Are you an artist on guitar, or technician? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

View Poll Results: What type of musician/guitarist are you, or identify with?
Artist 5 21.74%
Technician 3 13.04%
equally both artist and technician 11 47.83%
I don't know 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Are you an artist on guitar, or technician?

As a musician in general, guitar or otherwise, would you see yourself as an artist (Neil Young, PJ Harvey, Jimi Hendrix) or a technician (Celine Dion on vocals, Jerry Goldsmith as film/TV scorer, or studio guitarist like Steve Lukather)?

The world has many of both and most musicians identify with a little of both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: Are you an artist on guitar, or technician?

My technical playing skills aren't good enough to claim to be a technician on guitar and I don't sing or write full songs...I come up with riffs and progressions that I jam with my buddies every week but we play mostly covers so I guess I would have to fall into the I don't know - or not good enough to be either... lol I guess I'm just a hobby player / jammer =)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 04:55 PM

Reviews: 6

If I had to choose I would say more technician than artist as I'm always struggling to find good melodies, but my tendency to seek for uncommon stuff/originality in my own music tends to equal the balance, so I choose to be both, but it could also have been none of them...
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 05:25 PM

I think I'd identify as both, as I am a reasonably technically capable player and I find it quite easy to write half-decent original material.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 09:31 PM

Reviews: 13

I was a technician for, uh, a decade. Fast & precise soloing, everything teenagers get impressed by. But at some point I just started to play slowly... to work on my bends... to build melodies... I guess I became an artist from this point and beyond.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 10:36 PM

Reviews: 120

Where's the option for hack?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Probably more technician than artist. I'm an engineer by trade and I tend to approach guitar like an engineer might... which is to say, a little to coldly to be called "artist". I can play fast and accurately, but... I lack that creative spark/genius when I write music by myself.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

I was first impressed by the technicians and as a beginning guitarist I was astounded by work of pros like Steve Lukather (Ibanez endorser) and Earl Slick. They can take the artist they are working for and become the guitarist that best fits the song. There is no Steve Lukather sound or Earl Slick sound which is a testament to the selfless art that the unsung studio aces are. Tommy Tedesco is another one with an amazing list of work.

As I started getting the basics and growing, I got sidetracked by singer/songwriters/artists (John Lennon, Don Henley, Joni Mitchell, Indigo Girls, Neil Young) and went on that path of creating songs more than licks. The good is that I developed my own style but the bad is that the style or at most a few styles I know follow me everywhere and it doesn't fit in every musical situation I run into.

I am a frustrated technician wanna be who became a songwriter and I know there's actually the opposite. I see so many who can play anything flawlessly but couldn't write an original song if their life depended on it. The depth of music makes it very hard to be equal in both and one usually takes over.

I remember Jeff Beck criticizing Joe Satriani and lack of style or feeling, but while I love the unique and organic styling of Jeff Beck with all its flaws and passion, sometimes my tastes that day wants to hear the perfect execution of a Joe Satriani. Thank God we have both out there. I would never get the same emotional response from a Joe song, but Beck's lack of precision (compared to Joe) is what allows for more interpretation of a note.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:35 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Where's the option for hack?
lol...that's the option I was looking for
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
lol...that's the option I was looking for
I think while every single person who picks up a guitar is an artist, including the note for note perfect studio musician who may bore some to tears, a "hack" is also an artist.

Some artists are like Jimi Hendrix who rewrites guitar as he goes along, but others are simply people who may not even belong on guitar but are still trying to express what is in them, and that's still an artist by definition.

If all guitarists are artists in one sense or another, even if they don't know or believe it, it doesn't mean everybody is near their potential but everyone has to start somewhere. Some artists can be terribly annoying and sound so imprecise but one's musical tastes can change and later incorporate their catalog. In the 1970s when I first heard Neil Young, I thought he was the worst musician possible (and I wasn't so fond of America's Horse with No Name which was Neil Young sounding) but at a certain point I learned to understand and eventually love his music.

The first time I heard the Rolling Stones I thought they were nowhere in the same category as the Beatles as was often seen in print as something of a Holy Trinity (Elvis, Beatles, Stones), but I later learned to appreciate Mick's vocals and Keith's guitar playing. Far from technically proficient, the Stones would not be the same band if they were more standard and accurate. Mick's tendency for running out of breath and being flat is what I consider the band's most endearing and identifying trait. Mick wouldn't quite fit in the band if he had a perfect voice like the young Frank Sinatra or Nat King Cole. The Stones were a times five rough edges but the perfect counterpart for the Beatles. Like master drummer Ginger Baker mentions, the only real good musician in the band was Charlie Watts, and on a technical sense of the word, I agree.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 01:49 PM

most likely a bit of both...i have some technique but also write, arrange, produce full pieces of music ranging from classical sounding scores to hard rock songs...as far as guitar? while i can play at a reasonable speed i tend to focus more on melodies, bending and note choice unless someone else involved tells me "play fast here" lol...d.m.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 11:05 AM

Reviews: 21

I agree everyone is an artist. Some people like Rembrandt and some like Pollock.
My personal philosophy from the very beginning when I started playing was that I wanted to learn as much as I possibly could and have a massive pallet to work from.
I didn't start playing guitar because I wanted to show off, except maybe to myself, but rather to write songs I like.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 PM

I've never thought about it enough I guess. I'm not creative enough to be an artist and certainly not knowledgable to be a technician sooo I dont know. I play my guitar for fun, to keep me busy and pass the time. Like my wife says "Van Halen isn't calling you to be their next guitarist" I have no illusions of grandeur.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:08 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Are you an artist on guitar, or technician?

I chose artist...I probably should have chosen both, but I'm a harsh critic...Even to myself.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 04:19 PM

you have to be a bit of both...your technique has to be developed enough to be able to accurately represent the material you're writing (although sometimes i try to write a little ahead of my technical level to force myself to get better too)...d.m.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode