30 min. at a time and since I quit smoking 4 months ago, I do it more, lift weights too but only to tone my muscle, I have always been slim (5' 9", 145 lbs) but quitting smoking made me eat more so now I have been watching my weight closely because I have seen what it does to people who quit, they gain weight. I like to look great too so working out does make me feel better mentally as well as physically. I just can't believe that I was working out back when I was smoking, that was stupid.

Congrats on you going from 250 to 205 lbs.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
Now that the background info has been laid down, I have two questions:

1. Working out obviously improves the physical appearance and physical health of your body. Does it really change the mental aspect? The body is all connected, the mind is part of the body, so my hypothesis is. . .If I start to exercise, I'll kick my brain into gear, and wont feel so damn stupid all of the time, and tone my tush.

2. Whats the best way to trim a flabby behind? Running?

Thanks for the help and support guys, I need some help.
1. There is a mind/body connection with exercise but at 18 you shouldn't feel too lethargic depending on other health/diet factors. Diet could be a key here. Mental acuity has been shown to suffer with poor diet. One thing to strongly consider is taking a good time-release multivitamin - whether you are going to work out or not. You could start with the cheaper 100% of everything ones and after a while move up to some higher potency ones depending on your lifestyle/stress level. And cut down on the caffeine - that leads to yo-yoing your system.

2. Running does little to tighten a flabby butt. Remember the butt is the glute muscle and it needs to be worked as a muscle which running does little to work. Running works it more than doing nothing mind you, but runners don't get good butt development. If you don't want to go to a gym, a better butt workout than running is biking. But doing weighted lunges and/or squats and/or leg presses as well as leg curls at the gym will be the most effective. If you want to go all out and have chicks follow you around because of your butt, take up speed skating. That's the best glute workout there is.

It is probably a good idea to go see a general practice doctor to get checked out and they can get some background on you (blood pressure, heartrate, etc.) and see if maybe there isn't some other issue.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:18 AM

I posted this before but seems to be worth posting again....Sorry I did not feel like rewriting so here is a cut and paste:

No magic bullet. Warning: some science stuff ahead!!!

If you want to get in shape...diet and workout.

Diet: Average man w/ average activity needs no more than 2500 Cal/day. Someone who is sitting all the time is less than average......See where this is going?? First thing to do is change your diet so that you reduce the incoming Cal. But also change WHAT the diet is.

Have to reduce the heavy carbs except for the meals that directly proceed a workout (without a carbo load you may not be able to get through) and then you want complex carbs instead of simple ones (pastas/bread instead of choc. cake). Here is how this works..Your body wants to run on glucose. If it is around that is what all the tissues use. The only organ that HAS to use it is your brain. If it is in short supply in the blood, then the body starts freeing up the fatty acids from the fat storage (for men located in that part of your body hiding your belt buckle). Changing your diet away from simple or complex sugars (carbs) means the body not only needs to liberate the fat storage but because Fat production is increased by more carbs in the blood, you make less. This is the basis of the Atkins diet and if followed in moderation and by not eating fatty meats (ie eating lean chicken etc) will help turn you around fairly quickly.

Exercise: Activity does several things. 1) it increases the rate at which you use the energy by increasing the requiremnts for both fat and glucose (duh right) while you exercise, 2) if done correctly will increase the rate at which you use energy sitting on you butt, 3) makes you "feel" better because of release of "reward" neurotransmitters.

With increased activity you use up the availible energy containing substances in your blood and muscles. This means you have to liberate more from your fat cells to make up for the loss. However, it is how you exercise the matters. You need to occomplish 2 things: 1) use up the glycogen in your muscles so they send the signal out that they need more energy and 2) you have to do it the right way so that you use the right fuel.

You muscle stores its energy in glycogen and keeps it in the muscle. There is also glycogen in your liver. In short term needs, these are used for energy. Only after using these up do you convert to other methods of getting energy (ie braking down fat). On average this takes 20 min. So the first 20 min you are exercising does NOTHING to help reduce fat. It may help in other respects as far as inshape etc but that is it. The conversion between glycogen use and converting to useing fatty acids is what runners refer to as a "second wind."

The second thing is that the last step in using carbs as energy (ie fat, sugar) is converting oxygen to water. THere are two types of metabolism one uses oxygen the other doesn't. To liberate the fat, you need the one that uses oxygen. If you work out to the point that you are completely out of breath, then you do not have oxygen availible and you get nowhere. Instead, you need to workout where you raise you heart rate and keep it there (for most people 120-140 beats per min) but not so high that you do move into anaerobic metabolism. Generally, at this rate you can hold a limited conversation and is a good indication if you are not going to hard.

Puting this together, you need an aerobic workout (120-140) for 30-40 min at least 3x/per week. This will increase your needs and force your body to unload the fat. THis will also increase your base metabolic rate while sitting around after an extend time. This effect is increased by 20-30 min additional training where you lift weights. WHY? because resting muscle has a base tone that it maintains. Increase the amount of muscle and you increase the amount of energy required to keep all your muscles at that base tone.

With exercise you also have increased release of chemicals in your reward centers of you brain. This effect is increased by increased base metabolism. THis is why people who suffer from depression are benefited by exercise. It also explains why those who are less active are often depressed.

Other benefits include better heart function (the heart gets better at using less oxygen, increases its contraction efficiency and decreases how many times it needs to beat a min), less chance of Diabetes (adult onset is almost competely due to Insulin tolerance secondary to too much blood glucose), decreased cardiovascular Dz (from reduced fats in the blood) and increased general health (fat acts as a proinflammatory substance in the body and increases free radicals).

Smoking: Stopping this will also help a bunch overall but will hurt a little at first for your wieght loss because it is a slight surpresses you eating a little. However, doing both will greatly decrease your risk for about everything. As a matter of fact without smoking, lung cancer would almost not exist. The lowest association is 75% for the top 6 types.

Disclaimer: If you think you may have heart problems etc you should see a Dr. before doing the exercises as I had described.

To other Med/Biochem types that read this: I have over simplified this for general public discussion. To do so I have jumped over or combinded some ideas so if you see something you think is wrong it is likely due to that (although I could have made a detail error also..)

Hope that helps (My info comes from my training as an MD/PhD ....about 1 year from being done...Yea!!)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:27 AM

Ive had similiar problems in the past and this can be easily overcome as long as it is not a thyroid or major health issue. Before making any assumptions, I would suggest getting a blood test to be sure all of your bloodwork proves to be in good order. An allergy test is good too, sometimes foods you really like are actually making you sick. From here if everything checks out ok, its merely a balance of diet and exercise. Dopamine levels in your body can cause the symptoms you are describing. When this chemical in your brain gets low, it will cause the foggy feeling. To elevate dopamine, you need to exercise more hard and also eat lean protein foods. You do not need to go overboard in the eating area. This is the biggest mistake most people make. Eat everything in balance and dont starve yourself. Getting a washboard stomach is very unhealthy and you would need to consistently keep something like 10% bodyfat which is basically starving yourself. You will discover what works best for you, as you said that after you ran you felt a raise of feeling much better. Also, in regards to not feeling like answering people or not knowing what to say, well its not your job to entertain people. Its just life, dont get to stressed about it. You will discover as you get older that most people are turds anyways :}
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 09:18 AM

For me, working out is great. Since I feel good physically it gives me the "get up and go" to do whatever I need/want to. That in turn keeps me too busy to "feel lethargic, etc....".
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
1. Working out obviously improves the physical appearance and physical health of your body. Does it really change the mental aspect?
Yes Gex - it most certainly DOES change the mental aspect. I've been working out pretty much non-stop since highschool. When something happens where I do have to stop, ie: injury, I feel terrible. Like a old lady. Not only in my body, but I seem to lose the sharpness of thought as well. But there's a bit of a difference in age here. At 18 I wouldn't think you should be having the problems you stated. Unless you arent sleeping, or you arent eating properly. Ya might want to just go get a full physicals incl blood tests. Never know, you could have low blood sugar or something. I know - I avoid doctors at all costs as well (I have to be near death, lol) but it could be worth it just for some peace of mind
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 09:51 AM

People always say how they don't have energy to exercise, but to tell you the truth, the mornings where I DON'T get up early and do weights and cardio, I feel like I have no energy. When I do get up early (5:30am!) and do all that stuff, I feel energized all day.

As unscientific as it sounds, exercise seems to globally add more energy than it takes away. But, as jimmi points out above, the body's metabolism is more complex than dealing with matters of straight calorie consumption vs. calorie burning.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:12 PM

Just a note in addition to the essays here, there is no such thing as "spot training" to lose fat. What I mean is your body burns fat from all parts equally. So you aren't going to trim your belly by doing crunches, for example. You can build muscle in that area, which may give the appearance of more tone, but what you really want to do is, like Nike says, "Just Do It!!" Just start slow and don't overtrain, push a little further each session. Running is always good, but swimming is much much better. No shock to any of your joints, overall body workout, etc. Sounds like you have the diet under control, like stated earlier, there is no magic bullet, just keep at it, don't weigh yourself and look in the mirror everyday, it's like watching your hair grow, you won't notice any change. Maybe once a week or every two weeks jump on the scale. Also remember, it is almost impossible for the body to burn serious amounts of fat and build serious amounts of muscle at the same time. Pick one or the other that you want to achieve. Look at the Mr Universe guys in the off-season, horribly fat. That's there bulking up phase, then they stop building muscle and just cut fat for 6-8 weeks. Mind and body are definitely connected, as is the soul. Congratz on the weight loss so far, keep it up my friend!!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 08:04 PM

Some good stuff above, especially Jimmi's post. Advice will vary, and sometimes contradict, so a good exercise forum (and a balanced one - many musclehead forums might give short shrift to aerobic workouts, for example) would be a better one than this for such advice. Having said that, here's a couple extra thoughts:
I would train differently on different days. IMO 3 days of aerobic workout & 3 of weight training with a day off would be great, but it depends on goals, resources, etc.

Exercise definitely affects mood. There are chemical changes and reasons for this, in addition to the positive psychological effects of improving yourself.

No aerobic routine is great for building muscle. With aerobics you want to burn calories by using big muscle groups. Running does this very well, depending on your speed. Stair steppers or actual aerobic classes can be even better, but are harder to work with, because you need a gym. Weight bearing exercises seem to go further than swimming on weight loss for other reasons, even with equal calories burned, and IIRC the mechanisms aren't fully understood. Maybe it's the cooling effect of water, or the buoyancy of fat, but swimming just doesn't seem to do as well on average from what I read (on weight loss; as an overall health thing it's hard to beat). Having said that, running is HARD on knees. No doubt. If you make running a habit, GET GOOD RUNNING SHOES and replace them at least yearly.

Your body will put fat where it wants to. You may have 10% body fat, lean everywhere, and love handles. Don't stress about it. As mentioned, you can't spot reduce - just get your body fat % to a good level and be happy.

The main thing is to start to do something you enjoy so you keep doing it.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:20 PM

Enough already, spot reduction IS possible, it's 2006, it's called liposuction. Just do it.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Gex

Thanks for the excellent advice. I'm gonna start working out regularly then, and see how that goes. I have a swimming pool, so I'll make more use of that when it gets warm again. (soon)

Probably head over to GNC and pick up a multivitamin or two. I cut out the coke, but not the diet coke. I decided to quit those too, since they both have caffeine and I got some bottles of Deja Blue.

Lots of good information here, and I copy/pasted it into a word document on my computer to reference every once in a while.

Thanks alot guys.

If anyone's got anything to add, please do.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar
Enough already, spot reduction IS possible, it's 2006, it's called liposuction. Just do it.
LMAO, you got me on that one. But I have heard it hurts like hell for quite a while afterwords, and I don't think it would do much for someone his size, he isn't that out of shape, maybe when he was 250. Anyone here actually gotten it?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk420
Anyone here actually gotten it?
Even if they did, you think they'd admit it

Anyways I'm in the midst of getting fit once again, in Singapore we have conscription, and even when that's done the army comes back to haunt you every year till you're like 35 or something. I have to take a fitness test, failing which I get to come back during weekends to have some good old fashion PT.

The perks however are pretty good, get a gold award and you got 400 buckeroos!

I just have to stop coming to this site and start exercising...

Anyone know how to beat procrastination?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris From Singapore.
I just have to stop coming to this site and start exercising...

Anyone know how to beat procrastination?
A wise sage once said: the best way to beat procrastination is with a good nap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode