xbox 360 purchase? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

xbox 360 purchase?

i did some researching here and i saw this has been discussed but i just wanted some simple quick answers. i tend to game on my pc, which is my fav way of gaming, when i actually do game...but there are times when you want it on the big screen such as when you have friends over. for that i have PS2 and love it.

went over to a friend's house yesterday who has XBOX 360. first time i really saw it. i was very impressed with the way the graphics look. to me the graphics look a little cleaner without the edgy ridges...like i have seen with PS2 at times. so now, even though i don't need it, i'm thinking of XBOX 360. i will keep PS2 since i have a handful of games. just wanting to know some feedback between you guys who have seen or owned both. i may not get it but i love the graphics. just looking for thoughts.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 10:14 AM

Re: xbox 360 purchase?

graphics aren't gameplay.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 10:54 AM

360's graphics will always be better than ps2's. The capabilities of the system are far superior.

That said, If you are going to buy, I'm of the conviction you should wait to see whether ps3 takes over the reins as the champ. Bit of a slow start, but on paper it should be much better than the xbox 360.

I'll probably get slammed by some 360 owners for saying that. But its true It has the capabilities, but it will have to find its niche a little better. If it does there's no stopping the fact that it will have the upper hand over the 360.

maybe I'm digressing from your question though.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:38 AM

Go get it... !!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 07:41 PM

I don't have any allegiance to either system. I don't really agree that the PS3 is technically all that much better than the 360, but that is irrelevant. It matters less what the system's technical capabilities are as what use the games make of those capabilities. In a world where games are constructed (often) to a least common denominator level to be cross-platform capable, the full power of the systems just isn't utilized.

The bottom line for any system is always the games anyway. The most capable system in the world is useless if it doesn't have any games you want to play. Find the system that has the games you want and buy that one. Simple as that.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 08:10 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: xbox 360 purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
I don't have any allegiance to either system. I don't really agree that the PS3 is technically all that much better than the 360, but that is irrelevant. It matters less what the system's technical capabilities are as what use the games make of those capabilities. In a world where games are constructed (often) to a least common denominator level to be cross-platform capable, the full power of the systems just isn't utilized.

The bottom line for any system is always the games anyway. The most capable system in the world is useless if it doesn't have any games you want to play. Find the system that has the games you want and buy that one. Simple as that.
I somewhat agree with your statement, but what happens when you like games from different systems?!? in my case I am a big Castlevania and Biohazard fan and I am sick of buying different consoles to be able to play the games I like!!!
Game developers and console manufacturers are definitely out to rip us off!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 08:28 PM

dude dont get it yet, the new ones are coming out this summer, faster processor that runs cooler and is cheaper to manufacture 120 gigs of memory standard and hdmi output
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
dude dont get it yet, the new ones are coming out this summer, faster processor that runs cooler and is cheaper to manufacture 120 gigs of memory standard and hdmi output
it's not faster but will run cooler. It's just a different die for the chipset.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfiend14 View Post
it's not faster but will run cooler. It's just a different die for the chipset.
i thought they said it was cheaper and faster processor but w/e, but still hdmi output and 100 more gigs of space... i would wait, because i am waiting for it lol
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
I don't really agree that the PS3 is technically all that much better than the 360, but that is irrelevant. It matters less what the system's technical capabilities are as what use the games make of those capabilities. In a world where games are constructed (often) to a least common denominator level to be cross-platform capable, the full power of the systems just isn't utilized.

I guess so....
I say buy the stronger system with the better prospects. Because THAT is the system the developers will be scrambling to develop for..the other system will get the 'scaled down version' of the games. they develop for ONE and settle for the other, that's what I've read countless times when developers are discussing - in retrospect - what they do. With the exception of a few titles here and there, you're much more likely to get what you want with the industry leader.

but...which is that? I think that xbox has probably already been dethroned, but I'll keep that to myself for now. lol
Blu ray seems to be winning too.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

i didn't know they were coming out with another xbox updated box......that will be more money. i guess i can wait.

steve
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
i didn't know they were coming out with another xbox updated box......
Oh come on Steve! In your line of business, surely you know that all of these things are built for obsolescence
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:43 PM

all I can say is that the newer games coming out have both amazing graphics and excellent gameplay (gears of war, rainbow six, etc).
They're learning how to use the hardware now.
I have terrific fun with mine. It connects to my network and I play my music from my computer through my xbox while I play a game.

PS3 looks nice but apparently nobody knows how to program for it.
I really recommend the xbox. It is really fun.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:48 AM

I'll buy one when they start making them with HDMI and 65nm processor (so that it doesn't sound like a hair dryer). I'll even pay $200 extra for a built-in HD-DVD player.

And PS3 is unlikely to win anytime soon. Games are everything and right now there are a scant few decent ones for PS3. Not "great" even, but "decent".

This round will be deservedly won by Nintendo. They make money on every single game and console they sell, and they sell them by a boatload.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 02:29 AM

The only reason that's holding me back from purchasing a PS3 is the limited amount of games and the graphic quality. I demoed some NBA game and the graphics looked like every character was covered in saran wrap. Way too glossy , while the 360 offers a wider variety of games while still maintaining decent graphic quality.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode