Writing Contest #2 - "JEM GIVEAWAY" discussion - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Writing Contest #2 - "JEM GIVEAWAY" discussion

OK, we're preparing for another Writing Contest so I wanted to start a new thread here for the NEXT contest.

This one will have to be more automated so it will be *most likely* handled by the forum "paid subscription" feature
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/payments.php

It is NOT YET enabled so don't post about "wrong currency" and other errors if you try to make a payment

Upon entering payment, you will be granted accesss to this exclusive forum to competition participants. Specific times, dates and details can be discussed there.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Couple things to note...
* We can consider a pricier JEM77BRMR but possible shipping allowences will be lowered ($30 allowance - free CONUS) or eliminated.

* Even if we stick to 125 participants and a VWH, the next competion will have a slightly increased fee to handle in-house costs (income tax, surcharges).

* Kenny will help organize but cannot accept payments. Others have graciously volunteered to help and they'll be called upon if needed ASAP

* If competition #2 goes well we can consider another but that is a long ways away.

* I'd like to consider allowing ONE entry per person for 3-4 weeks (and specify that) THEN open it up to multiple entries per person (only after the time specified) if needed. I noticed people getting impatient after less than one week! The original "rules" had a timeframe of 2 months!

Congrats again to the Grand prize winner "airguitar" and TWO runners up "Kirk" and "Rickcard71" of contest #1 ... glen

Last edited by jemsite; 02-27-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 04:50 PM

Re: Writing Contest #2 - "JEM GIVEAWAY" discussion

How about changing the prize from Jr. Editor to Moderator for 1 month?
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 04:51 PM

I have a suggestion:

Is it possible that some reputable forum member could receive payment for these contests or memberships via credit card?

I won't use PayPal even at gunpoint, so I'd be willing to pay the obvious extra costs associated to card use in order to participate. Of course, there should be a "test" period so the cards are verified (i.e. I pay via credit card but get no benefits for a month or so, so the payment collector is sure I'm not a scammer).

Maybe even a jemsite.com store? I understand (and a thank him for it!!!) Glen does this as a very time consuming hobby...but I sure would buy t-shirts, picks, coffee mugs and all sort of things if I had the simplicity of a secure webstore.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 04:52 PM

count me in... gotta get a uv some how
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
I have a suggestion:

Is it possible that some reputable forum member could receive payment for these contests or memberships via credit card?

I won't use PayPal even at gunpoint, so I'd be willing to pay the obvious extra costs associated to card use in order to participate. Of course, there should be a "test" period so the cards are verified (i.e. I pay via credit card but get no benefits for a month or so, so the payment collector is sure I'm not a scammer).

Maybe even a jemsite.com store? I understand (and a thank him for it!!!) Glen does this as a very time consuming hobby...but I sure would buy t-shirts, picks, coffee mugs and all sort of things if I had the simplicity of a secure webstore.
thanks... good feedback. i am looking into this. one problem is the requirement of a "merchant bank account" for credit cards (and often monthly fees) but I will look into this.

places like 2checkout.com (which integrates w/ vBulletin) have a one-time set up fee of $49 and 5.5% rate plus $0.45 of each total order which is makes $20 into $18.45 USD.

short term - on special occasions perhaps the "vendor" supplying the item can accept CC payment directly. all feedback welcome... glen
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:01 PM

I'm there too .

Regards

André

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:16 PM

So what will be the prize again?
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:19 PM

I completely disagree with lowering the shipping allowance - there were many contest entrants from overseas and this would leave them with a HUGE burden - we don't want to be Oprah, do we?

"airguitar" Andy who won the last contest is probably going to have to pay about $100, even after the allowance. ANd he's only in Wales, UK. Imagine if he was in Austraila...

I think the people who would be willing to enter won't mind paying a $25 fee to enter the contest and it would bring in enough money to cover that $100 allowance plus your taxes and even a consolation prize or two, even if it's just cash+entry into the next contest. Kirk seemed to be pretty psyched. ...especially if the prize is a BRMR.

re: paypal...
Sorry to the 2 or 3 people who don't like paypal for their own personal reasons, but it works and it's simple. Throwing other payment methods into the mix is only complicating the lives of those running the contest. We easily got 125 entries for the last contest without having to accomodate any other payment method. A couple of people who wanted to enter, but didn't want to use paypal, were able to come to an agreement with another jemsiter to get them in and then repay the money some other way. i did that with rotti and hobophobic did it too (i think). If you have a will, there's a way.

i think that's it for now.

~Kenny
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:24 PM

OK so its a BRMR, can someone summarise in like 2 sentences what the contest is about>?
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Vendor

Glen isn't considerring that after deducting the cost of the prizes and all expenses the "profit" or "tax burden" is negligeable.

Andy chose UPS at + $170, in addition he's looking at 24% of $2000 plus UPS brokerage, usually about $60. It's still a very reasonable price to pay for a JEM, but it's definately no freebie at over $700
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos grijalva
So what will be the prize again?
probably a JEM7BMRM+CASE

summary here:
http://www.jemsite.com/compete.htm

one thing about "overseas" is you guys gotta realize these JEMs can be 2x more COSTLY there than US (except in JPN)... and the dollar is weak... glen
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Glen isn't considerring that after deducting the cost of the prizes and all expenses the "profit" or "tax burden" is negligeable.
Stick to guitars (not law or taxes)

if i collect $3k that is "misc income" and i have no phantom "deduction". PERIOD... glen
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Vendor

If the site is using it as an entrance fee, then the prize given to the contest winner is fully deductable from the proceeds. Talk to your accountant but it's not a difficult concept

[unless I'm missing something obvious, it would be the first time!]
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
probably a JEM7BMRM+CASE

summary here:
http://www.jemsite.com/compete.htm

one thing about "overseas" is you guys gotta realize these JEMs can be 2x more COSTLY there than US (except in JPN)... and the dollar is weak... glen
Yeah i know, i have family in the US so i got no porblem with that.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:44 PM

okay, i'm in.

Tags
root beer model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode