Would you ever relocate to another country? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Would you ever relocate to another country?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has or is planning on relocating to another country.
I am looking into as a possibility after I finish with school.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Would you ever relocate to another country?

Knowing different places and cultures is one of the best things in life, it really opens your mind.
If someday you have that chance...............go for it without even thinking about unless if the destination is a bad place
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 AM

I think about doing it all the time. Funny thing is I would move to another country before I'd move to another state.

The best thing about moving to another country is all the women there are foreign, something to think about.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 07:54 AM

I plan on moving to California to do my masters then either Singapore or hong kong after.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
I plan on moving to California to do my masters then either Singapore or hong kong after.
Very cool!

After school I have been thinking about moving to Beijing. If it makes sense I've been hearing that the job market in Beijing is very favorable towards foreigners. Especially Americans.

I can't imagine waking up one day in China. I've always dreamt about it and I find the transition to be an exciting process as well as freighting.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Knowing different places and cultures is one of the best things in life, it really opens your mind.
If someday you have that chance...............go for it without even thinking about unless if the destination is a bad place
hmm the only bad places I can think for a an American at the moment is another state, middle east and maybe Russia.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmattms View Post
Very cool!

After school I have been thinking about moving to Beijing. If it makes sense I've been hearing that the job market in Beijing is very favorable towards foreigners. Especially Americans.

I can't imagine waking up one day in China. I've always dreamt about it and I find the transition to be an exciting process as well as freighting.
If you wanna die from lung cancer when you're like 35, sure go for it. The pollution there is so bad now that the meteorological agencies dont even have a rating for how hazardous the air is. Supposedly the highest level is 500, and just the other day it was over 800. So yeah, have fun breathing toxic fumes (that smog blows over to Japan sometimes as well, making me cough like crazy).

Japan isnt any better though because of Fukushima. I recommend everyone stay away from here. The Government here keeps saying everything will be okay, they win the olympics in 2020 on a lie that there wont be any radioactivity in Tokyo itself (which is total BS as there is already radioactive water flowing into the west coast of North America).

ON TOPIC:

I moved to Japan almost 8 years ago from L.A. I enjoyed it although even for someone who can speak Japanese as well as I do, it was still a lot to get used to right out of college living on my own for the first time in my life (on top of that it being in a foreign country where I had no friends). It was hard at first, but after I moved to Nagoya (I've been here almost 7 years) I was able to make some friends and things got a lot smoother. I think starting to play guitar helped me calm down and give me an outlet for a lot of my stress.

In the past year or so, I've started to get annoyed with the heavy metal community here, so I've kinda retreated into my own world. All they listen to is damn extreme metal (LOTS of black, death, screamo, emo etc) and the lyrics make me sick. I cant enjoy myself with other headbangers.

So yeah, that's basically my life in Japan. Work, play guitar, sleep. Rinse and repeat. Sometimes go out to guitar shops and try different stuff out after my guitar lesson.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
If you move to LA, you can easily go to Carvin's stores in Santa Ana, Hollywood, or even San Diego If you're near Sacramento, they have a shop there too iirc.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
If you wanna die from lung cancer when you're like 35, sure go for it. The pollution there is so bad now that the meteorological agencies dont even have a rating for how hazardous the air is. Supposedly the highest level is 500, and just the other day it was over 800. So yeah, have fun breathing toxic fumes (that smog blows over to Japan sometimes as well, making me cough like crazy).

Japan isnt any better though because of Fukushima. I recommend everyone stay away from here. The Government here keeps saying everything will be okay, they win the olympics in 2020 on a lie that there wont be any radioactivity in Tokyo itself (which is total BS as there is already radioactive water flowing into the west coast of North America).

ON TOPIC:

I moved to Japan almost 8 years ago from L.A. I enjoyed it although even for someone who can speak Japanese as well as I do, it was still a lot to get used to right out of college living on my own for the first time in my life (on top of that it being in a foreign country where I had no friends). It was hard at first, but after I moved to Nagoya (I've been here almost 7 years) I was able to make some friends and things got a lot smoother. I think starting to play guitar helped me calm down and give me an outlet for a lot of my stress.

In the past year or so, I've started to get annoyed with the heavy metal community here, so I've kinda retreated into my own world. All they listen to is damn extreme metal (LOTS of black, death, screamo, emo etc) and the lyrics make me sick. I cant enjoy myself with other headbangers.

So yeah, that's basically my life in Japan. Work, play guitar, sleep. Rinse and repeat. Sometimes go out to guitar shops and try different stuff out after my guitar lesson.
What sent you out there in the first place??

If I were to go anywhere it would be Australia. I don't know where in AU exactly because all of it looks amazing compared to all the corn here........

Japan would be awesome too- Maybe they have high paying (guitar) tech jobs somewhere
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:26 PM

Reviews: 120

Everyone wants to come here! Although with the current pack of *******s currently in charge of the country I fear they are going to ruin us very quickly!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Everyone wants to come here! Although with the current pack of *******s currently in charge of the country I fear they are going to ruin us very quickly!

LMAO....... it's not like we have it better here....... maybe it would be an even trade........

I do have to say- your housing prices are RIDICULOUS!!! A modest house there would buy a 4bed/4bath home in a gated community on a golf course here.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
What sent you out there in the first place??

If I were to go anywhere it would be Australia. I don't know where in AU exactly because all of it looks amazing compared to all the corn here........

Japan would be awesome too- Maybe they have high paying (guitar) tech jobs somewhere
At the time, it was more that I was happy to be away from L.A. I didnt feel like L.A. was for me, but now I'm seeing that no matter where I go I cant be 100% happy so I'm just staying here because it's the only place I'll actually find work.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 PM

Reviews: 120

Yeah I know, although I think our rates, etc make up for it somewhat? I'm sure I remember reading a thread here a few years back after the financial crisis, and people were quoting their rates and stuff and they were scary high compared to here. Like thousands a year.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 AM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I do have to say- your housing prices are RIDICULOUS!!! A modest house there would buy a 4bed/4bath home in a gated community on a golf course here.
Try Vancouver - it's insane…365k for a dinky little condo and close to 1 million for a detached home in Vancouver…it is insanely ridiculous...:

For Greater Vancouver as a whole, including suburbs such as Burnaby and Richmond, single-family detached prices climbed 24.4 per cent to $922,600 over the past five years. By contrast, prices for townhouses rose 7.8 per cent to $458,000 while condo prices increased 4.5 per cent to $365,600.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 01:00 AM

Reviews: 10

I love the west coast of Canada but I sometimes think it would be nice to live in the southern US where the weather is so amazing…I went to southern Utah last year and fell in love with the area…so beautiful and lots of sunshine…it would be nice to spend the winters somewhere warm cuz I sometimes grow weary of the wet cold winters here

Tags
international , moving , traveling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode