Your Parents Favorite Song/Record You Grew Up With - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Your Parents Favorite Song/Record You Grew Up With

When you were growing up you heard one record more than any other from your parents stereo....
today, this song or record would immediately transport you back to your childhood when you heard it....you don't have to like it- or be into it- you may think its stupid - but it's a part of your life.

Name That Tune.

Mine was "It Was A Very Good Year" by Frank Sinatra....(still my very favorite song of all time because of the memories.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:05 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Your Parents Favorite Song/Record You Grew Up With

My mother was a hippie, and loved Donovan...I am a huge fan of his stuff because of that

My father was a beatnik Jazz saxophonist and so because of him, I love Dave Brubeck, and Maynard Ferguson. Ferguson was a trumpet player but my old man flipped over him.

There was a book out during the time called Suzuki Bean about a little beatnik girl, that was very influential in my upbringing...

My Mother used to sing me "Greenfields" by the Brothers Four, before I went to bed every night so that would be the one song I cherish above all others. I sing it to my children as well, but with a slight change to the arrangement...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NKsgpSmLzrM
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:09 AM

Re: Your Parents Favorite Song/Record You Grew Up With

i remember these covers laying around while i was on the floor playing with Lego...

my ears enjoyed so much such beautiful music, and i recognize the Beatles influence on my musical tastes everyday, and i thanks my parents for that. there was a lot of classical and jazz music also playing at home but i can't remember who they were...
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 AM

my mom was a big a big pink floyd fan,and also alice in chains and rush
i listen to alice in chains alot one of my favorite bands i also still listen to rush
not so much floyd anymore though,

o and also pearl jam
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 03:37 AM

Elvis Presley, I grew up with elvis presley
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 04:05 AM

My parents weren't too into music, but I DO remember that i heard (and loved) "Going Home" by Kenny G.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:00 AM

I grew up hearing stuff like The Bay City Rollers, ABBA, The Grease Soundtrack & Boney M. How the hell I didn't turn out *** is beyond me (not that there is anything wrong with that).

One song I remember hearing a lot when I was a kid was "Black Superman" (I think that's the name of it). The Muhammad Ali song... and that "Kung Fu Fighting" song.

Thank god my uncles introduced me to Sabbath, Floyd, Alice Cooper and Kiss.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:15 AM

Don't make me remember... It was awful.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:16 AM

I remember my dad staying up late learning to play Black Magic woman by Santana. To this day I have a lot of Santana influenced licks because of hearing that all night. That's one of the sounds that made me want to play.

When I was in high school I don't know why but I turned the dial to the classic rock station and just started listening to it everyday. I became a huge Zeppeling fan. And then so and and so forth with the classic rock. To be honest I missed most of the 90s music because I was so imersed in classic rock.

Other than the classic rock I heard my friends brother was a Metallica fan so I heard it all the time too. And today my guitar playing reflects all of those influences I believe.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 AM

Sha Na Na....."Good night sweetheart"....I still sing that to my daughter when I put her to bed, it's engrained into my subconscious.

Great thread
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:49 AM

My Mother was always listening to Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton. So when I got my first 8 track player (it was the size of a coffin) she only gave me one 8 track tape. Steve Miller Band Book of Dreams. Still love every song on that album.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 AM

Frank's a good guy!!

A couple come to mind for me (sorry, my parents weren't into shred)

Dad -
Johnny Horton: "We fired our guns but the british kept a coming, but there wasn't as many as there was a while ago. We fired once more and they began a runnin...along the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico" And "They Sank the Mighty Bismark" song, lol. I don't know which album it was, but both songs were on it.

Mom -
The Carpenters: "Long ago...and oh soooo far away". / "Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near" I don't know which particular album that was either.

You're right about the lasting effect. Sometimes I find myself humming or singing the lyrics and reflecting back.....

Cool idea for a thread Jeff
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 AM

My parents were not big music people. However with 2 sister and 2 older brothers, I heard alot of differnt music.

Dad: The Eagles
Mom: The Carpenters
Oldest Brother: Ted Nugent Wango Tango
Oldest Sieter: Bee Gee's Saturday Night Fever
Older Brother: Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon

Me: Ozzy Diary of a Madman / Iron Maiden Powerslave / Piece of Mind

Younger Sister: Nothing. Her taste in music is horrible.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:47 AM

Dad: Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline
Mom: Benny Goodman and Frank Sinatra
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 AM
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
My Mother used to sing me "Greenfields" by the Brothers Four, before I went to bed every night so that would be the one song I cherish above all others. I sing it to my children as well, but with a slight change to the arrangement...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NKsgpSmLzrM
Oh man, thanks for that. I had forgoten about that song. My mom use to play that too.

Tags
def leppard , gary moore , george benson , larry carlton , pearl jam , ted nugent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode