Fastest Player. - Jemsite
Polls Create forum Polls here or vote in existing polls.

View Poll Results: Fastest Guitar Player.
Steve Vai 46 16.14%
Joe Satriani 11 3.86%
Yngwie Malsteen 81 28.42%
Kirk Hammet 5 1.75%
John Petrucci 36 12.63%
Al Di Meola 16 5.61%
Michael Angelo 90 31.58%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Fastest Player.

Who would you say is the fastest player?

I would probably go for Yngwie Malmsteen personally.

What do you people think?

Only talking about speed here nothing else.

I only gave a few chioces just select other and write down any other options if you have someone else in mind.

Cheers.

//Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 09:13 AM

Does anybody really care who the fastest player is?

It's not really the kind of thing you measure with a poll, anyway... either someone is the fastest, or they're not. There really isn't any opinion involved.
post #3 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

yes well who is fastest then?
post #4 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 09:26 AM
deleted username

For a while, I thought it was Chris Impellitterri.

Then I thought it was Shawn Lane.

Now I know who it is: Rusty Cooley. Hands-down the fastest player I've ever seen/heard in my life (and I've seen a lot of 'em). I haven't timed him, but I'm sure he's *past* 64th notes, maybe even up to 96th notes....on a 7-string! :-) I've not seen anyone that fast, that clean...that intense!

Think about this: There is a kid out there somewhere, with all of Rusty's CD-ROMs, Shawn's CD's, practicing insane hours, learning how to play faster than everyone. We haven't seen or heard from him/her yet, but we will.

P.S.- Who is Joe Petrucci? :-P
post #5 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan

Think about this: There is a kid out there somewhere, with all of Rusty's CD-ROMs, Shawn's CD's, practicing insane hours, learning how to play faster than everyone. We haven't seen or heard from him/her yet, but we will.
I agree about the general principle whether we ever here about him or not, or whether he goes off to college to become a doctor or something etc. the fastest player is sitting in his room somewhere practicing while we're all posting on the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
P.S.- Who is Joe Petrucci?
He plays in that band Dream Theatre, I think he took lessons from Steve Via
post #6 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 10:52 AM

Rusty Cooley is an android. He plays faster than is humanly possible.

It's too bad Rusty has yet to master the art of song writing/ tasteful soloing because when and if he ever does he has the potential to inspire a new generation of shredders much like Yngwie. I'm afraid though that he will always be just a fast player without the final piece. Lucky thing for him that instructional videos are a great source of income.
post #7 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

My friend just sent me a video clip of a guitarist named Michael Angelo Now he IS fast....

So I thought I'd add him in the list in case any of you knwo this guy.

//Me
post #8 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 12:26 PM
EKG

Myself...

I can play the fastest chromatic scale on a single string
post #9 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Myself...

I can play the fastest chromatic scale on a single string
really? Dude, that's like, amazing!

and Kevan, I thought it doubled, so he'd be going from 64ths to 128ths...
post #10 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 03:52 PM

You should hear how fast I am with a slide.
post #11 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 05:37 PM

After rethinking the "fastest player" thing I am going to say Paul Gilbert is fastest. I forgot that he put that whole debate to rest by attaching three picks to the end of a drill bit. No one is faster than the electric drill
post #12 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 09:13 PM

Oh, and did I mention, WHO CARES?? Speed is the least important aspect of playing.
post #13 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 12:56 AM

Personally I could not care less who is the fastest guitarist. But anyway...

Check out a guy called Marcus Paus. If you want to hear him you can probably find him on Kazaa or something. Find the tune "Caspersens Secret Fetish". He even goes by the name Mr. Cucumber I think.

Can't stand listening to the songs, but as the topic says, who is the fastest. Well, I guess this guy?
post #14 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 04:13 AM
deleted username

I'd put Rusty up a Makita any day. :-) His hooks aren't something you're going to hear on KBPI anytime soon, but I think in time, his songwriting will eventually get to that level. No- I don't see him writing a song like "Mickey". LOL His playing with Outland showed a strong song-writing base that he can, and probably will, easily build on.

Some background: Rusty does everything fast. Since he was a kid, he's always gone as quick as possible. He told me some stories about racing BMX, then onto motocross (imagine a 130 lb. guy on a 250cc at full throttle. Can you say "ghost rider"? LMAO). On his drive down to Jemfest, he was visited by the highway patrol. Once again on his way back to Atlanta. He's just a fast guy. Asking Rusty to play slow is like asking to see Rich in a thong; it's something that probably won't happen (or shouldn't happen. LOL)

Michael Angelo Baito is pretty damn quick. He's up there with Impelliterri. We watched a few clips at Gabe's house; the guy can move some furniture! There's undeniable skill there, but not something I'm rushing out to buy.

The guy from Mr. Cucumber (Marcus) has been discussed here before. I listened to all the tracks on the MP3.com site, but couldn't figure out if he was actually fingering or sliding an E-Z-Chord thingy up and down the neck. Not clean playing either, if I remember correctly. I'd like to see him in person to see whatthehell is going on there (anyone got video?). The claims of 463 notes per second are a little outlandinsh too.

As most have said, speed is one of MANY aspects of playing the guitar. It's not the only thing. A mix of as many pieces as you can pick up is the best way to go (see also: Shawn Lane).

Jono- you've seen that kid too? Amazing, huh? :-)

P.S.- Sorry; it should have been "128th notes"...too much math that early in the day. :-) What comes after hemi-demi-semi-quaver? Hemi-demi-semi-fast as hell? LOL
post #15 of 241 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 06:09 AM

This has been discussed before, but i can't seem to find it
I've just finnish a discussion here in Norway on a newsgroup. Markus Paus, is the world fastest player.I'm afraid to tell you guys how many notes he plays in ONE second. You won't belive it... Check out this link : http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/27/mrcucumber.html
And listen to every song WoW!!!!

Tags
acoustic guitar , allan holdsworth , angelo batio , billy sheehan , bogner uberschall , crystal planet , eric clapton , eric johnson , frank gambale , guitar mag , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar shop , guitar tech , guthrie govan , jason becker , jeff beck , jimmy page , joe satriani , joe stump , john mclaughlin , john petrucci , john sykes , kirk hammet , mark knopfler , michael angelo batio , michael lee , michael lee firkins , michael romeo , paul gilbert , picking technique , playing guitar , ray vaughan , rob balducci , ron thal , rusty cooley , shawn lane , steel strings , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , string skipping , tony macalpine , uli jon roth , van halen , vernon reid , vinnie moore , yngwie malmsteen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode