Does Ibanez Make Sense For The Non-Shredder? - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: To Shred Or Not To Shred
I am primarily interested in shredding with my Ibanez 45 34.62%
I don't shred but appreciate my Ibanez for being a fine rock guitar 80 61.54%
What's shredding? 5 3.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Does Ibanez Make Sense For The Non-Shredder?

I realize I'm probably in the minority on this site when it comes to playing style but I'm curious if there are any Ibanez owners, preferably experienced players, who don't shred yet wanted a guitar with a good trem that didn't cost $2000 - $3000 so they bought Ibanez. My guitars, PRS Custom 24, Fender USA Deluxe Strat, Dean USA hardtail, are great guitars but I wanted a guitar that could handle the Van Halen type dive bombs and other 80's rock. Thats why I bought an Ibanez RG3120. Mahogany body with maple cap works for me, love the Edge Pro trem, plays like cutting soft butter, pickups are too hot for me but thats an easy change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Does Ibanez Make Sense For The Non-Shredder?

Well the thing about Shreddy guitars is that, in theory, They're just built to high performance standards so that you can play really crazy fast stuff on them. That also makes it easier to play anything else.

I think Ibanez makes lots of sense for non-shredders. They also make lots of guitars that most shredders would never buy.

As a related aside:
Marty Friedman switched from Jackson to Ibanez because (paraphrased):
Even though he though(and still thinks) Jackson makes the best guitars for playing metal he was playing all kinds of stuff and he thinks that Ibanez makes the most versatile guitar. You can play anything them and it's easy and sounds good.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:31 AM

hmmmmm.....i have not a guitar JUST for shreddin

music isn't only shred dude.....but i choose ibby cause:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
You can play anything them and it's easy and sounds good.
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

guitars models aren't stuck to musical genres,I mean you can play jazz with rg 8 strings and you can play metal with a fender strato,it all depends on which pups you're using,nothing more.
I already saw in a wedding part a guy playing Mambo with a jem.
There are hundreds of players in my country who play bossa-nova and samba with rgs.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
guitars models aren't stuck to musical genres,I mean you can play jazz with rg 8 strings and you can play metal with a fender strato,it all depends on which pups you're using,nothing more.
It helps to have the right amp and effects. It's hard to play thrash straight into a clean Fender twin
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I understand that a guitar can be used across different genres, I do it myself all the time. From my experience when someone finds that you play an Ibanez they either think cheap beginner guitar or that I should be a shredder. Pretty much the same for Jackson too. Granted, many of these people are just not educated on the guitar and only see kids in guitar center abusing the instruments or see the ads for $200-$300 guitars. These are only my experiences and probably not surprising since I'm an old player. A lot of players my age just can't grasp that there are good guitars worth owning out there that don't say either Gibson or Fender.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
It helps to have the right amp and effects. It's hard to play thrash straight into a clean Fender twin
What comes after a guitar belongs to another topic like Can I play thrash metal with a fender amp?
This one is only about guitars.
Like I said any guitar can play any musical genre unless you want to play an 8 strings song in a 6 strings guitar,that would be a physical issue.

Last edited by 6fingers; 11-22-2009 at 12:15 PM.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:02 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Slaughter View Post
I understand that a guitar can be used across different genres, I do it myself all the time. From my experience when someone finds that you play an Ibanez they either think cheap beginner guitar or that I should be a shredder. Pretty much the same for Jackson too. Granted, many of these people are just not educated on the guitar and only see kids in guitar center abusing the instruments or see the ads for $200-$300 guitars. These are only my experiences and probably not surprising since I'm an old player. A lot of players my age just can't grasp that there are good guitars worth owning out there that don't say either Gibson or Fender.
One of my co-workers is constantly telling me how Made in America Telecasters are so superior to Ibanez guitars. I always ask him if he's ever played a Made in Japan Ibanez. He always says no.

I'm like, then how can you compare? Sure your $5000 Tele plays better than the $500 RG. But why would you even have that opinion if you've never tried it? I just don't understand people.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
One of my co-workers is constantly telling me how Made in America Telecasters are so superior to Ibanez guitars. I always ask him if he's ever played a Made in Japan Ibanez. He always says no.
I just don't understand people.
Not people,DUMB people lol
Who judges a guitar without even have touched it is.................dumb lol

I've never played fenders and gibsons cause to me they're all ugly so I cannot judge them about their quality.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What comes after a guitar belongs to another topic like Can I play thrash metal with a fender amp?
Like I said any guitar can play any musical genre unless you want to play an 8 strings song in a 6 strings guitar,that would be a physical issue.
Nah, I think you're missing the point.

If you've got weak pickups and a red hot amp you can play thrash. If you've got red hot pickups and a great amp to keep things clean, you can play Hank Marvin.

For elctric guitars it's ALWAYS about the whole rig.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nah, I think you're missing the point.

If you've got weak pickups and a red hot amp you can play thrash. If you've got red hot pickups and a great amp to keep things clean, you can play Hank Marvin.

For electric guitars it's ALWAYS about the whole rig.

Edit : I just got YOUR point - LMAO, sorry bro' I missed your point, not you missing mine - yeah the notes are the same, it's only the sound we hear that is different
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
For elctric guitars it's ALWAYS about the whole rig.

I can play any style with any guitar or any amp.
I can play thrash with a strato ,a trash metal pedal and a fender.
I can play classical music with 8 strings and a rectifier.
The point is no guitar is stuck to a style.
If you decided to play thrash metal of course you will buy amps and effects which suit better that style BUT any guitar could play heavy metal even with low gain single pups cause if it'll sound good or bad depends on who is playing.
Of course you can't play thrash with a guitar straight into a fender that's why this thread is about what a guitar can plays and not what gear you should buy to fit this or that style
Not?
Well I''ll keep with any guitar can play any style cause you can shredd or just play chords in any guitar.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

See my edit above
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
See my edit above
bwahahahahahaah

man that was funny,I was starting to think I'm crazy cause like you said notes are the same in all guitars!
Thanks for some laughings in a rainny and dark brazilian sunday !
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 03:50 PM

Jono is correct.

I've been playing Jems, UV's, Jacksons and Charvels in my Classic Rock band for years cause I thought I had to use those to pull it off - I think every guitarist goes through this stage.

I've discovered I can play almost ANY guitar for ANY style of music.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode