Is ATD still "the best" swirler? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Are ATD swirls still the best swirls?
Yes, ATD swirls are still the best. 18 69.23%
No, I prefer a different swirler's work. 8 30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Is ATD still "the best" swirler?

There are a lot of threads about swirls at the moment and even several about the UV77RE, but this has got me thinking...

Years ago when the original swirl guitars came out is was nigh on impossible to get your own guitar swirled, these days there are guys all over the would who are doing swirls.

Now I recognise that swirls are highly individual and so are peoples opinions about them so... My question is, are the ATD swirls still the best, or do you prefer someone else's swirls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 05:03 AM

Re: Is ATD still "the best" swirler?

I think it's subjective, but yes - Ibanez could have chosen anyone for the UVRE, and didn't need to go back to Darren, but his work (to me) is still the most vibrant.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 06:03 AM

Reviews: 34

Yes.

The reason is that he did the originals and no-one has managed to get quite the same look or depth of colours. Many of the current swirlers are very good especially some of the regular posters on Jemsite but I don't think that anyone has managed to consistently replicate what Darren did.

He is the original and the best in my opinion.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:36 AM

Reviews: 2

There are people who hate swirls. Why aren't they in the poll.

I personally think a swirl is like the voma of a donkey.

I simply don't like them.

Don't kill me, that's just personal taste.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:38 AM

Reviews: 21

Darren manages to make each swirl unique with character...something i havent seen from any other swirler!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochimaru View Post
There are people who hate swirls. Why aren't they in the poll.

I personally think a swirl is like the voma of a donkey.

I simply don't like them.

Don't kill me, that's just personal taste.
Without meaning to sound harsh, it's simply because this isn't a poll asking "if you like swirls". It's a poll asking whether people think that the ATD swirls are the best.

Last edited by jono; 09-01-2010 at 08:14 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Banned

i prefer herc fade swirl to ATD.i like 2-3 swirlers better than ATD,thats just my 2 cents on the matter.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:45 PM

Darren is the benchmark, if Ibanez went with someone else back in the day they would be the benchmark.

All swirlers are compared to Darrens work for this reason, but what many should consider is its all about individual style. Alot of ppl feel that a swirl SHOULD look like Darrens stuff, but it depends on your tastes. Some people like good definition between the individual colours, others like a more crazy blend and mix ala Darrens stuff.

Its all in the eye of the beholder. Naturally i would imagine most would prefer Darrens work as he was the one that brought swirling to the forefront.

Who did better paintings, Michelangelo or Picasso? Who made better music Pantera or Michael Jackson? Who was a better racedriver, Fangio or Senna?

Me... ill take each swirl as it comes. If it looks good ill take it regardless of name. Im not gonna go for an ATD if it looks like a hunk of shizzle, and IMO there are some crappy looking ATD swirls out there.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM

I do like ATD's swirls, but prefer "Swirled" from Germany, more detail (to my eyes and not such big swathes of colour), but its purely subjective as is any art.

http://www.swirled.de/EN/index.php
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 PM

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but an ATD that has black as a main colour is definately my cuppa tea!
The newer swirls are vivid, but too bright to my liking.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:35 PM

Imo, yes. Darren is nr 1.

I do think Al comes close, as Herc Fede does. As it is, you can't get a after market swirl from Darren, so that says it all.

I am not too impressed with the work of the other swirlers ( with a few examples out there that just kill), with all due respect.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Reviews: 37

Atd is the godfather of swirling and everything else is just a copy.
The others can look good , but they are far inferior to darrens work.
atd , herc fede , and out of this swirled are the only pros out there.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Vendor

Darren is the original, when it comes to guitars. He's a master and is the official artist for Ibanez. He has a signed agreement that only he will be allowed to swirl guitars for Ibanez [an agreement that has obviousy been broken [RG20051]]. He created the demand that allowed the others that have experimented and had enough ambition to carry the work forward, each having their own different style based on technique, but also on the specific materials they have found to work. I don't think anybody has cracked Darren process yet, and that's the way it should be. For Darren it's still a sideline, his day job keeps him busy doing shirts, and his real passion is doing union crew work for touring acts when they hit town.

I love what Baker is doing. I'd love to know if he's so good he can get that result on a single dip or if there's a few wipe offs until he gets the one he's willing to show! I like some of the individual pieces some of the others have done, and I dislike some all have done.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Is ATD still "the best" swirler?

I think the style that Out Of This Swirled gets is just beyond beautiful and are master pieces in their own rights! I'm not too much of a swirl guy, but the original UVMC, was breathtaking...since then though, not much has made me sit up and take notice until the smoothness Out Of This Swirled gets!

http://www.outofthisswirled.com/gallery.html

Last edited by DEADTUNES666; 09-01-2010 at 10:01 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 PM

Reviews: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
I think the style that Out Of This Swirled gets is just beyond beautiful and are master pieces in their own rights! I'm not too much of a swirl guy, but the original UVMC, was breathtaking...since then though, not much has made me sit up and take notice until the smoothness Out Of This Swirled gets!

http://www.outofthisswirled.com/gallery.html
you are right. and also oots is the only one you can get a pro swirl from right now and probably forever ( until i find out the secret lol).

Tags
swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode