Fastest Player. - Page 6 - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Fastest Guitar Player.
Steve Vai 46 16.14%
Joe Satriani 11 3.86%
Yngwie Malsteen 81 28.42%
Kirk Hammet 5 1.75%
John Petrucci 36 12.63%
Al Di Meola 16 5.61%
Michael Angelo 90 31.58%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 241 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 05:32 PM

...on a slight tangent - Has anyone seen the Metallica vids that were fimed during the 'Black album' recording & tour.

The is some footage of Kirk Hamster playing along to a cd in a hotel room - jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus - It's soooooooo embarrassingly bad.....

I agree with the above - Guthrie is obviously a superb player, but I don't think it's that easy to rid the label of 'Guitar Columnist', although it's easy to go the other way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 241 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 06:59 AM

I've got a CD excerpt of Guthrie doing Metal licks on a Gibson 335. He's good!
post #78 of 241 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjunky
I was absolutely flawed...
Sometimes, it's just too easy.

Rusty Cooley. Michael Harrison (If I'm remembering the name right) is pretty speedy as well, but Cooley plays faster than anyone else I've ever heard, while playing lines that I can't even play slow... His 4-note per string pentatonic licks???!!! And I quote...

Code:
|-------------------------------------------------------------12h15h17h20t22t24p22-|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------12h14h17h19----------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------12h15h17h19----------------------------------|
|---------5h8h10h12p10p8p5/8h10h12h15----------------------------------------------|
|-1h3h5h8--------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
etc.
I've NEVER seen anyone else pull off anything remotely close to that at even near that speed, and I've seen some incredible players either onvideo or in person...

And the worst of it is, I guess he's a pretty chill guy, too, if a little hyperactive. Some people have all the luck.

-Drew
post #79 of 241 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 09:22 PM

i think....

u should put Rusty Cooley in this poll
post #80 of 241 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 01:41 PM

Yngwie is fast,,, but Michael Angelo check out his old stuff! The guy is a freak! Now he has a mullit,,, but I bet he's every bit as fast however.

~A
post #81 of 241 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 02:12 PM

Allan Holdsworth anyone?

Or John Sykes?
post #82 of 241 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 02:13 PM

Allan Holdsworth anyone?

Or John Sykes?
post #83 of 241 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 03:31 AM

nah...rusty cooley IS
post #84 of 241 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 12:53 PM

I'll still take Shawn Lane.
Evidence

Alden
post #85 of 241 (permalink) Old 06-28-2003, 06:49 PM

hmm, sounds horrible.

its fast yeah but i recon its because of the echo and he really isnt playing as fast as some others do.

i think that vai is the only player to actually sound good whilst playing fast, and to be honest thats what really matters.
post #86 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 02:30 AM

Yeah, Jason Becker is just awful playing fast, pfft. ( sarcasm ) If you think Vai is the only player who sounds good while playing fast, you have heard a severely limited number of guitar players. Broaden your collection!
post #87 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 11:37 PM

In Shawn Lane's defense, he doesn't play that fast all the time. He is actually very tasteful and has a great melodic sense, not to mention inhuman chops. Some "shredder" types play very fast, but only play simple scale and arpeggio forms. Lane plays crazy fingerings, wild fusion scales at lightning speed and makes it look easy. I think that clip was just him showing off or something, that's not how his actual playing sounds. He's definately up there with the fastest. Not that speed is all that important, but that's another discussion entirely.

Also, i'm surprised there's only been one vote for Buckethead. Have you guys seen his four-fingered tapping stuff? Somebody please post a video or something, it's insane!
post #88 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 11:16 AM
EyE

Reviews: 1
It's nice if you can play fast but it's not the important thing in playing.
Al Di Meola, Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker, Steve Vai, Tony Macalpine,
Joe Satriani, Allan Hollsworth, Yngwie Malmsteen or John Sykes.
They all heve speed in there ownway.
post #89 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 01:25 PM

Bah!!!! All these guitar players are slow. I heard this Chinese chick playing one of those chinese lutes once on a radio station. She can finger pick faster than any guitarist with a pick I've ever heard. She wasn't using any distortion or compression either
post #90 of 241 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 09:18 PM

that shawn lane demo made me feel physicaly ill. It's so pointless.

Something I have firm belief in is that compositional skills are by far the most important. If you write something, you can always have it played, but if you can play you cannot always compose.
Being able to play an instrument (or a number of instruments) opens your eyes to what can be played by them, what techniques and what sounds can be used.

Tags
acoustic guitar , allan holdsworth , angelo batio , billy sheehan , bogner uberschall , crystal planet , eric clapton , eric johnson , frank gambale , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar shop , guitar tech , guthrie govan , jason becker , jeff beck , jimmy page , joe satriani , joe stump , john mclaughlin , john petrucci , john sykes , kirk hammet , mark knopfler , michael angelo batio , michael lee , michael lee firkins , michael romeo , paul gilbert , picking technique , playing guitar , ray vaughan , rob balducci , ron thal , rusty cooley , shawn lane , steel strings , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , string skipping , tony macalpine , uli jon roth , van halen , vernon reid , vinnie moore , yngwie malmsteen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode