Death Metal - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Death Metal

Do you like it? Or do your ears bleed at the very though of a furry blue man with cookies?

This place seems to have a mixed opinion about this. We will see. Your age included would be nice, too.

PS This is the last poll I'm making for a long time, I swear
lol, forgot the poll itself X|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:55 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Death Metal

"RARRRRRRRRWARAORAAORPARAROWORROWO

RARARARAMAOOORORORORMASROOOCMOSDNSDOJOO"

That was me expressing how I feel about death-metal in a death-metal style. Hope you understood it

I'm 17 btw.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 PM

Reviews: 12

... sure, been listening to it since the early 90s [i am now 30] though i haven't been able to listen a whole album without getting a headache nowadays :P
I kinda gotten over the fact @10 years ago [around the same time Korn, Slipknot and similar nu-metal bands were getting big] most DM bands were not really pushing the "sound" any further but focused on "going faster, stronger, harder..." blah blah blah. It's mainly attributed to this "keep it underground" mentality which i still have a hard time understanding to this day...
More so, I was heavily into the local scene and gotten over it cause:
a) you end up running into the same people... and you start to notice that everybody else is not eligible to legally drink :P
b) people who are all about death metal [or any sub-sect or similar genre] only know bands within said genre; everything else is moot. Even if the band is Opeth per-se, who's influenced by early death metal bands, is out of the radar cause "it's not heavy enough" or "too much clean singing."
c) the opposite viewpoint is when a "metal" band is doing something very heavy and technical yet it's not death metal by any 'standard' e.g. Meshuggah is not death metal [nor do i consider 'em as one] but some people [within the scene] see them in same category as Korn or Slipknot - "sellouts".
d) in a city like LA, death metal bands [or any underground metal band in general] play in the least likable venues e.g. a dive bar, a hole-in-a-wall club, or someone's backyard... not the best place to be carrying a high-end guitar/rig. If you're a touring band from LA however, you get to play the big venues...

otherwise, most of my friends are connected to that scene, one way or another, but i chose to "do my own thing" since playing metal gigs isn't a paying job, unless you're Dethklok lol
i still listen to my dm albums... except the bands i listen to are at least 10 years old [or have been around for that long]...

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 02-23-2010 at 07:24 PM.
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 PM

One of my favorite death metal bands is Gutworm and I'm 28, not fat, short hair with a respectable job.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM

My criteria for death metal:

-not melodic DM
-simultaneously ferocious, musical, purposeful, and emotional
-absolutely positively no breakdowns
-no high-pitched, inhaled vocals
-must have blast beats
-no diminished 7 arpeggios back to back. (the lamest excuse for technical death metal)
-no "djent"
-influenes that don't include The faceless, Job for a Cowboy, Veil of Maya, Whitechapel, etc.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:12 PM

Reviews: 1

Probot!!!!!
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post

-not melodic DM
-simultaneously ferocious, musical, purposeful, and emotional
-absolutely positively no breakdowns
-no high-pitched, inhaled vocals
-must have blast beats
-no diminished 7 arpeggios back to back. (the lamest excuse for technical death metal)
-no "djent"
-influenes that don't include The faceless, Job for a Cowboy, Veil of Maya, Whitechapel, etc.
What's wrong with the faceless? Other then "they're new"?

I guess this is for bands that use death vocals, considering by your standards 80% of those bands aren't death metal.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Muffin View Post
What's wrong with the faceless? Other then "they're new"?

I guess this is for bands that use death vocals, considering by your standards 80% of those bands aren't death metal.
Deathcore is a pathetic form of Death Metal
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Muffin View Post
Do you like it?
It serves no useful purpose that I can think of. Pure garbage IMO.

I went to Gigantour a couple years ago just to catch Megadeth, and had to sit through a bunch of opening acts like "Job for a cowboy". It was dreadful.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:19 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
...bunch of opening acts like "Job for a cowboy". It was dreadful.
Of course it was dreadful, Job for a Cowboy is Deathcore which is dreadful. But I like death metal. My fav band is Death.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post

How can you group The Faceless with these bands? I've been a metal/death metal fan for longer than I can remember. I really love Planetary Duality, if you haven't listen to that cd beggining to end, you can't really say you've heard The Faceless at their best. As for the other three "bands", call them what you want, but at least don't group The Faceless with them.
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersnowgone View Post
How can you group The Faceless with these bands?
One of their songs has about an entire line of clean singing, only the lead guitarist has long hair, and one of them is black. That is like the opposite of TRUE death metal, man
Also, wikipedia says they're deathcore, so there you go. Personally I don't understand what so many people find so repulsing by metalcore (and by extension metalcore, but I digress).

Genre divisions are probably the most baffling thing in heavy metal, there's a new subdivision for every second band. You could call Children of Bodom Blackened Neo-powerspeed melodic death thrash metal but that wouldn't change the fact that they're a heavy metal band, same with Metallica, Death, The faceless, Job for a Cowboy, Judas priest, dragonforce, Suicide Silence, the Devil Wears Prada, so on and so forth. Whether or not you like the band is up to you to decide for the reasons you decide, but just because you don't like a few of them doesn't mean you should make up a new genre just to throw the heap of bands you don't like to avoid tainting your own 'pure' collection.

PS, what the hell is djent?
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:04 AM

Nothing wrong with The Faceless really, I just think they have horribly written riffs/songs that try way too hard to be fusion. My opinion of course. Some people eat it up, I think it sounds flat out stupid.

Death metal for me is Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Immolation, Krisiun, etc. I enjoy technical death metal when done tastefully, like Origin, Spawn of Procession, and Obscura, but most of these new bands are just ****ing off to diminished 7 arpeggio sweeps with a huge scale bass.

I also wanna add to my list:
-must not have neon colors on their shirts.
-must not have a phrase exceeding 4 words as their name (3 is really pushing it)
-musicians must not jump while on stage
-must not say "if anyone falls, pick them up" before commanding a mosh. (not that I want to see people trampled, its just *** to say)
-must not use a 6505 with vader cab, and an LTD. (Usually the Eclipse)
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 AM

Too many names for Metal nowadays. There should be 2 kinds. Metal you like and metal you don't. That being said, some is good and some is not.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:42 AM

Reviews: 25

I'm a little confused as to what death metal is.. I really love melody but I love heavy guitar also.. So I will list the music I like and you guys tell me if Im even close to death metal...

Im 34 so I not up to date with the latest of Metal, just what comes my way and what I like...

Here is what im currently listening to...

ISIS
Five Finger Death Punch
Testament
Disturbed
Trivium

Anyways I have respect for all types of music, no matter if I like it or not... So Can someone suggest the current best Death metal Band thats out at the moment ... So I can have listen and see if I like it or not !!

Cheers !!

Tags
chugging , death , metal , screaming , sweeping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode