Band members. - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Band members.

My band has drums,guitar,piano-keyboard and vocal. I don't see reason why I need second guitar and bass. What about you? What do you need in band?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: Band members.

I've been a one man show for two years now. This is more for convenience as it can be a PITA to coordinate with other players and schedules. A real good drummer is worth their weight in gold and, hence, usually draws a paycheck; which to date I am unable to provide.
It might seem lame but I rather play with a machine than work around a bad drummer. I would get a bass player first.
I'd like to have a band with a guitar player, bass player, and a guy on 'electronics', meaning a drum machine, keyboards, samples, or what-have-you.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Reviews: 11

No bass is always a bad idea. The sound loses a lot of depth and groove. As many said, bass and drums are the most important part of any band. They're like the glue of it all.

A second guitar is never nescessary but it's always nice to have. My band finds it very useful (since we're a death metal band). He will play the chunky rhythm's and I will play the leads. It works really well.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:46 PM

Reviews: 18

Drums and bass are absolutely necessary in my opinion.

In a band I'd prefer to have the least amount possible, because planning anything with more than 2 other people is a huge pain in the ass.

If we're just jamming in my house though, it's the more the merrier and I'd just fill in on drums or bass if there's no one else to do those parts because drums and bass are ESPECIALLY important while jamming to keep a rhythm/groove going while everyone else solos.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 06:45 PM

Reviews: 4

I see RUSH as doing the most with the least.... If you have less than Drums, Bass and guitar, people won't get it. Obviously this is genre specific, and there are rare exceptions - Like the doors, their keyboardist took advantage of his keyboard to fill in as bass as well since they didn't have a bass player. Also, the instrumental Djent bad Animals as Leaders uses 8 string guitars, so sonically, the guitars also occupy the bass range.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

The more musicians a band has, the more different influences and ideas its music will have.
No bass = NO THANKS.
Drums and bass are roots no matter genre/style.
Drum machine replacing a drummer = never.
Drum machine to add some electronic beats to some parts = cool.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 PM

Very rare I had good luck with band members, all my life either they were too lazy when no money was involved or too greedy when it was about money. By greedy I mean they didn't care about the music, they were "too professional" to still love music...whatever that means...

Anyway, I hope I don't offend anyone but the bass guitar has always been a band specific instrument for me. It gives depth to music by not only harmony but frequency too. besides live, in a professional recording you have to create lots of layers for a full commercial sound of vocal or guitars if there is no bass. Another nice thing is usually on stage the bass player can move around and entertain the audience very effective if his genre doesn't involve complicated movements.

With simple thought a keyboard can fill in a second guitars place but its always a plus to have another guitar player on stage. He/She can back you up if anything goes wrong+has a similar role of the bass player. Behind the stage another guitarist can really influence you musically.

In an ideal world, I'd rather ditch the vocalist
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:29 PM

I've always only had 3 piece bands: me on guitar/vocals, with a bass and drums. I'd always imagined one other person as a keyboardist/better vocalist than me. That's all I think a bad needs.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Bass+Drums,guitar,guitar,vocals.
i dont like key's at all so im happy without them.
Can do without vocals to whilst practicing. bloody singers are always in the way!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

I play music like Dredg,and bass just.. it is not just for that style of music,it's useless.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 02:20 AM

Having your second guitarist simultaneously fill another role in your band (vocals, keys, etc.) can prove REALLY nice.

They're there with a guitar when they're needed and helping out elsewhere when they're not needed, with no hard feelings!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Reviews: 13

Four piece band, 1 lead guitar, 1 rhythm + vocals, bassist, AND A GOOD DRUMMER! Working with a bad drummer is the most stressful thing ever!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:37 PM

There are about 300 guys on this island who either play guitar and sing solo or w/ one other guy (bass or guitar/uke), and then play to a midi or backing track. Granted, it's Hawaiian tunes or Hawaiian-ized Top 40, so there's not a lot to it in the first place. And they gig all the time. They also all sound the same, and practically every song sounds the same (think Bruno Mars sings the hits).

So CAN you gig with one guy? You bet. But most of these guys are background noise for restaurants and bars where people don't go to actually FOCUS on the band (despite the fact that they crank the hell out of their tiny little PAs - I won't go into Big Kahuna when they have live music - it's unbearable). If you're a BAND, and want people to come to see you play and focus on YOU, a three piece is minimal in my mind. Better with 4 - guitar/drum/vocal/bass. Otherwise it's just boring - Andre Segovia notwithstanding. A 5-piece always has a nice full sound to it, but rarely is it worth having one more guy to try to coordinate with.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Magnum View Post
Having your second guitarist simultaneously fill another role in your band (vocals, keys, etc.) can prove REALLY nice.

They're there with a guitar when they're needed and helping out elsewhere when they're not needed, with no hard feelings!
yep a rhythm guitar player that isnt a wannabe lead guitarist preferably.
for the poll I feel Bass is essential

cheers T
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Second guitarists are good to have, as they really thicken the sound.
However, that second guitarist needs to know how to play at the same level as everyone else.
Nothing more irritating than having a second guitarist that struggles. You can have a kick ass lead guitarist just shredding away, but if the rhythm guitarist is out of tune, forgot the chords, playing out of key or off tempo--it kills everything that the other musicians are doing. The audience can tell, and will automatically focus on the black sheep.

Tags
band members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode