Do you think Jeff Beck is overrated? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Do you think Jeff Beck is overrated?
yes 5 16.13%
no 26 83.87%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Do you think Jeff Beck is overrated?

I have to do this poll based off the statement made by someone on the "most overrated guitarist" poll. I want to see what others think on this...
I vote NO WAY is he overrated. In my opinion,Jeff Beck has the best hands/feel ever, (followed by EVH). He doesn't shred, he doesn't have to. He is BY FAR the most economic guitarist of all time in fusion/rock. JB has excellent note placement, melodies, phrasing, feel....
His album Wired made me play and approach the guitar much differently. If I were a music teacher/instructor for the kind of music most of us like, JB Wired and JB guitar Shop would be mandatory.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Do you think Jeff Beck is overrated?

I don't like his playing at all.
I can stand that phrase he plays in that Rod Stewart song, I think it's called People Get Read, that's all, even though I don't like that song too.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Reviews: 2

Guitar Shop is one of my favorite albums
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Vendor

Beck is a stud. Don't think he can't shred, he can shred with the best of them. But he's far more creative and melodic than most of them. The only time I got to see him was when he did the Les Paul honor tour, and if you have no appreciation for the players of the 40's and 50's then you need to listen to some of them.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:19 PM

He is awesome, and most definitely a virtuoso type player (if that's what you mean by shred). I can see how his playing doesn't have mass appeal though, it's a little too challenging to listen to for some. Guitar Shop changed they way I think of the guitar.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned

AGAIN = Some people really need to learn to respect different opinions.
If someone disagree to their opinions, that person is dumb, or have bad tastes or never had enough of that artist etc.
DUDE, I like what I like and I dislike what I dislike no matter what people/magazines /radio etc say.
Stop pushing your opinions case they're not facts, we all have our own tastes, if you can't respect that, a forum is not a place for you, you should live alone with your amazing opinions.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:55 PM

Is this aimed at anyone in particular or just a random rant? I didn't read anyone telling you you were wrong to have the opinion you do. You don't like Beck, fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
AGAIN = Some people really need to learn to respect different opinions.
If someone disagree to their opinions, that person is dumb, or have bad tastes or never had enough of that artist etc.
DUDE, I like what I like and I dislike what I dislike no matter what people/magazines /radio etc say.
Stop pushing your opinions case they're not facts, we all have our own tastes, if you can't respect that, a forum is not a place for you, you should live alone with your amazing opinions.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
Is this aimed at anyone in particular or just a random rant? I didn't read anyone telling you you were wrong to have the opinion you do. You don't like Beck, fair enough.
It's not a rant, just my opinion.
To those who can't respect/accept different opinions.
If you didn't read anyone telling me(or anybody with a different opinion) are wrong becase our opinions are different, you shold read more.
Things like......Oh you don't like this or that player BECAUSE you never listened to him properly, or you can't understand what he plays etc etc = saying my(our) tastes are wrong and I(we) know nothing about what I'm(we're) talking about.
If you can't read that, I can't help, you'll understand only when someone do that to you.
I don't freaking care about strangers tastes, I respect them all, if they like Beck = awesome, if they hate him = awesome.
Again NO RANT, just an opinion.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The only time I got to see him was when he did the Les Paul honor tour
I saw him with Jennifer Batten back in the 90s here in nashville at the Ryman....
You wouldn't believe how good that show sounded...
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 05:35 PM

airblower,,,, i just listen to his record blow by blow! i say wow!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's not a rant, just my opinion.
To those who can't respect/accept different opinions.
If you didn't read anyone telling me(or anybody with a different opinion) are wrong becase our opinions are different, you shold read more.
Things like......Oh you don't like this or that player BECAUSE you never listened to him properly, or you can't understand what he plays etc etc = saying my(our) tastes are wrong and I(we) know nothing about what I'm(we're) talking about.
If you can't read that, I can't help, you'll understand only when someone do that to you.
I don't freaking care about strangers tastes, I respect them all, if they like Beck = awesome, if they hate him = awesome.
Again NO RANT, just an opinion.
I respect your opinion or anyones but dang man you are very edgy in most of your responses on this site...and as to his playing on people get ready, (not read), I AGREE its not his best work but have you ever listened to Wired or Guitar Shop? if not, If you have never listened to anything more than what he's played on the radio than that's not a fair assessment of his playing to me, if someone takes time to listen to a players best work he has a better understanding of weather he likes them or not. Imagine if the ony Vai song you ever heard was Junkie or There's Something Dead In Here, what would you think? Then you hear with the thought of ("it's aganist my better judgement because I don't like his playing at all"),based on what you have heard, you then hear Passion And Warfare......'bet you would change your mind....
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
I respect your opinion or anyones but dang man you are very edgy in most of your responses on this site...and as to his playing on people get ready, (not read), I AGREE its not his best work but have you ever listened to Wired or Guitar Shop? if not, If you have never listened to anything more than what he's played on the radio than that's not a fair assessment of his playing to me, if someone takes time to listen to a players best work he has a better understanding of weather he likes them or not. Imagine if the ony Vai song you ever heard was Junkie or There's Something Dead In Here, what would you think? Then you hear with the thought of ("it's aganist my better judgement because I don't like his playing at all"),based on what you have heard, you then hear Passion And Warfare......'bet you would change your mind....
I'm edgy about my personal experiences and not about people different tastes, I defend my experiences BUT I respect everybody's opinions, I don't care whatever people like or dislike, that's their opinion.
Why you keep talking like if you had a crystal ball and knew what I listened or not?
I'm playing guitar since the 80's so I bet I listened much more from Beck than you.Why can't you accept I don't like him?That's my taste, respect it cause I'm not asking you to change yours, I respect your tastes.
If you like him, good for you....I mean good for Beck
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 07:38 PM

http://youtu.be/LJqrNAkndd0

done without a susatainor nor a floyd rose. Nuff Said
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM

Reviews: 21

I grew up listening to EVH, Paul Gilbert, Satch, and Vai. I dreamed of being a great guitar player while listening to "Flying in a Blue Dream", "Fair Warning", and "Passion and Warfare".
It wasn't until I listened to "Wired" several years ago that I decided to go all-in on the solo instrumental artist thing. I had heard "People Get Ready" back when it was on MTV and liked "Guitar Shop", but there was nothing like the great three of "Wired", "Blow By Blow", and "There And Back". Beck is an amazing artist with amazing feel. His songs are not just incredible guitar pieces; they're great songs in their own right. Beck also seems to stay fresh and, unlike his contemporaries, doesn't cling to the "classic" mode of rock. "You Had It Coming" and "Jeff" are current, relevant, and exciting. He doesn't seem to crank out a cliche record or mail in a performance. And I have to say "Bulgaria" is probably one of the most beautiful and haunting pieces of music I've ever heard.
So, yeah, overrated? Nowhere even close!
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm playing guitar since the 80's so I bet I listened much more from Beck than you.
Wow...really??...LOL
When does how long a someone's been playing guitar mean they have listened to an artist longer than someone else? If your going to reply to me, please make sure you have a valid argument.....
I have been playing from about '86-'87 and play at a high level (satch, vai, gilbert, malmsteen) so what...........? Now everyone that has cheaper gear than me or has only been playing for 10 yrs and not 17 yrs like myself makes me an authority on guitar players?? That's stupid...
Again, I TOTALLY respect your opinion, as well as others.You just happened to bring up the most JB radio played tune(which doesn't showcase his best playing) and that's why I suggested JB Wired and Guitar Shop because **excuse me*** I thought you might want to check out his better performances....sorry!! Sometimes people start to like an artist because they haven't heard their best stuff yet..I was trying to be cool about it.
Also, I wanted to let you know MY OPINION about how I notice you respond at level 7 on the 1-10 smart a$$ meter for no reason to a lot of threads, even the mods have to tell you to keep it down when someone asks a simple question as I did in this poll....
Yet I get child like/smart a$$ response....
Quote:
I'm playing guitar since the 80's so I bet I listened much more from Beck than you.
or
Quote:
Why you keep talking like if you had a crystal ball and knew what I listened or not?
I'm not knocking you because you don't like him...

***If you want to keep replying to me that's cool, but just know that I'm not getting baited into getting "a vacation" or banned.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode