Worth getting Windows Vista for directX 10? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Worth getting Windows Vista for directX 10?

I was thinking about getting Vista to replace my XP software for better Gaming but alot of people seem to think its crap, anyone got first hand experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 PM

Re: Worth getting Windows Vista for directX 10?

well I think it has to iron out the bugs still but once they patch it better it will definitely be worth it . The same big ordeal went over about dx8 to dx9, everyone thought dx9 would suck horribly because of how its bugs it had in the begging. But now its the standard for most games and soon dx10 will eventually be patched to become more stable and it will become the standard for game designers. That is my 2 cents.

btw I don't have vista atm but my friends and parents have it and I was a alpha and beta tester for Vista Also a good dx10 video card is a hard choice since the high new high end isn't out yet and if you get a 8800gtx it would suck if it is true the gtx has problems with game such as crysis. For me I might wait for the new high end or just get a gtx and use Evga's step up program if the new high end comes out after I get it
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:34 PM

I've had no problems with Vista since upgrading, and I'm quite impressed with a lot of the changes. I wouldn't recommend it at all for gaming though, as the the Vista OS uses far more system resources than XP.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyr Machine View Post
I've had no problems with Vista since upgrading, and I'm quite impressed with a lot of the changes. I wouldn't recommend it at all for gaming though, as the the Vista OS uses far more system resources than XP.
true but then no dx10 if he sticks with XP and if dx10 lives up to their goal it should be worth it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 PM

Reviews: 25

Been running Vista for about 3 months, and it has some bugs, but so does XP. XP is horrible software as was every other windows thats ever been released. VIsta is the best so far of the horrible software that microsoft release. I gotta say Vista is fun to use once you get used to everything, and games work ok except for an occasional driver stopping problem, that seems to be a common bug.
Fact is all new PCs come with Vista and your eventually going to have to switch over, its unavoidable...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Been running Vista for about 3 months, and it has some bugs, but so does XP. XP is horrible software as was every other windows thats ever been released. VIsta is the best so far of the horrible software that microsoft release. I gotta say Vista is fun to use once you get used to everything, and games work ok except for an occasional driver stopping problem, that seems to be a common bug.
Fact is all new PCs come with Vista and your eventually going to have to switch over, its unavoidable...
yup yup, and as I said the drivers/coding still do have bugs in Vista for games mostly but it is only because it is so new. Soon the drivers should soon be much better
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 AM

I bought a new Dell XPS laptop recently, it came with Vista Home Premium preinstalled. Obviously it sucked in the first boot, too much crap software bundled with the PC. After a couple of hours of uninstalling all of that, it ran a lot faster, but still not fast enough IMHO.
After I logon in the PC I have to wait 5-10 mins for the HDD to stop working (no joke, 5-10 mins!). It's really annoying.
The visual candy is nice, but I get twice that with a system twice as fast with Ubuntu (again, no joke).
How many DX10 games are really out there? Hell, DX10 hasn't even been released yet. I would wait at least until SP1 is out, and then get the slimest version available of Vista. i wouldn't trade off that a game would look a little bit nicer for a PC that runs so slowly on every other single task right now.

Last edited by felipe82; 10-24-2007 at 11:25 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipe82 View Post
I bought a new Dell XPS laptop recently, it came with Vista Home Premium preinstalled. Obviously it sucked in the first boot, too much crap software bundled with the PC. After a couple of hours of uninstalling all of that, it ran a lot faster, but still not fast enough IMHO.
After I logon in the PC I have to wait 5-10 mins for the HDD to stop working (no joke, 5-10 mins!). It's really annoying.
The visual candy is nice, but I get twice that with a system twice as fast with Ubuntu (again, no joke).
How many DX10 games are really out there? Hell, DX10 hasn't even been released yet. I would wait at least until SP1 is out, and then get the slimest version available of Vista. i wouldn't trade off that a game would look a little bit nicer for a PC that runs so slowly on every other single task right now.
well it is a laptop >_> I don't expect any laptop to be very fast due to the limited gpu's, powered down cpu's and lower frequencies for ram. And in a month I think about like 4 new dx10 games are coming out, CRYSIS!!! woo
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 PM

Reviews: 25

Umm of course Vista runs s h i t e on a laptop, most laptop hardrives spin at around 5200 cycles per second or min i forget which it is where normal desktop PC HD's run at 7200, You will find the laptop HD taking a while to stop during startup cause they are slow as hell, and thats because they are half the size of a standard HD What you gain in size with laptops you loose with speed etc.. Unless your running a $6000 Alien ware laptop and for that money I could build a monster system 5 times faster than that....

and VISTA is alot better when you have a high end CPU and nice graphics card, and minimum 2gig of fast memory, otherwise forget Vista all together. Vista is an OS for the next generation of fast Computers, laptops have really got to be speced up for vista to work fast.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
true but then no dx10 if he sticks with XP and if dx10 lives up to their goal it should be worth it.
Dx10 is useless so far. If that's the only reason you're going Vista, I'd wait about a year.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:08 AM

Lightbulb Re: Worth getting Windows Vista for directX 10?

I've been running Vista for some months now, I was basically forced to migate from w2k, I didn't like XP, but MS stopped actively supporting W2k.

System info: Vista Business, running mostly "home" applications:
word processing, some accounting, lots of internet, mp3, dvds. Bit of gaming.
-Relatively low spec 3GHz 1GB MoBo+ medium Vidcard
-Vista video performance index: 5.9 out of 6
-others around 4/6

Initially the biggest problem was moving lots of files or big files, esp. starting out and refiling some harddrives. Not much of an issue anymore.
BT compatibility: older hardware (luckily I have no scanners/printers)
USB settings on MoBo...hard to troubleshoot, but I managed.
Gaming: used to be able to run Test Drive Unlimited, but has since slowed to a crawl (could be due to Nvidia driver incompatibility)

As I was troubleshooting the (USB/BT) interrupts, I had a close look at the problems my Vista had, in total 180 problem reports:

-45 were interrupt related (MoBo/USB settings) probably some more leading to freezes that weren't logged (hard reset).
-35 were Vidcard related, usually during gaming (upgraded NVidia drivers roughly every three weeks, plus some MS hotfixes)
-22 explorer crashes (of which 11 OLE related and 5 codec, generating icons for xvid-avi)
-19 Windows Media Player (just bad software IMHO)
-18 other applications (not written for Vista)
- 8 IE7 mostly flash related
- 5 windows applications (notepad etc.)

- 14 assorted OS related

the last category is probably the most "core windows" issue, covering the MMC, defender, networking diagnosis and search index.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:41 AM

i bought it against my wil in january of this year. it's still in the box and i do not have plans on installing it until all the bugs are worked out...who knows when that will be. XP is rock solid!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Dee

I still like XP. In fact I like to make my own stripped down version of it with nLite. Using this great bit of free software you can pull all the junk out of XP that you don't need. My own stripped version weighs in at only 140MB -- that's with SP2 and fully patched/up to date with all the latest updates. When you consider that normal XP without SP2 and no updates is more than 480MB, you can see how much junk I remove.

On top of this, you can make lots of tweaks to the registry, configure all the services, and basically make XP more secure than ever. The final step of the process is to make a bootable CD, and mine, even on a old Athlon 64 3200+, installs in 4 minutes flat.

XP is gonna be supported for many years, so if you are not happy with XP as it comes, tweak the hell out of it.

I have tried Vista and I didn't like it much. I noticed it needs a huge amount of tweaks to make it run good, especially to the services. Turn as many off as possible!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:44 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrojem View Post
I was thinking about getting Vista to replace my XP software for better Gaming but alot of people seem to think its crap, anyone got first hand experience?
don't do it unless the specific "game" requires it or you have a specific reason. if for any reason it requires more CPU and RAM just to do the same thing XP did and there is no vista only software whereas alot of stuff doesn't run in Vista.

it's not a matter of being crap (for general use it's fine) but the matter of being immature and having a different architecture to it's predecessor (XP) for reasons that make little sense to customers & computer users.

upgrading just for the sake of upgrading is pointless... glen
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:14 PM

in referance to direct x10 i wouldn't bother wasting your money on one of the cards yet. I forget which cards it was tested by custom pc but on a latest x10 game with the most expensive card at the time they were getting something silly like 8fps. I'd rather not bother.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode