Best hard rock and metal guitar? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Best hard rock/metal guitar besides Ibanez
ESP/LTD/Edwards 2 8.00%
Schechter 1 4.00%
B.C. Rich 1 4.00%
Gibson 5 20.00%
Jackson/Charvel 16 64.00%
Other, specify: 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Best hard rock and metal guitar?

We all love Ibanez, but what other companies?

For the heaviest of stuff, I have an ESP/LTD Viper and it gets the job done. I do like Jackson RR though and sometimes a thin taper Gibson that my friend has. Before that I liked using the "hotter" American Standard strat and teles over old school Fenders, any Gibsons, Charvel Model II, Yamaha SG, and Aria Cardinal.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-22-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 PM

Re: Best hard rock and metal guitar?

Gibson explorer..
If I need to dive bomb, charvel of some sort.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
We all love Ibanez, but what other companies?

For the heaviest of stuff, I have an ESP/LTD Viper and it gets the job done. I do like Jackson RR though and sometimes a thin taper Gibson that my friend has. Before that I liked using the "hotter" American Standard strat and teles over old school Fenders, any Gibsons, Charvel Model II, Yamaha SG, and Aria Cardinal.
You may love other companies, but because of the lack of anyone really using Ibbys over here (and the obsession with american-made guitars like Fender/Gibson) I refuse to buy any non-Ibby stuff. I like Fujigen alder-body Telecasters (mijs are relatively cheap compared to Ibanez) but I just cant bring myself to buy one because I dont want to look like everyone else in a world of Fender types over here.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 AM

funny, I gig and go to lots of rock shows here in the Twin Cites. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone from a local band playing an Ibby live..
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
funny, I gig and go to lots of rock shows here in the Twin Cites. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone from a local band playing an Ibby live..
In Japan, outside the big 2 (fender and gibson), the hard rock/metal people are all on ESPs, the punk/rock are on Fernandes. I stinking live in the home of Hoshino and there is like nothing Ibanez anywhere.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 AM

I had 2 Fernandes Ravelles,,, I'm down to 1 now, but I absolutely love it. Funny that the punkers gravitate towards that brand..
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I had 2 Fernandes Ravelles,,, I'm down to 1 now, but I absolutely love it. Funny that the punkers gravitate towards that brand..
Japanese punk is meh, but the reason is that the former guitarist of X japan, HIDE had his own signature Fernandes (they stil lsell it even though he's been dead 15 years, kinda like the Dimebag sig) and since he was such a popular punk/techno rock artist after X Japan broke up, people gravitate towards Fernandes because of him.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Japanese punk is meh, but the reason is that the former guitarist of X japan, HIDE had his own signature Fernandes (they stil lsell it even though he's been dead 15 years, kinda like the Dimebag sig) and since he was such a popular punk/techno rock artist after X Japan broke up, people gravitate towards Fernandes because of him.
is that the one that looks like a BC Rich Mockingbird?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
is that the one that looks like a BC Rich Mockingbird?
http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/k-gakki/hide/index.html

Yeah sorta does.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
In Japan, outside the big 2 (fender and gibson), the hard rock/metal people are all on ESPs, the punk/rock are on Fernandes. I stinking live in the home of Hoshino and there is like nothing Ibanez anywhere.
The metal crowd was all Ibanez and Jackson/Charvel in the '80s and '90s but now are more likely to sport ESP/LTD with help from Mustaine (back then), Slayer, Anthrax, and Metallica now. The djent crowd is all into ESP, too.

I have seen more Epis with punk crowd and the trusty strat, SG, and Les Paul Junior are also pretty well represented. I don't really see the flamed maple top Les Pauls or higher end Fender strats in that crowd. I have never seen a Fernandes with punk bands here and only Kirk Hammett played his Edna Fernandes a lot in the old days of Metallica before favoring ESP MII superstrats.

Ibanez has lost ground to the more affordable LTD brand and the super affordable, yet great Schechters. For under $700, you often get a Schechter with Prestige series type necks. Also 1000 series LTDs are technically as good as most Ibanez Prestige guitars and have top of the line EMGs, TonePros, and ebony fretboards.

If price was no barrier, then yeah I would get an Ibanez Prestige any day but you can get a great guitar in the more affordable American Standard strat, Gibson Les Paul Studio and Tribute lines, LTD 1000 series guitars, and all Schechters.

The once common MIJ Ibanez has fallen off the map when it comes to a working musician's budget and we have to face it. I will take a Made in Korea LTD or Schechter with EMGs or Duncans and ebony fretboard and abalone inlays over any Prestige at double the price point. How is a Prestige Z model with EMG 81 going to sound any different than an LTD M-1000 with EMG 81? How is the ebony board and jumbo frets of the Prestige going to be any different than the LTD or Schechter with jumbo frets and equally black ebony fretboard both bought from the same supplier (...likely Taylor Guitars)? Heck even Fender USA can come up with HSS strat and jumbo frets at half the price of an Ibby Prestige and if it's a FSR one year deal may even offer up that EMG 81, too. Through your Marshall, vintage reissue Fender combo, or even small solid state practice amp, that EMG 81 will sound exactly the same regardless of which of those guitars you put through it. The Prestige will have Edge trem, Fender and LTD the Floyd Rose, but all ebony boarded necks will be on similar contour hard maple neck bolted onto a solid basswood, alder, or ash body. Pots will be full size, wiring the same in quality, and the result will be a fast and heavy sounding metal monster. I think with this knowledge gotten from years of us A/Bing all the gear, the Ibanez Prestige loses out. Anymore, getting an Ibanez Prestige, or similarly priced Anderson is all about bling and bragging rights but not necessarily a better guitar.

However, this is nice but still off my wallet's target even at $600 off:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/ima...U_Body_Top.jpg

www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-Prestige-S5427-Series-7-String-Electric-Guitar-108591652-i2824648.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&kwid=productads-plaid^32411555561-sku^[email protected]^PLA-device^c-adid^18055315361

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-23-2013 at 11:35 AM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Jackson/Charvel is way out ahead. I first heard of them via RR model and ironically when I use Jackson, that's the one I pick up. I wonder why Ibanez never made a serious attempt at an RR model. ESP certainly made a few good RR types over the years that took off.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Jackson/Charvel is way out ahead. I first heard of them via RR model and ironically when I use Jackson, that's the one I pick up. I wonder why Ibanez never made a serious attempt at an RR model. ESP certainly made a few good RR types over the years that took off.
Ibanez did make an RR..or is that not serious enuff?

Last edited by GUITARMAGEDDON; 05-24-2013 at 07:58 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ibanez did make an RR..or is that not serious enuff?
Is that for real, or did somebody put a sticker on that? ... or Dragonforce!:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sta...-ibanez-v.html

It would have been nice for Ibanez to have purchased someone like Jackson, Charvel, Kramer, or Hamer. Right now, Fender Musical Instruments has the full run of the musical instruments industry but they are smart in keeping their huge catalog of companies separate.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 05-24-2013 at 11:34 AM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
The metal crowd was all Ibanez and Jackson/Charvel in the '80s and '90s but now are more likely to sport ESP/LTD with help from Mustaine (back then), Slayer, Anthrax, and Metallica now. The djent crowd is all into ESP, too.

I have seen more Epis with punk crowd and the trusty strat, SG, and Les Paul Junior are also pretty well represented. I don't really see the flamed maple top Les Pauls or higher end Fender strats in that crowd. I have never seen a Fernandes with punk bands here and only Kirk Hammett played his Edna Fernandes a lot in the old days of Metallica before favoring ESP MII superstrats.

Ibanez has lost ground to the more affordable LTD brand and the super affordable, yet great Schechters. For under $700, you often get a Schechter with Prestige series type necks. Also 1000 series LTDs are technically as good as most Ibanez Prestige guitars and have top of the line EMGs, TonePros, and ebony fretboards.

If price was no barrier, then yeah I would get an Ibanez Prestige any day but you can get a great guitar in the more affordable American Standard strat, Gibson Les Paul Studio and Tribute lines, LTD 1000 series guitars, and all Schechters.

The once common MIJ Ibanez has fallen off the map when it comes to a working musician's budget and we have to face it. I will take a Made in Korea LTD or Schechter with EMGs or Duncans and ebony fretboard and abalone inlays over any Prestige at double the price point. How is a Prestige Z model with EMG 81 going to sound any different than an LTD M-1000 with EMG 81? How is the ebony board and jumbo frets of the Prestige going to be any different than the LTD or Schechter with jumbo frets and equally black ebony fretboard both bought from the same supplier (...likely Taylor Guitars)? Heck even Fender USA can come up with HSS strat and jumbo frets at half the price of an Ibby Prestige and if it's a FSR one year deal may even offer up that EMG 81, too. Through your Marshall, vintage reissue Fender combo, or even small solid state practice amp, that EMG 81 will sound exactly the same regardless of which of those guitars you put through it. The Prestige will have Edge trem, Fender and LTD the Floyd Rose, but all ebony boarded necks will be on similar contour hard maple neck bolted onto a solid basswood, alder, or ash body. Pots will be full size, wiring the same in quality, and the result will be a fast and heavy sounding metal monster. I think with this knowledge gotten from years of us A/Bing all the gear, the Ibanez Prestige loses out. Anymore, getting an Ibanez Prestige, or similarly priced Anderson is all about bling and bragging rights but not necessarily a better guitar.

However, this is nice but still off my wallet's target even at $600 off:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/ima...U_Body_Top.jpg

www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-Prestige-S5427-Series-7-String-Electric-Guitar-108591652-i2824648.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&kwid=productads-plaid^32411555561-sku^[email protected]^PLA-device^c-adid^18055315361
Now that the Indos are starting to have better quality than the MIK ones from a few years ago, Ibanez still has a chance to catch up. With them releasing premium models of the JEM, Satch, and Andy Timmons models, they have managed to make owning a signature a little bit cheaper, especially in the case of Vai, because he is the bread and butter of Ibby. We'll see how that changes with Kiko Loureiro joining Ibanez this year though, because even over here in Japan, Kiko is incredibly popular among the metal crowd so it might just put a little more support in the Japanese market. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Personally though, I've tried out other brands (ESP MII was required as Timo Tolkki used to use a custom MII when he was in stratovarius) but I just didnt like the feel of it. Something about Ibbys are just worth the extra money. I dont know what it is though.

I DO like the Fujigen Telecasters though. I tried out an alder body Fuji Tele a month or so ago, AMAZING sound. 700 USD roughly for a MIJ Fujigen. That's a guitar that's totally on my radar at some point in the future (I just bought an RG2550ZGW so I'm strapped for cash for awhile lol)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 11:04 AM

Reviews: 11

Gibson Explorers. They're not the best, but they're fu*king awesome for that fat, chunky Death Metal tone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode