DiMarzio/IBZ Pickups? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Your rating for DiMarzio/IBZ pups?
Excellent 26 25.74%
Good 38 37.62%
Average 26 25.74%
Below Par 8 7.92%
Poor 3 2.97%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

DiMarzio/IBZ Pickups?

DiMarzio/IBZ pickups! Made in the DiMarzio factory but there has been some controversy of late surrounding the quality of these pickups. Are they as good as 'Original' DiMarzio pups? Vote here and post your thoughts on these pickups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: DiMarzio/IBZ Pickups?

I think they're fine pickups, but as with all Dimarzios made in the same factory, it's a preference issue not a quality issue really.

I love the Evo, but don't get on with the Tone Zone. It doesn't mean it's a bad pickup.

I think the DiMarzio IBZs are great quality pickups but lack any specific character to them, giving them a very generic sound. People equate that ubiquitous sound with low quality.

The ones I've tried (I don't own a guitar with them) have been hum free and non-microphonic. Thus high quality pickups I guess, just not to my tastes.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Banned

i voted poor and thats a compliment shame the poll didnt have complete waste of space cos thats what they are.each to his own but i thought they were very weak.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
i voted poor and thats a compliment shame the poll didnt have complete waste of space cos thats what they are.each to his own but i thought they were very weak.

weak as in low output? Or...?
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
weak as in low output? Or...?
yes low output mate,poor for pinch harmonics especially on e,a,d strings.these pups just didnt do it for me,just not my cuppa,each to there own though.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna rate them as average. I would rate some 'original' DiMarzio's as average as well. I think people have a preconceived opinion on these and it boils down to the IBZ on the logo. They certainly aren't in the Bareknuckle league but they aren't the worst I've ever heard either so I'll try to be as constructive as I can with my vote of average.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 PM

I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

I have a Japanese market RG2770FMTB with these pups. For my use, which runs the gamut from Louisiana blues to screaming leads a la Vai, they're perfectly adequate. I've done studio work with the guitar, played live gigs with it, etc... never heard a complaint yet from my producers, sound managers, and bandmates. The DM/IBZ pups work extremely well with either my rack-mounted tube processor (which has triple 12AX7's in an early 90's Digitech TwinTube GFX1) or my more portable Line6 Spider II 120. I can dial in just about any sound I need with either rig.

If you find them weak, I'd (A) look into learning how to better employ the presets/sounds in your outboard gear, or (B) take a good look at what processing you're utilizing to generate your sound. In my not-so-humble opinion, nine times out of ten, I'd bet its a guitarist's gear, not the pickups in the guitar, that limits a guitar's sonic capabilities.

-R
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 PM

Average. Theyre still stock.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:56 PM

before replace the pickups was like fender :\ now like ibanez ;p
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 10:04 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: DiMarzio/IBZ Pickups?

They are excellent for what they are, which is a stock pickup! I prefer their sound to other more expensive ones...which I just do not like at all...I am of course stuck in my place with that Dimarzio type sound which I am very comfortable with. Best stock pickups out there!!!
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
They certainly aren't in the Bareknuckle league but they aren't the worst I've ever heard either so.
What one rung on the ladder below DiMarzio?

In all seriousness though, I think Bareknuckle make great pickups, but I don't think they sound as cool as some of the DiMarzios out there... But that's aother thread for another day
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
What one rung on the ladder below DiMarzio?

In all seriousness though, I think Bareknuckle make great pickups, but I don't think they sound as cool as some of the DiMarzios out there... But that's aother thread for another day
Ha! Ha! Yeah it may be a thread for another day mate. I'm sure DiMarzio would run away with a 'Best Pickup Manufacturer' poll on here. Tone is a very subjective thing and the debate over it will run on for ever. For me BK's are a touch above. Having said that I love my DiMarzio pups. It's very close.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Tone is a very subjective thing and the debate over it will run on for ever.
Absolutely

And everybody has their own faves, because everyone has their own ears
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:52 PM

Reviews: 21

Guys.
I think this is like arguing which flavor of pudding is best. Believe it or not, there are some people out there who really like the sound of stock INF pickups. Or the V8. Some people like l-500s. Others like EMGs. Some like SD Invaders or JB's. Or BKs.
It's all a matter of preference.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 12:24 AM

I had them on my 2570 and didnt mind them but they are a tad weak.

Tags
dimarzio/ibz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in